|Yu-Gi-Oh! GX - Episode 143|
Vorukanikku Debiru Vāsasu Saikyō no Ībiru Hīrō
Volcanic Devil VS The Vilest Evil Hero
What Lies Beneath, Part 3
|Japanese air date||
July 4, 2007
|English air date||
May 10, 2008
|Episode listing||Yu-Gi-Oh! GX episode listing (season 3)|
|Previous||What Lies Beneath, Part 2|
|Next||The Forbidden Ritual, Part 1|
"What Lies Beneath, Part 3", known as "Volcanic Devil VS The Vilest Evil Hero" in the Japanese version, is the one hundred and forty-third episode of the Yu-Gi-Oh! GX anime. It first aired in Japan on July 4, 2007 and in the US on May 10, 2008.
The Dancing Fairies are flying around, questioning anyone they meet for any information about Jesse Anderson. They believe that if Jaden Yuki hears that Jesse is still alive, he may be able to fight the darkness in his heart. In The Supreme King's castle, Zane Truesdale's Duel with Chaos Sorcerer is in progress. Chaos Sorcerer Summons "Perfectly Ultimate Great Moth" and destroys Zane's "Cyberdark Dragon" decreasing his Life Points to 3800. Further in the castle, Aster Phoenix has been reduced to 500 Life Points in his own Duel against Skilled Dark Magician and Skilled White Magician who both have 2100 Life Points. He Summons "Destiny Hero - Plasma". The magicians counter by activating "End of the World", Tributing themselves to Ritual Summon "Demise, King of Armageddon".
In the throne room, Axel Brodie's Duel with The Supreme King is underway. During the Duel, the Eye of Orichalcum activates and Axel determines that if he wins this Duel, he may be able to rescue Jaden from himself and pierce the darkness around his heart. Elsewhere, Syrus Truesdale and Ojama Yellow are at the village, and the Dancing Fairies question whether they've seen Jesse, as they took Axel's request to "ask everyone" literally. Ojama Yellow, eager to impress them, claims he has seen him. Upon learning that Axel is Dueling The Supreme King, Syrus Summons "Kiteroid" and uses it to fly towards the castle.
Zane wins his Duel with Chaos Sorcerer by Summoning "Cyber End Dragon" and using it to destroy "Perfectly Ultimate Great Moth" (Chaos Sorceror only had 500 Life Points left at that point). Syrus and Ojama Yellow arrive, and the three hurry onward. Aster defeats his own opponents using "D - Force" to protect himself from "Demise, King of Armageddon's" effect and "Destiny Hero - Plasma" and "Plasma Counter" to destroy it (depleting the remainder of the Magicians' Life Points). They proceed to the throne room, where The Supreme King has Axel cornered. Axel manages to end the Duel in a draw, and as he does, he rushes at the Supreme King with the Eye of Orichalcum, which glows a brilliant red once more. With his Life Points at 0, the Eye penetrates the King's mind and the spirit of Jim Crocodile Cook is able to free Jaden.
Axel claims that the Supreme King inside Jaden's mind is destroyed, but Axel himself collapses and fades away. With the prophecy fulfilled, the Eye of Orichalcum shatters and the comet in the sky glows the same brilliant red. Zane throws the helmet of The Supreme King off the tower, telling his army that he is gone. The army flees, and the group escapes aboard "Cyberdark Dragon", leaving Guardian Baou as the only remaining Duelist of Death. Jaden is still unconscious, and they allow him to rest before they ask him questions. Ojama Yellow realizes that he was the one who claimed Jesse was still alive, but then realizes that he actually did see him briefly, though his eyes were not normal (they were Yubel's orange color).
|This summary is currently incomplete.|
Zane Truesdale vs. Chaos Sorcerer
Zane activates "Polymerization", fusing 3 "Cyber Dragons" in his hand and Fusion Summoning "Cyber End Dragon" (4000/2800) in Attack Position. It attacks and destroys "Perfectly Ultimate Great Moth" (Chaos Sorcerer 500 → 0).
Aster Phoenix vs. Skilled Dark Magician & Skilled White Magician
Aster Summons "Destiny Hero - Plasma" (1900/600) in Attack Position.
Skilled Dark Magician & Skilled White Magician's turn
Skilled Dark Magician & Skilled White Magician activate "End of the World", tributing "Skilled Dark Magician" and "Skilled White Magician" from their hands to Ritual Summon "Demise, King of Armageddon" (2400/2000) in Attack Position. They attempt to activate its effect, but Aster has "D - Force" in the top of his Deck, so "Destiny Hero - Plasma" negates the effect. Skilled Dark Magician & Skilled White Magician attack "Destiny Hero - Plasma" with "Demise, King of Armageddon", but Aster activates his face-down "Plasma Counter", halving the ATK of "Demise, King of Armageddon" (2400/2000 → 1200/2000) and increasing the ATK of "Destiny Hero - Plasma" by 1500 (1900/600 → 3400/600). "Demise, King of Armageddon" is destroyed (Skilled Dark Magician & Skilled White Magician 2100 → 0).
Axel Brodie vs. The Supreme King
Duel continues from the previous episode.
Turn 3: Axel
- Summons "Volcanic Slicer" (1800/1200) in Defense Position and activates its effect to inflict 500 damage, but not allowing Slicer to attack this turn (Supreme King 3500).
- Sets a card.
Turn 4: Supreme King
Turn 5: Axel
- Activates "Blaze Accelerator". As long as this card is face-up. Axel can send a Pyro-type with 500 or less ATK from his hand to the graveyard to destroy 1 monster his opponent controls, but forbidding him from attacking this turn
- Sends "Blaze Accelerator" to the Graveyard to activate "Tri-Blaze Accelerator". Now as long as this card is face-up. Axel can send a Pyro-type from his hand to the graveyard to destroy 1 monster his opponent controls, but forbidding him from attacking this turn
- Discards "Volcanic Hammerer" to destroy "Wild Cyclone" with "Tri-Blaze Accelerator" and inflict 500 damage, but forbidding him from attacking this turn (Supreme King 3000).
- Activates "Fire Recovery", discarding "Volcanic Blaster" to Special Summon "Volcanic Hammerer" (2400/1500).
- Activates "Hammerer's" effect to inflict 200 damage to The Supreme King for each Volcanic monster in his Graveyard, but in exchange Hammerer can't attack this turn. He has two Volcanic monsters currently in his Graveyard so he inflicts 400 damage to the Supreme King (Supreme King 2600).
Turn 6: Supreme King
- Activates "Dark Calling", removing "Dark Fusion" from his Graveyard to remove "Elemental Hero Clayman" from his Graveyard and "Elemental Hero Burstinatrix" from his hand to Fusion Summon "Evil Hero Infernal Sniper" (2000/2500).[Notes 1][Notes 2]
- "Infernal Sniper's" effect inflicts 1000 damage to Axel (Axel 1100).
Turn 7: Axel
- Sends "Tri-Blaze Accelerator" to the Graveyard to Special Summon "Volcanic Doomfire" (3000/1800).
- Attacks and destroys "Infernal Sniper" with "Doomfire".
- Attacks directly with "Volcanic Hammerer" (The Supreme King 200).
Turn 8: Supreme King
- Special Summons "Evil Hero Infernal Prodigy" (300/600) with its effect since he has no monsters out on the field.
- Tributes it to Summon "Evil Hero Malicious Edge" (2600/1800) with its effect, as it only requires one Tribute when the opponent controls a monster. This also activates "Infernal Prodigy's" effect, letting him draw a card. He draws "Super Polymerization".
- Equips "Vicious Claw" to "Malicious Edge", giving it 300 more ATK. In addition if "Malicious Edge" would be destroyed, "Vicious Claw" goes back to his hand instead and a monster other than the one "Malicious Edge" battled will be destroyed while inflicting 600 damage to Axel. Also after that an "Evil Token" will be Summoned to Axel's side of the field.
- Attacks "Volcanic Hammerer", but he can only attack "Volcanic Doomfire", due to the latter card's effect (Supreme King 100).
- "Vicious Claw's" effect lets it get destroyed in place of "Malicious Edge" Then, it is returned to his hand. Because of "Vicious Claw's" other effect, Volcanic Hammerer is destroyed and 600 damage is inflicted to Axel (Axel 500). An "Evil Token" (2500/2500) is then Special Summoned in Attack Position to Axel's side of the field.
- Activates his face-down "Evil Blast" to increase the ATK of the "Evil Token" by 500 (3000/2500) and inflict 500 damage to Axel in each of his Standby Phases.
- Sets a card.
Turn 9: Axel
- Draws a card. He would lose during this Standby Phase due to "Evil Blast's" effect, but Axel activates his face-down Quick-Play Spell Card "Volcanic Cyclone", discarding "Volcanic Counter" to destroy "Evil Blast", and the ATK of the "Evil Token" is decreased by 500 (2500/2500).
- Attacks "Malicious Edge" with "Volcanic Doomfire".
- The Supreme King activates his face-down "Super Polymerization", discarding "Vicious Claw" to fuse "Malicious Edge" and the "Evil Token" to Fusion Summon "Evil Hero Malicious Fiend" (3500/2100).[Notes 3] Due to the effect of "Malicious Fiend", "Doomfire" is forced to attack it (Axel 0).
- Axel removes the "Volcanic Counter" in his Graveyard from play to inflict the same amount of damage to The Supreme King (Supreme King 0), so the Duel ends in a draw.
The following cards appeared in this episode. Cards in italics debuted here.
- ↑ In the TCG/OCG, "Dark Calling" does not require you to remove a "Dark Fusion" from your Graveyard.
- ↑ How "Elemental Hero Clayman" entered the Graveyard is not known.
- ↑ In the TCG/OCG, "Evil Hero Malicious Fiend" cannot be Fusion Summoned except with "Dark Fusion", and "Super Polymerization" has no effect that ignores Summoning conditions.