|Yu-Gi-Oh: The Abridged Series - Episode 047|
Beyond The Fourth Wall
|English air date||
May 25, 2010
|Episode listing||Yu-Gi-Oh: The Abridged Series episode listing - season 3|
|Next||Penguin Ex Machina|
Beyond The Fourth Wall is the forty-seventh episode of Yu-Gi-Oh: The Abridged Series and the first episode of Season 3. The opening intro indicated the show being called "Yu-Gi-Oh: The Cancelled Series".
In memory of Maddie Blaustein. In other words, the blimp reaches Phallic Symbol Island, where the finals of the children's card game tournament will be fought, but they are captured by a Kaiba look-a-like from season 0
Kirbopher as Noah
MasakoX as Nesbitt
KaiserNeko as Johnson
Lanipator as Lector
Takahata101 as Crump
hbi2k as Gansley
ShadyVox as Jaden
- The episode is dedicated to Maddie Blaustein, who did numerous voice acting parts for 4Kids, including Solomon Muto, Sartorius, Rex Goodwin for several episodes before her death, and others. One of her more well-known voices was Meowth on Pokémon - in the episode, Meowth's cry of "Meowth, that's right!" is an excerpt from the show.
- Yugi's comment, "That's weird. I don't remember any of this happening in the manga." alludes to the fact that this story arc is exclusive to the TV series.
- The casts' initial belief that the guns don't shoot real bullets is another joke at censorship.
- Tristan's line "Your voices changed? That's impossible!" is a nod to the fact that Tristan's voice actors changed early on in the series (Sam Regal starting from episodes 1-10 and replaced by Greg Abbey from episode 11 onwards)
- Yami's opening comment is about the plagiarism accusations leveled at Nick Simmons for his comic Incarnate, which copied from various manga and from deviantArt.
- The cards at the beginning are Ash, Yoh Asakura, Chris, Lok, and Luffy. All of them are characters from anime franchises owned by 4Kids at some point.
- Yugi references the movie 2012 when the blimp starts shaking.
- When Joey falls on Tristan and Duke's pelvic areas, the three of them cry out "Yowie!", a homophone for yaoi.
- When the blimp appears to be crashing into the ocean, the computer remarks "I hope you played BioShock", a video game about a technologically advanced dystopia under the Atlantic Ocean.
- Noah quotes the following and more when he appears on the video screen: Star Trek, The Outer Limits, and Wizard of Oz.
- The scene of the blimp being drawn into the battleship has the music that played when the Millennium Falcon was being drawn into the Death Star in the movie Star Wars: A New Hope.
- The Big Five make their opening like Team Rocket from Pokemon, with Meowth at the end saying his usual line "Meowth! That's right!"
- The Big Five refer to Avatar: The Last Airbender.
- The credits song is The Star Wars Rap.
- The closing text refers to the TV show Firefly, also indirectly referenced in the previous episode.
- The end credits sound clip is from Suburban Commando.