|Yu-Gi-Oh: The Abridged Series - Episode 035|
A Tale Of Two Tournies
|English air date||
7 March 2009
|Episode listing||Yu-Gi-Oh: The Abridged Series episode listing - season 2|
|Previous||Dork Side Of The Moon|
|Next||The Man Who Would Be Steve|
In which LittleKuriboh attempts to abridge around 70 episodes in the space of seven minutes without losing his sanity. Will he make it? The proof, as they say, is in the pancakes. I think they say that, anyway. If not, they should. Mmm, pancakes.
On their way to rescue Yugi's friends, Mokuba calculates that it will take one episode for the helicopter to reach their destination. Yami and Kaiba agree to pass the time with flashbacks of previous episodes so as to save the animators time and money, piss off their viewers, and send the show's ratings plummeting into the ground.
The episode proceeds into a clip show summarizing the first 34 episodes with new dialogue.
- The episode title is a pun on the book A Tale of Two Cities, and the opening line a reference to the book's first line.
- The passing cards in the opening include Ralph Wiggum (from The Simpsons TV show), Doctor Robotnik (from Sonic the Hedgehog game franchise), Buddy Christ (from Dogma), Joss Whedon and Elmo (from Sesame Street TV show).
- This is the first episode to turn the fly-by cards into a running gag.
- Pegasus talks about Konami being unable to do anything about his dueling tournament, referencing their legal dispute about TCG.
- Tristan refers to himself as "the Jar Jar Binks of this show," as Jar Jar Binks is an often mocked and hated character of the Star Wars movie prequel trilogy. Later in the episode, Tristan talks in the same manner as Jar Jar whilst reciting a line of dialogue from Star Wars, Episode I: The Phantom Menace.
- Mai Valentine states that she is of "no relation to Faye Valentine," which is the nickname of the pornographic actress Faye Reagan.
- It is also the name of a character in Cowboy Bebop, who is also very shapely and wears revealing clothes.
- "Exodia go down the hole..." is a reference to Little Plucky's catchphrase of "[item] go down the hole..."
- Yugi mockingly calls himself Knuckles the Echidna, whom Dan Green also voices, from Sonic the Hedgehog game franchise.
- Kaiba retorts to the above reference by calling himself "the god-damn Kaibaman," which is a reference to the comic book superhero Batman's most infamous line of dialogue among fans ("I'm the god-damn Batman").
- Joey mentions the Jonas Brothers band.
- Kaiba mentions his disappointment of "the Nintendo Wii version."
- Keith frustratingly talks about not wanting "to be a an American Idiot," referencing the title and lyrics of a Green Day song.
- The song of Magical Trevor is played, from Weebl's cartoons.
- Tristan says "This is a bug hunt! A bug hunt! Game over man, game over!" which is dialogue from the movie Aliens.
- Gozaburo's line during the stinger is from the movie There Will Be Blood, as spoken by the character Daniel Plainview, who is also a ruthless businessman.
- The evil satanic message said by Rebecca Hawkins's teddy bear once reversed would say "You have way too much time on your hands".