|Yu-Gi-Oh! GX - Episode 167|
Ongaeshi Dyueru! Kuronosu Basasu Kanzo Doroppuauto Bōi
Gratitude Duel! Cronos vs Original Dropout Boy
|Japanese air date||
December 26, 2007
|Episode listing||Yu-Gi-Oh! GX episode listing (season 4)|
|Previous||Armed Dragon VS Dragoon D-END!|
|Next||Opening of Graduation Duel! Neos vs Black Flame Dragon of Horus|
"Gratitude Duel! Cronos vs. Original Dropout Boy" is the one hundred and sixty-seventh episode of the Yu-Gi-Oh! GX anime. It first aired in Japan on December 26, 2007.
|This summary is currently incomplete.|
Hassleberry and Blair have finished the graduation album photos and hand the flash drive containing them to Dr. Crowler. He previews the photos, and privately seems upset that everyone is growing up and leaving Duel Academy. Meanwhile, Jaden has been skipping classes again, and Hassleberry and Blair inform him that Crowler's manner has changed. He chastises the third year students, making them do tests in basic math to ensure they can calculate Life Points, write Chinese text to understand card effects, and even makes them do push-ups. He then begins canceling classes, and the students begin to fear that they won't have sufficient grades to graduate if he keeps doing so.
Crowler goes to great lengths to hide from his students, and this ultimately results in a chase across the Academy, even leading them through Chancellor Sheppard's office. They finally corner him, and he states he won't allow them to graduate. Jaden asks why, and Crowler reveals that Jaden himself does not have sufficient points to graduate and even calls him "drop-out boy", something he hadn't done in long time (This expression is usually changed to "Slifer Slacker" in the dub). Jaden challenges Crowler to a Duel, and the latter accepts, with him promising to allow everyone to graduate should Jaden defeat him.
Jaden Summons "Elemental Hero Flame Wingman" in his first turn. Crowler expects this, and removes from play "Flame Wingman" using his "Unfinished Time Box" Trap Card when "Flame Wingman" destroys his "Ancient Gear Soldier". He then successfully Summons 3 "Ancient Gear Golems" and reduces Jaden's Life Points to 200, thanks to their Piercing effects. Jaden comments that Crowler is a great teacher, and thanks him for showing him such an awesome combo. He strikes back using "Elemental Hero Flare Neos" and "Instant Neo Space". At this point, Crowler breaks down crying, and reveals that he doesn't want them to graduate as he will miss them. Many of the students even begin cheering for Crowler, telling him not to give up. Crowler unveils his most powerful monster - "Ultimate Ancient Gear Golem", with an attack of 4400. Despite being reduced 100 Life Points, Jaden still appears optimistic, and Crowler himself wishes to see how Jaden will turn the situation around and defeat him.
Jaden shows him just that, by freeing his "Flame Wingman" from "Unfinished Time Box" with a combination of "Elemental Hero Air Neos" and "Cyclone Wing". He activates "Demise of the Land", which lets him activate "Skyscraper" in the middle of his Battle Phase, and destroying Crowler's "Ancient Gear Golem" with "Elemental Hero Flame Wingman", winning this Duel the same way he won their first Duel. Crowler comments that he's learned just as many things from his students as they've hopefully learned from his. With this, Crowler begins teaching classes again, but forces Jaden to do all the work he's missed in his skipped classes.
Featured Duel: Jaden Yuki vs. Vellian Crowler
Turn 1: Crowler
Turn 2: Jaden
- Activates "Polymerization", sending his Elemental Heroes "Avian" and "Burstinatrix" from his hand to the Graveyard to Fusion Summon "Elemental Hero Flame Wingman" (2100/1200) in Attack Position.
- "Flame Wingman" attacks and destroys "Ancient Gear Soldier", with Crowler taking damage equal to his destroyed monster's ATK (Crowler: 4000 → 2700).
- Crowler activates his face-down "Unfinished Time Box", which banishes "Flame Wingman" (since it battled one of Crowler's monsters this turn) and also lets Crowler draw a card.
- Summons "Elemental Hero Clayman" (800/2000) in Defense Position.
Turn 3: Crowler
- Activates "Crazy Summon Gear", which targets "Clayman": Jaden must now Special Summon up to 2 Warrior-Type monsters from his Deck, choosing their battle positions, while Crowler can Special Summon a monster from his Graveyard, and all other copies of that summoned monster. Jaden summons "Elemental Hero Sparkman" (1600/1400) in Attack Position, and "Elemental Hero Wildheart" (1500/1600) in Defense Position, while Crowler summons "Ancient Gear Soldier" (1300/1300) from his Graveyard and 2 more copies from his Deck.
- Activates "Spell Gear", sending his 3 "Ancient Gear Soldiers" to the Graveyard and Special Summoning 3 "Ancient Gear Golems" (3000/3000) in their place, one from his Deck and two from his hand, ignoring the summoning conditions.[Notes 1]
- The 3 "Ancient Gear Golems" attack and destroy Jaden's monsters, while inflicting Piercing damage on his Defense Position monsters (Jaden: 4000 → 3000 → 1600 → 200).
- Sets a card.
Turn 4: Jaden
- Sends the top 5 cards of his Deck ("Elemental Hero Necroshade", "Elemental Hero Neos", "Neo-Spacian Flare Scarab", "Necro Gardna" and "Hero Signal") to the Graveyard to activate "Take Over 5": During his Standby Phase, he may banish this card from the Graveyard to draw 1 card. In addition, while "Take Over 5" is in the Graveyard, he is immune to effects that send cards from his Deck to the Graveyard.
- Activates "Miracle Contact", returning "Elemental Hero Neos" and "Neo-Spacian Flare Scarab" from his Graveyard to his Deck, Special Summoning "Elemental Hero Flare Neos" (2500/2000) in Attack Position.
- Equips "Flare Neos" with "Instant Neo Space": "Flare Neos" can now remain on the field instead of returning to Jaden's Deck at the End Phase.
- "Flare Neos" also gains 400 additional ATK for each Spell and Trap Card on the field, and there are 3. (3700/2000)
- "Flare Neos" attacks and destroys 1 of Crowler's "Ancient Gear Golems" (Crowler: 2700 → 2000).
Turn 5: Crowler
- Activates "Ancient Gear Workshop", returning the "Ancient Gear Golem" in his Graveyard to his hand.
- Activates "Polymerization", sending to his Graveyard the "Ancient Gear Golem" in his hand and the other 2 on the field to Fusion Summon "Ultimate Ancient Gear Golem" (4400/3400) in Attack Position.
- "Ultimate Ancient Gear Golem" attacks "Flare Neos", with Jaden banishing "Necro Gardna" from his Graveyard to negate the attack.
- Activates his face-down "Desperado Battle", reducing "Ultimate Ancient Gear Golem's" ATK by 1000 for the duration of the turn and allowing it to attack again.
- As "Desperado Battle" has resolved, "Flare Neos" loses 400 ATK (3300/2000)
- "Ultimate Ancient Gear Golem" attacks and destroys "Flare Neos" (Jaden: 200 → 100).
- With "Flare Neos" having left the field while equipped with "Instant Neo Space", Jaden can now Special Summon "Elemental Hero Neos" (2500/2000) from his Deck.
Turn 6: Jaden
- Draws "Demise of the Land".
- During his Standby Phase, Jaden also removes the "Take Over 5" in his Graveyard from play to draw a card.
- Activates "Fifth Hope" and shuffles Elemental Heroes "Avian", "Burstinatrix", "Sparkman", "Clayman" and "Wildheart" from his Graveyard into his Deck; in exchange, he can draw 2 cards.
- Summons "Neo-Spacian Air Hummingbird" (800/600).
- Returns "Neos" and "Air Hummingbird" from the field to his Deck, Special Summoning "Elemental Hero Air Neos" (2500/2000) in Attack Position.
- As Jaden's Life Points are lower than Crowler's, "Air Neos" gains ATK equal to the difference, which is 1900. (4400/2000)
- Equips "Air Neos" with "Cyclone Wing": When "Air Neos" attacks, 1 Spell/Trap on the field can be targeted and destroyed.
- "Air Neos" attacks "Ultimate Ancient Gear Golem", destroying both monsters, but now, "Cyclone Wing" destroys "Unfinished Time Box". This returns "Elemental Hero Flame Wingman" (2100/1200) to the field and under Jaden's control.
- Upon being destroyed, the effect of "Ultimate Ancient Gear Golem" Special Summons the original "Ancient Gear Golem" (3000/3000) from Crowler's Graveyard while ignoring the Summoning conditions.
- Activates "Demise of the Land" (since Crowler Special Summoned a monster): This allows him to activate a Field Spell Card from his Deck, and he chooses "Skyscraper".
- "Flame Wingman" attacks "Ancient Gear Golem", while gaining 1000 extra ATK from "Skyscraper". "Ancient Gear Golem" is destroyed (Crowler: 2000 → 1900).
- "Flame Wingman" inflicts damage to Crowler equal to his destroyed monster's ATK (Crowler: 1900 → 0).
- Jaden wins.
The following cards appeared in this episode. Cards in italics debuted here.
- ↑ In the TCG/OCG, "Spell Gear" can only Summon up to 2 "Ancient Gear Golems", and any 3 "Ancient Gear" card can be sent from the field to the Graveyard for its effect.