|Yu-Gi-Oh! GX - Episode 067|
Vāsasu Edo (Zenpen) Aratana Chikara! Akua Neosu
VS Edo (First Part) - A New Power! Aqua Neos
Homecoming Duel, Part 1
|Japanese air date||
January 11, 2006
|English air date||
October 2, 2006
|Episode listing||Yu-Gi-Oh! GX episode listing (season 2)|
|Next||Homecoming Duel, Part 2|
"Homecoming Duel, Part 1", known as "VS Edo (First Part) - A New Power! Aqua Neos" in the Japanese version, is the sixty-seventh episode of the Yu-Gi-Oh! GX anime. It first aired in Japan on January 11, 2006 and in the United States on October 2, 2006.
With the belief of recruiting more students for the Society of Light, Aster Phoenix returns to Duel Academy to challenge Alexis Rhodes, only to find that he'll be Dueling for the fate of the Slifer Red Dorm. However, Jaden Yuki makes a sudden and surprise return, and volunteers to be Aster's opponent in Alexis' place.
Alexis Rhodes is set to Duel Aster Phoenix. The fate of the Slifer Red dorm hangs in the balance. If Aster wins, then it will be demolished. If Alexis wins the dorm remains. Vice-Chancellor Bonaparte is confident that Aster will win, being a Pro League Duelist. Aster is slightly confused, however. He had met Chazz Princeton, prior to the Duel, who had assumed that Sartorius had sent Aster to help recruit more members for the Society of Light (in the dub he assumed he was there to defeat Jaden again). Aster has no clue what Chazz is talking about, despite Sartorius being his manager. Jaden Yuki finally makes it back to Duel Academy and is lead by a light into a cave. He meets another Neo Spacian there, and then hurries to the Academy. He takes Alexis' place in the Duel, and his rematch with Aster begins. Aster uses his "Destiny Heroes" again, and Jaden unveils Contact Fusion, which the "Neo-Spacians" can use to fuse with "Elemental Hero Neos" without "Polymerization". However, even he was unaware that this results in the Fusion Monster returning to the Fusion Deck at the End Phase, and is reduced to 200 Life Points via direct attacks as a result. Aster is confident he will win since Jaden has no clue on how to use his new cards, but Jaden refuses to give up and the dorm's fate hangs in Jaden's hands.
Featured Duel: Jaden Yuki vs. Aster Phoenix
Turn 1: Aster
- Aster draws "Destiny Hero - Diamond Dude" and subsequently Normal Summons it (1400/1600) in Attack Position.
- Activates "Diamond Dude's" effect to reveal the top card of his Deck. If that card is a Normal Spell Card, it will be sent to the Graveyard, and Aster can activate its effect on his next turn's Main Phase. He reveals "Graceful Charity", so it is sent to the Graveyard and its effect will be activated during Aster's next Main Phase.
Turn 2: Jaden
- Jaden draws "Neo-Spacian Aqua Dolphin" and subsequently Normal Summons it (600/800) in Attack Position.
- Activates "Fake Hero", Special Summoning "Elemental Hero Bladedge" (2600/1800) in Attack Position, however it won't be allowed to attack and it will return to Jaden's hand on the End Phase.
- Activates "Aqua Dolphin's" effect, discarding "Hero Kid" to look at Aster's hand and choosing a monster in it. If that monster has less ATK than a monster Jaden controls, that monster will be destroyed and Aster will take 500 damage. Jaden chooses "Destiny Hero - Captain Tenacious" (800/800). It is destroyed and Aster takes 500 damage (Aster 4000 → 3500).
- Sets 2 cards.
- During the End Phase, "Bladedge" returns to Jaden's hand.
Turn 3: Aster
- Aster draws.
- Due to the effect of "Destiny Hero - Diamond Dude", Aster activates "Graceful Charity's" effect from his Graveyard drawing 3 cards and discarding 2 from his hand ("Destiny Hero - Doom Lord" and "Ring of Magnetism").
- Activates the Field Spell Card "Mausoleum of the Emperor". Now both players can pay 500 Life Points times the number of monsters needed to Tribute Summon a monster.[Notes 1]
- Uses the effect of "Mausoleum of the Emperor" to Pay 1000 Life Points (Aster 3500 → 2500) and Summon "Destiny Hero - Dreadmaster" (?/?) in Attack Position.
- Since "Destiny Hero - Dreadmaster" was summoned, its effect activates, allowing Aster to Special Summon "Captain Tenacious" (800/800) and "Doom Lord" (600/800) from his Graveyard in Attack Position.[Notes 2]
- Due to the effect of "Dreadmaster", its ATK and DEF are equal to the combined original ATK of all other Destiny Heroes that Aster controls ("Dreadmaster": ? → 2800/? → 2800) .
- "Dreadmaster" attacks "Aqua Dolphin", but Jaden activates his set "Negate Attack", negating the attack and ending Aster's Battle Phase.
Turn 4: Jaden
- Jaden draws "Elemental Hero Neos".
- Uses the effect of "Mausoleum of the Emperor" to pay 1000 Life Points (Jaden 4000 → 3000) and Summon "Elemental Hero Neos" (2500/2000) in Attack Position.
- Contact Fuses "Neos" and "Aqua Dolphin" to Special Summon "Elemental Hero Aqua Neos" (2500/2000) in Attack Position.
- Activates the effect of "Aqua Neos", discarding "Bladedge" to destroy two random cards in Aster's hand.[Notes 3]
- Activates "H - Heated Heart", increasing the ATK of "Aqua Neos" by 500 this turn ("Aqua Neos": 2500 → 3000/2000) and granting it the ability to inflict piercing damage this turn.
- "Aqua Neos" attacks and destroys "Dreadmaster" (Aster 2500 → 2300).
- At the End Phase, the final effect of "Aqua Neos" activates, returning it to Jaden's Fusion Deck.
Turn 5: Aster
- Aster draws.
- "Doom Lord", "Diamond Dude", and "Captain Tenacious" all attack Jaden directly (Jaden 3000 → 2400 → 1000 → 200).
Duel continues in the next episode.
The following cards appeared in this episode. Cards in italics debuted here.
- When turn 4 begins, Jaden draws "Mausoleum of the Emperor" instead of "Elemental Hero Neos". This wasn't corrected in the dub.
- On numerous occasions, "Chrysalis Dolphin" can be seen on Jaden's Duel Disk, instead of "Neo-Spacian Aqua Dolphin".
- In the English dub, Jaden refers to "Neo-Spacian Aqua Dolphin" as "Aquos" when conducting his Fusion Summon for "Elemental HERO Aqua Neos".
- In the English dub, when Jaden explains the effect of "Elemental Hero Aqua Neos," he incorrectly says that the card destroys two cards from the opponent's Deck. "Aqua Neos" destroys two cards from the opponent's hand.
- ↑ In the TCG/OCG, one must pay 1000 Life Points per Tribute being replaced with "Mausoleum of the Emperor".
- ↑ In the TCG/OCG, "Dreadmaster's" effect only activates after being Special Summoned by the effect of "Clock Tower Prison".
- ↑ In the TCG/OCG, the effect of "Elemental Hero Aqua Neos" only forces the opponent to destroy 1 card in his/her hand.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 This card can be seen on the top of his Deck before the Duel.