|Yu-Gi-Oh! GX - Episode 153|
Confrontation of the Chosen Cards! Elemental Heroes VS Yubel
Return of the Supreme King, Part 1
|Japanese air date||
September 19, 2007
|English air date||
July 12, 2008
|Episode listing||Yu-Gi-Oh! GX episode listing (season 3)|
|Previous||The Power Within, Part 2|
|Next||Return of the Supreme King, Part 2|
"Return of the Supreme King, Part 1", known as "Confrontation of the Chosen Cards! Elemental Heroes VS Yubel" in the Japanese version, is the one hundred and fifty-third episode of the Yu-Gi-Oh! GX anime. It first aired in Japan on September 19, 2007 and in the US on July 12, 2008.
Jaden Yuki has finally rescued Jesse Anderson from Yubel. Jaden demands that Yubel stops involving his friends in this, and Yubel responds that they will have one final Duel. She flies up into the dark clouds above, telling Jaden she'll be waiting. Jesse regrets that he will not be able to fight alongside Jaden, as he is still weak in his current state. Instead, he gives Jaden his Deck. Jaden departs, and again has flashbacks to his Duel with Osamu. Yubel again blames Jaden for sending her into space, with Jaden responding that he did so hoping that her mind would be healed by the same waves that helped create the Neo-Spacians. Yubel responds that that did not happen - instead, she was exposed to The Light of Destruction which granted her new powers, but Jaden concludes it also adversely affected her mind. Yubel was able to psychicly reach out to Jaden from space, but this only resulted in giving him nightmares. Worried, his parents arranged for him to have a medical procedure done that would render his memories of her dormant. Thus, she wasn't able to reach him.
Yubel concludes that Jaden's ignoring her was just his form of showing her love. With that in her mind, she set out to return his love in the same way - by making him suffer, thus why she orchestrated the fall of all of his friends. At this point, Syrus Truesdale and Ojama Yellow also follow Jaden but haven't still reached. During the Duel, Yubel Summons herself, and unlike other instances of a Duel Spirit Summoning their own card, she does not move to the field. Instead, a second copy of her, lacking her Duel Disk, appears. Yubel uses her own card to inflict damage to Jaden, while gathering resources using "Spell Chronicle". Syrus and Ojama Yellow now arrive, and inform Jaden that their friends are not dead.Chazz Princeton, who revealed that they were sent to another alternate dimension and sealed there, as Yubel used their energies to increase her own strength. Syrus urges Jaden to take Bastion Misawa's previous advice - he must master the power of The Supreme King that lies within him and become his complete self.
Featured Duel: Jaden vs. Yubel
Turn 1: Yubel
- Summons "Samsara Lotus" (0/0) in Attack Position.
- Sets a card.
- Activates "Spell Chronicle". Now she can banish 5 target cards from her Deck, choosing "Zero Sprite", "Fiend Rose", "Mystical Space Typhoon", "Grinder Golem", and "Super Polymerization". For every 2 Spell Cards activated by Jaden, she can allow him to add 1 of those banished cards to her hand.[Notes 1]
Turn 2: Jaden
- Activates "Polymerization", which enables his Elemental Heroes "Avian" and "Burstinatrix" to fuse into "Elemental Hero Flame Wingman" (2100/1200) in Attack Position.
- As Jaden activated a Spell Card and it resolved successfullly, "Spell Chronicle" gains a Chronicle Counter.
- "Flame Wingman" attacks and destroys "Samsara Lotus".
- Yubel activates "Sinister Seeds": For every 1000 points of damage she would have received from "Flame Wingman's" attack, she can instead Special Summon a "Sinister Seed Token" instead of taking damage. 2 "Seed Tokens" are Summoned (100/100 each) in Defense Position, and she takes the residual damage of 100 (Yubel: 4000 → 3900).[Notes 2]
- Sets a card.
Turn 3: Yubel
- Tributes her "Seed Tokens" to Summon "Regenerating Rose" (0/1500) in Attack Position.
- "Regenerating Rose" attacks "Flame Wingman": When it attacks an Attack Position monster, its ATK becomes the ATK of the attack target (2100/1500).[Notes 3]
- Jaden activates his face-down "De-Fusion", changing "Flame Wingman" back into its Fusion Material Monsters—Elemental Heroes "Avian" (1000/1000) and "Burstinatrix" (1200/800)—who return to the field in Defense Position.
- A replay triggers, and Yubel cancels her attack, causing the ATK of her "Regenerating Rose" to drop back to 0.
- "Spell Chronicle" gains another Chronicle Counter, due to the activation of "De-Fusion".
- Removes the 2 Chronicle Counters from "Spell Chronicle": In doing so, Yubel reveals her 5 banished cards. Jaden targets "Zero Sprite", which is added to Yubel's hand.
Turn 4: Jaden
- Summons "Elemental Hero Sparkman" (1600/1400) in Attack Position.
- Equips "Sparkman" with "Spark Blaster", which can switch the position of any face-up monster to its opposite position. After this effect is used 3 times, "Spark Blaster" is destroyed.
- Due to the activation of "Spark Blaster", "Spell Chronicle" gains a Chronicle Counter.
- Jaden uses "Spark Blaster's" effect to switch "Regenerating Rose" to Defense Position.
- "Sparkman" attacks and destroys "Regenerating Rose", whose effect Special Summons 2 "Regenerating Rose Tokens" (1200/1200 each) when destroyed in battle.
Turn 5: Yubel
- Sets a card.
- Tributes her 2 "Regenerating Rose Tokens" to Summon "Yubel" (0/0) in Attack Position.
- "Yubel" attacks "Sparkman", but is not destroyed in battle, and Jaden receives the Battle Damage she would have taken. (Jaden: 4000 → 2400).[Notes 4]
- Since "Samsara Lotus" is in her Graveyard, she can Special Summon it back to the field (0/0) in Defense Position.[Notes 5]
- "Yubel" requires the Tribute of 1 monster to remain on the field, or it will be destroyed. "Samsara Lotus" is Tributed for this cost.
Turn 6: Jaden
- Switches "Sparkman" to Defense Position.
- Sets a card.
Turn 7: Yubel
- Sets a card.
- "Yubel" attacks "Elemental Hero Sparkman"
- Jaden activates "Hero Barrier", which negates the attack.
- Activates her face-down "Zero Sprite" and equips it to "Yubel": "Zero Sprite" reduces "Yubel's" ATK to 0, but allows it to attack once again in a row.
- "Yubel" attacks "Sparkman" again: Since "Sparkman" was in Defense Position, its original DEF is inflicted to Jaden as damage (Jaden: 2400 → 1000).[Notes 4]
- Special Summons "Samsara Lotus" from her Graveyard (0/0) in Defense Position.
- Tributes "Samsara Lotus" so that "Yubel" will remain on the field.
Duel continues in the next episode.
The following cards appeared in this episode. Cards in italics debutd here.
- ↑ In the TCG/OCG, "Spell Chronicle" can only banish Spells and Traps from his/her Deck, and one must send all cards in their hand to the Graveyard to activate it.
- ↑ In the TCG/OCG, "Sinister Seeds" does not negate or lessen damage, though one can Special Summon a token for every 500 Battle Damage taken.
- ↑ In the TCG/OCG, "Regenerating Rose" cannot increase its ATK to equal the ATK of an attack target.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 In the TCG/OCG, "Yubel" only inflicts damage to one's opponent when the opponent's monster declares the attack.
- ↑ In the TCG/OCG, the effect of "Samsara Lotus" can only be activated when the owner controls no Spell or Trap Cards.