|Yu-Gi-Oh! GX - Episode 142|
Kachinokoru mono ga Seigi! Haō Vāsasu Oburaien
The Victor is Righteous! The Supreme King VS O'Brien
What Lies Beneath, Part 2
|Japanese air date||
June 27, 2007
|English air date||
May 3, 2008
|Episode listing||Yu-Gi-Oh! GX episode listing (season 3)|
|Previous||What Lies Beneath, Part 1|
|Next||What Lies Beneath, Part 3|
"What Lies Beneath, Part 2", known as "The Victor is Righteous! The Supreme King VS O'Brien" in the Japanese version, is the one hundred and forty-second episode of the Yu-Gi-Oh! GX anime. It first aired in Japan on June 27, 2007 and in the US on May 3, 2008.
Axel plans an assault on The Supreme King's castle, and defeats Skull Knight in order to save one of the last remaining villages. Axel is backed up by Zane and Aster, who Duel the King's subordinates as Axel heads for the tower.
Axel Brodie begins his Duel with Skull Knight. Using "Magical Merchant", Skull Knight sends numerous Normal Monsters to the Graveyard and then Summons "Lycanthrope", whose effect does more damage for each such monster in the Graveyard. Axel is reduced to 100 Life Points by the end of Skull Knight's second turn. However, Axel defeats Skull Knight on his next turn, using a combination of "Volcanic Mine" and "Volcanic Doomfire". Skull Knight fades away, cursing Axel and claiming The Supreme King is invincible. In the Japanese version, he specifically tells Axel that he'll be waiting for him in Hell.
Axel captures Guardian of the Labyrinth (and its talking shield) and accepts the position of commander of the village's defenses. He instructs that the gates be immediately closed and for the village to assemble any and all Duelists present together. However, someone is already approaching the village, but it ends up being Zane Truesdale and Aster Phoenix leading a group of warriors they had freed from the prison camp, including "King's Knight", "Queen's Knight", "Jack's Knight" and "Warrior Lady of the Wasteland". Axel plans an immediate sneak attack on the Supreme King's castle, and Zane and Aster insist on accompanying him. They aim to find out what brought out such a sudden change in Jaden Yuki, and Aster speculates that if they can prove Jesse Anderson is still alive, they may be able to save Jaden from himself. Dancing Fairy offers to aide them by questioning everyone they can find on Jesse's status.
At the Supreme King's keep, Chaos Sorcerer reports that they now have an army of several thousand, and will soon begin the assault on the village. Zane, Axel, Aster and the now-hostage "Guardian of the Labyrinth's shield use Zane's "Cyberdark Dragon" to fly near the castle. The trio is dressed in the armor of "Dark Blade" and their plan to masquerade as the members of the Supreme King's army while the Guardian's shield guides them to the throne room. They encounter Chaos Sorcerer, who questions why they are not with the rest of the army. The Guardian's shield replies that they have a message from Skull Knight to deliver to The Supreme King. Chaos Sorcerer feigns believing them, but then attacks, stating that all of Skull Knight's orders go through him before they get to The Supreme King. Zane offers to Duel him, as Aster and Axel move on ahead, stating that he's had no real challenges since arriving in this dimension.
As they near the stairs, they are stopped by Skilled Dark Magician and Skilled White Magician. Aster Summons "Destiny Hero - Double Dude" and urges Axle to continue on while he Duels them. Axel reaches the throne room and The Supreme King questions why he returned. Axel says he's nowhere near him in terms of sheer power, but also says there are two kinds of power - the kind the King has, and the kind that courage provides. He fights for all the people who now need his power to survive - the same power that Jaden himself used to wield. The Duel begins, and The Supreme King gains an early lead, reducing Axel's Life Points to 2100 on his first turn.
|This summary is currently incomplete.|
Axel Brodie vs. Skull Knight
Turn 1: Skull Knight
Turn 2: Axel
- Activates "Blaze Accelerator". As long as this card is face-up Axel can send a Pyro-type monster with 500 ATK or less from his hand to the Graveyard to destroy one monster his opponent controls, but he'll be forbidden from attacking this turn if he does.
- Sends "Blaze Accelerator" to the Graveyard to activate "Tri-Blaze Accelerator". As long as this card is face-up, Axel can send a Pyro-type monster from his hand to the Graveyard to destroy one of his opponent's monsters and inflict 500 points of damage, but he can't declare an attack this turn if he does.
- Axel sends "Volcanic Scattershot" from his hand to the Graveyard so that "Tri-Blaze Accelerator" can destroy Skull Knight's Set monster and inflict 500 damage, but he cannot attack with any monsters after using this effect.
- Skull Knight activates his face-down card, "Reverse Effecter", which allows him to Flip Summon his face-down monster, since it was targeted by a Spell Card. "Magical Merchant" (200/700) is flipped face-up, so Skull Knight picks up cards from his Deck until he reaches a Spell or Trap Card. That card is added to his hand, and all the other picked-up cards are sent to his Graveyard.
- Using "Magical Merchant's" effect, Skull Knight sends 12 monsters to his Graveyard (revealed to be 2 "Gene-Warped Warwolfs", "Luster Dragon", "Archfiend Soldier", "Soul Tiger", "Mystical Elf", "Gigobyte", "Clown Zombie", "Fiend Scorpion", "Spiral Serpent", "Summoned Skull" and "Giant Soldier of Stone") before picking up "Synthesis Spell", which he adds to his hand.
- Due to the other effect of "Reverse Effecter", "Magical Merchant" goes to the Graveyard, so "Tri-Blaze Accelerator" loses its target, voiding its effect.
- The effect of the "Volcanic Scattershot" that Axel sent to the Graveyard activates, inflicting 500 damage to Skull Knight (Skull Knight: 4000 → 3500 LP).
- Summons "Volcanic Slicer" (1800/1200) in Attack Position.
- "Volcanic Slicer" inflicts 500 damage to Skull Knight with its effect (Skull Knight: 3500 → 3000 LP), but it cannot attack this turn.
- Sets 2 cards.
Turn 3: Skull Knight
- Activates "Synthesis Spell", tributing "Mad Dog of Darkness" and "Vorse Raider" from his hand to Ritual Summon "Lycanthrope" (2400/1800) in Attack Position.
- Equips "Lycanthrope" with "Undead Lineage", which will raise its ATK by 500 if it attacks an opponent's monster. Also, if "Lycanthrope" would be destroyed by a card effect, "Undead Lineage" will be sent to the Graveyard instead.
- "Lycanthrope" attacks and destroys "Volcanic Slicer", bringing its ATK to 2900 as it does so (Axel: 4000 → 2900 LP).
- Axel activates "Volcanic Armor", which inflicts 500 damage to Skull Knight, since he destroyed a FIRE monster (Skull Knight: 3000 → 2500 LP).
- Upon inflicting Battle Damage, "Lycanthrope" also inflicts 200 damage to Axel for every Normal Monster in Skull Knight's Graveyard. With 14 Normal Monsters in his Graveyard, Axel takes 2800 damage (Axel: 2900 → 100 LP).
Turn 4: Axel
- Sends "Tri-Blaze Accelerator" to the Graveyard to Special Summon "Volcanic Doomfire" (3000/1800) in Attack Position
- Activates "Volcanic Mine", Special Summoning "Bomb Tokens" to all of Skull Knight's open Monster Card Zones. 4 Tokens (1000/1000 each) are summoned.
- "Volcanic Doomfire" attacks and destroys "Lycanthrope" (Skull Knight: 2500 → 1900 LP). As it destroyed a monster in battle, "Volcanic Doomfire" also destroys all of Skull Knight's other monsters and inflicts 500 damage to him for each monster destroyed. The 4 "Bomb Tokens" are destroyed, inflicting 2000 damage to Skull Knight (Skull Knight: 1900 → 0 LP).
- Axel wins.
Axel Brodie vs. The Supreme King
Turn 1: Axel
- Sets a card.
Turn 2: Supreme King
- Activates "Dark Fusion", fusing his Elemental Heroes "Avian" and "Wildheart" into "Evil Hero Wild Cyclone" (1900/2300).
- "Wild Cyclone" attacks Axel directly, while preventing Axel from activating his face-down card until the Damage Step ends through its own effect (Axel 2100).
- As "Wild Cyclone" inflicted Battle Damage, its secondary effect destroys Axel's face-down "Firewall".
Duel continues in the next episode.
The following cards appeared in this episode. Cards in italics debuted here.