|Yu-Gi-Oh! GX - Episode 159|
Darkness No Shinsou! Judai VS Fubuki
The Truth Behind Darkness! Judai VS Fubuki
|Japanese air date||
October 31, 2007
|Episode listing||Yu-Gi-Oh! GX episode listing (season 4)|
|Previous||Farewell, Duel Academia! The Path Judai Chooses|
|Next||Fusing Souls! Neos VS F.G.D.|
"The Truth Behind Darkness! Judai VS Fubuki" is the one hundred and fifty-ninth episode of the Yu-Gi-Oh! GX anime. It first aired in Japan on October 31, 2007.
Atticus endeavors to recover his lost memories of what happened in the Abandoned Dorm, and Duels Jaden at that location with Nightshroud's "Red-Eyes Darkness Dragon" in the hopes of it acting as a trigger for his memories. Yusuke Fujiwara continues his mysterious activities.
|This summary is currently incomplete.|
Atticus confronts Yusuke in the Abandoned Dorm. Fujiwara asks Atticus what he's done to Fujiwara, as if Fujiwara is separate person. Atticus denies knowing, and Fujiwara's eyes glow red. Before he can harm Atticus, Axel arrives and throws a gas grenade, allowing him to get Atticus to safety. Atticus is rendered unconscious, and ends up in the infirmary. Here, Axel meets up with Alexis and Jaden, revealing to them that he was hired by Maximillion Pegasus of Industrial Illusions to investigate the cards that do not function properly with Duel Disks anymore. He states that he believes it's the island itself causing the phenomenon, and that Yusuke Fujiwara is the key to the incident.
Axel reveals that after Kagemaru was stopped by Jaden, he released all the scholarship students that had been used in the experiment for testing purposes. The only one who didn't return was Yusuke Fujiwara. Prior to his disappearance, Fujiwara was in the same year as Atticus and Zane, and the three were regarded as the best Duelists and students at Duel Academy. There were also rumors that Fujiwara had his own independent project, and Jaden realizes it must have been research into Nightshroud. Knowing that Atticus himself was once possessed by Nightshroud's dark powers, Jaden attempts to wake him up and question him. Alexis tells him to stop, but Jaden is insistent and continues to ask Atticus. This earns him a slap from Alexis. She states that Hassleberry was right - Jaden truly has changed. Jaden responds that there are times that you cannot turn back - even if you want to. Jaden then leaves the infirmary.
A bit later, Alexis is shown inserting flowers into a glass vase and remembering what Jaden told her earlier. She then takes the vase of flowers to the infirmary, questioning herself what has happened to make Jaden act so different. When Alexis enters the infirmary, she finds Atticus missing. She then drops the vase of flowers she was holding, causing it to break. Alexis then rushes over to where her brother was originally resting and looks around the infirmary for a clue on who took Atticus out of the infirmary.
At the Slifer Red dorm, Jaden interrogates the spirit of Professor Banner, trapping the spirit in a drawstring pouch and threatening to flush him the down the toilet. As Banner was involved in Kagemaru's plans, he wants to know any information Banner has. Banner claims that Atticus already had Nightshroud's powers - they did not give them to him. Outside, Atticus is slumped on the stairs, having left the infirmary without informing anyone. He tells Jaden to take him to the Abandoned Dorm. Upon arriving, Atticus says he can't remember what transpired in this building. Alexis, Hassleberry, Syrus and Chazz track them there and question what Jaden is doing. Jaden claims a new threat will arrive soon, and that Atticus holds the answers to it - though he does not remember them. Atticus tells Jaden to Duel him, hoping that using Nightshroud's signature card in this specific area will trigger the memories. Atticus takes out the Nightshroud card, and the dark aura seeps from it, transforming into the mask. Atticus claims that one of two things will happen - he will recover his memories during the Duel, or Nightshroud will again possess him, as he did during his Duel with Zane.
Atticus gains an early lead with "Inferno Fire Blast". After Jaden's successful counterattack, some of his memories begin to return. He recalls standing in the Abandoned Dorm, and Fujiwara, not himself wearing the Nightshroud mask, claiming to have found "the ultimate power". Atticus fights to maintain control of his body and not succumb to Nightshroud once more. Atticus Summons "Red-Eyes Darkness Metal Dragon". When Jaden activates "Common Soul", Atticus accurately surmises Jaden's strategy - he aimed to use "Contact Soul" to Summon "Neo-Spacian Grand Mole", allowing him to return "Red-Eyes Darkness Metal Dragon" to his hand and attack directly with "Elemental Hero Neos". The effect of "Red-Eyes Darkness Metal Dragon" then negates this. However, Jaden's backup strategy prevails and he wins the Duel. The mask of Nightshroud then turns back into the Nightshroud card while the darkness that was affecting Atticus dissipates away from his body. Alexis, Chazz, Syrus, and Hassleberry rush over to Atticus and check to make sure he is okay. Jaden then runs over to where the group is, but Alexis screams at him to not come any closer as she thinks Jaden was responsible for putting her brother through all this. Atticus however reveals that he willingly wanted to do this to his sister's shock.
Through the Duel, Atticus remembers everything. He reveals that Yusuke Fujiwara had had far greater talent at Dueling than himself, or even Zane. However, his passion for Dueling led him abnormal research. Discovering the powers of the "World of Darkness", Fujiwara was willing to sacrifice his own soul, as long as it meant gaining power, as it would also mean gaining eternal life. His hand bleeding, he allows the blood to drip onto an stone circle on the ground. The dark powers activate, and Fujiwara and Atticus are both pulled into a floating abyss. Fujiwara apologizes for involving Atticus, and gives him the Nightshroud mask he had been wearing, stating he no longer needs it. Atticus never donned the mask himself until he pulled into another dimension as part of Professor Banner's test. He used the powers to survive in that world, alluding to his defeat of Gravekeeper's Chief and obtaining his half of the Shadow Charm pendant. Atticus states Fujiwara was consumed by Nightshroud's power and died. A voice says that is not true. Fujiwara himself appers. Jaden claims he is a fake, while Fujiwara states that Atticus "abandoned his master". Jaden holds up "Honest" and urges him to reveal his true identity as the Fujiwara's former Spirit Partner.
Featured Duel: Jaden Yuki vs. Atticus RhodesEdit
Turn 1: Jaden
Turn 2: Atticus
- Summons "Red-Eyes Black Chick" (800/500) in Attack Position.
- Sends "Red-Eyes Black Chick" to the Graveyard: In doing so, he can Special Summon "Red-Eyes Black Dragon" (2400/2000) from his hand.
- Activates the Normal Spell Card "Inferno Fire Blast": "Red-Eyes Black Dragon" cannot attack this turn, but Jaden takes damage equal to its original ATK (Jaden: 4000 → 1600 LP).
- Tributes "Red-Eyes Black Dragon" to Special Summon "Red-Eyes Darkness Dragon" (2400/2000) in Attack Position.
- "Red-Eyes Darkness Dragon" gains 300 ATK for every Dragon-Type monster in Atticus' Graveyard, and there are 2 (2400 → 3000/2000).
- "Red-Eyes Darkness Dragon" attacks and destroys "Elemental Hero Clayman".
- Jaden activates the Normal Trap Card "Hero Signal": As a monster he controlled was destroyed in battle and sent to his Graveyard, he can Special Summon an "Elemental Hero" monster, Level 4 or below, from his hand or Deck. He targets "Elemental Hero Bubbleman" (800/1200) in Defense Position
- Sets a card.
Turn 3: Jaden
- Equips the Equip Spell Card "Grade Sword" to "Bubbleman": It gains 300 ATK (800 → 1100/1200) and can be a Double Tributer, if Jaden Tribute Summons a Warrior-type monster.
- Tributes "Bubbleman" to Summon "Elemental Hero Neos" (2500/2000) in Attack Position.
- Equips the Equip Spell Card "Neos Force" to "Neos": It gains 800 ATK (2500 → 3300/2000), and if the equipped "Elemental Hero Neos" destroys 1 of Atticus' monsters in battle and sends it to the Graveyard, Atticus takes damage equal to the ATK of the destroyed monster, but during the End Phase of the turn "Neos Force" was activated, it will shuffle itself back into Jaden's Deck.
- "Neos" attacks and destroys "Red-Eyes Darkness Dragon" (Atticus: 4000 → 3700 LP).
- "Neos Force" inflicts damage to Atticus, equal to the ATK of "Red-Eyes Darkness Dragon" (Atticus: 3700 → 700 LP).[Notes 2]
- Atticus activates the Normal Trap Card "Red-Eyes Spirit": Since "Red-Eyes Darkness Dragon" (2400/2000) was destroyed in battle this turn, he can Special Summon it from the Graveyard (while ignoring the Summoning conditions).
- "Red-Eyes Darkness Dragon" gains 300 ATK for every Dragon-Type monster in Atticus' Graveyard, and there are still 2 (2400 → 3000/2000).
- During the End Phase, "Neos Force" shuffles itself back into Jaden's Deck ("Elemental Hero Neos": 3300 → 2500/2000).
Turn 4: Atticus
- "Red-Eyes Darkness Dragon" attacks and destroys "Neos" (Jaden: 1600 → 1100 LP).
- Sets a card.
Turn 5: Jaden
- Activates the Normal Spell Card "Convert Contact": Since he controls no cards on the field, Jaden can send 2 "Neo-Spacian" monsters to the Graveyard (1 from his hand, and 1 from his Deck) and draw 2 cards. "Neo-Spacian Flare Scarab" is targeted from his hand, and "Neo-Spacian Air Hummingbird" is targeted from his Deck.
- Activates the Normal Spell Card "O - Oversoul": Jaden can Special Summon an "Elemental Hero" Normal Monster from his Graveyard, in Attack Position. He targets "Elemental Hero Neos" (2500/2000).
- Activates the Normal Spell Card "Elemental Storm", targeting "Elemental Hero Neos" again: "Neos" cannot attack this turn, but now, "Elemental Storm" can target a monster Atticus controls and destroy it, if its original ATK is weaker than the original ATK of "Neos". "Elemental Storm" targets "Red-Eyes Darkness Dragon" to be destroyed
- Atticus activates the Normal Trap Card "Magic-Reflection Armor - Metal Plus": It is equipped to "Red-Eyes Darkness Dragon", and can negate the activation and effect of Spell Cards that target the equipped monster and destroy them. "Elemental Storm" is negated and destroyed.
- Sets 2 cards.
Turn 6: Atticus
- Tributes "Red-Eyes Darkness Dragon", while equipped with "Magic-Reflection Armor - Metal Plus" to Special Summon "Red-Eyes Darkness Metal Dragon" (2800/2400) in Attack Position.
- "Red-Eyes Darkness Metal Dragon" gains 400 ATK for every Dragon-Type monster in Atticus' Graveyard, and there are currently 3 (2800 → 4000/2400). In addition, "Red-Eyes Darkness Metal Dragon" can negate the activation and effect of any Spell Card, if Atticus discards a card first.[Notes 3]
- "Red-Eyes Darkness Metal Dragon" attacks "Elemental Hero Neos".
- Jaden activates the Normal Trap Card "Hero's Guard": By removing from play an "Elemental Hero" from his Graveyard (targeting "Elemental Hero Bubbleman"), this turn, "Elemental Hero Neos" cannot be destroyed in battle, and any Battle Damage he would take is halved; in addition, Jaden can draw 1 card (Jaden: 1100 → 350 LP).
Turn 7: Jaden
- Activates the Normal Spell Card "Contact Soul": Jaden can Special Summon a "Neo-Spacian" from his hand, Deck, or Graveyard, but all monsters that Jaden controls will return to his Deck during the End Phase.
- Atticus discards "Cave Dragon" from his hand; in doing so, "Red-Eyes Darkness Metal Dragon" negates the activation of "Contact Soul" and destroys it.
- As another Dragon-Type monster is in Atticus' Graveyard, "Red-Eyes Darkness Metal Dragon" gains 400 more ATK (4000 → 4400/2400).
- Activates the Normal Trap Card "Hero's Rule 1: Five Freedoms": Jaden can target a total of 5 cards from both Graveyards and remove them from play. He targets "Red-Eyes Black Chick", "Red-Eyes Black Dragon", "Red-Eyes Darkness Dragon", "Cave Dragon" and "Inferno Fire Blast".
- With no Dragon-Type monsters in Atticus' Graveyard, the ATK of "Red-Eyes Darkness Metal Dragon" returns to its original ATK (4400 → 2800/2400)
- Activates the Field Spell Card "Neo Space": "Elemental Hero Neos" gains 500 ATK (2500 → 3000/2000).
- Activates the Normal Spell Card "H - Heated Heart": "Elemental Hero Neos" gains 500 additional ATK (3000 → 3500/2000) and the Piercing effect for this turn.
- "Neos" attacks and destroys "Red-Eyes Darkness Metal Dragon" (Atticus: 700 → 0 LP).
- Jaden wins.
- Despite the circumstances, Hassleberry shows delight at seeing the legendary "Red-Eyes Black Dragon" (since he was not present during either of the previous times Atticus summoned it). this is possibly a reference to Rex Raptor, a well known Dino Duelist who used Red-Eyes many years before.
- The effect of "Magic-Reflection Armor - Metal Plus" protects the equipped monster from magic cards, much like the effect of "Magic Metal Force" (the original version of "Metalmorph"), which was used to transform the original Red-Eyes into "Red-Eyes Black Metal Dragon".
The following cards appeared in this episode. Cards in italics debuted here.
- ↑ In the TCG/OCG, this effect of "Elemental Hero Bubbleman" can only activate and resolve when it is Summoned while there are no other cards on the player's side of the field or in his/her hand.
- ↑ In the TCG/OCG, the Effect Damage of "Neos Force" is resolved in the Graveyard, not on the field.
- ↑ In the TCG/OCG, "Red-Eyes Darkness Metal Dragon" has different effects: It can be Special Summoned by banishing a Dragon-Type monster you control, and allows you to Special Summon another Dragon from your hand or Graveyard, once per turn.