|Yu-Gi-Oh! GX - Episode 055|
Tirano Kenzan Tōjō-zaurusu!
Tyranno Kenzan Appears-saurus!
A Hassleberry Hounding
|Japanese air date||
October 19, 2005
|English air date||
August 23, 2006
|Episode listing||Yu-Gi-Oh! GX episode listing (season 2)|
|Previous||Champion or Chazz-Been?|
|Next||Sad But Truesdale|
A Hassleberry Hounding, known as Tyranno Kenzan Appears-saurus! in the Japanese version, is the fifty-fifth episode of the Yu-Gi-Oh! GX anime.
One day, Syrus and Jaden were walking through the woods. They got caught sleeping in class, so Crowler made them deliver 14 new Duel Disks to students who have lost theirs. Jaden was wondering why so many people were losing their disks, and Syrus explained it was because of a bully that was challenging them to Duels and then taking them. Syrus had lost to this bully as well, so Jaden decided it was time to confront this guy and get the disks back.
They ran to river, and standing on the bridge, was the bully, Tyranno Hassleberry, the same Ra Yellow student that was picking on Crowler and Bonaparte when he arrived at the school. He tried to intimidate Jaden with his strength, but Jaden just shrugged it off and challenged him to a Duel. Hassleberry also had a bunch of other Ra Yellows who supported him, like an army troop. They and Syrus watched the Duel, and Jaden said if he wins, Hassleberry has to give all the Duel Disks he stole back.
Jaden: summoned Elemental Hero Wildheart (1500/1600) in defense mode
Hassleberry: summoned Gilasaurus. When summoned Gilasaurus counts as a special summon, so Hassleberry sacrificed him to summon Dark Driceratops (2400). He destroyed Wildheart and still did damage even though he was in defense.
Jaden (3200 LP): played the magic card, Monster Reincarnation, to discard Necroshade and bring back Wildheart to his hand. With Necroshade in the graveyard, Jaden summoned Bladedge (2600/1800) without a sacrifice and destroyed Driceratops.
Hassleberry’s troop was cheering him on. He started talking about how he came to Duel Academy. Hassleberry was the son of an army sergeant and when he joined the school and aced his entrance exams, he thought he would go to Obelisk Blue, but got stuck in Ra Yellow. Even though he was in Ra, Hassleberry made the best of it and formed a troop to show people how much power and friendship means to him.
Hassleberry (3800 LP): played the field spell, Jurassic World. It gives his dinosaurs 300 extra attack and defense points, makes them immune to trap cards, and when their attacked, they have the option of switching to defense mode. He then summoned Arcaeonis (300/1300), whose attack points raised to 600 and can attack Jaden directly. Hassleberry placed one card face down to end his turn.
Jaden (2600 LP): summoned Wildheart and attacked with Bladedge, but Hassleberry used his trap card, Amber Pitfall, which made Bladedge switch to defense mode and he has to stay in defense. Wildheart attacked, but because of Jurassic World, Arcaeonis switched to defense (1300 to 1600), blocking the attack and Jaden lost 100 life points. He placed two cards face down to end his turn.
Hassleberry: played the magic card, Modified Ultra Evolution, which let him sacrifice Arcaeonis to summon Black Tyranno (2600 to 2900), whose special ability can attack Jaden directly. He survived the attack, thanks to his trap card, Insurance. By returning it to his hand, Jaden was given 500 extra life points.
Meanwhile, Hassleberry noticed that his troop was getting bored and no longer cheered him on. He explained that every time he starts a troop, they always leave him when he needs them. He has also used the exact same Dueling strategy for each of his Duels. Jaden tried to teach Hassleberry that he’s stuck in the past and needs to learn to change his strategy if he wants to keep his friends.
Jaden: played the field spell, Skyscraper, to replace Jurassic World. This reduced Tyranno’s attack to 2600. Jaden then played Polymerization to fuse Avian and Wildheart to summon Elemental Hero Wildwingman (1900), whose special ability let Jaden discard one card to destroy Amber Pitfall. Wildwingman, whose attack was raised to 2900 due to Skyscraper, attacked Tyranno, and then Bladedge attacked directly. Jaden then played Diffusion to separate Wildwingman to Avian and Wildheart, and Avian attacked directly. Jaden won the Duel.
After the Duel, Hassleberry agreed to give back the Duel Disks. Later that night, Hassleberry went to the Slifer dorm. He decided to live in the dorm because he felt he could learn a lot about Dueling from Jaden.
Featured Duel: Jaden Yuki vs. Tyranno HassleberryEdit
- Jaden draws "Elemental Hero Wildheart" and subsequently Normal Summons it (1500/1600) in Defense Position.
- Hassleberry draws "Gilasaurus".
- Special Summons "Gilasaurus" (1400/400) in Attack Position via its own effect.
- Tributes "Gilasaurus" to Summon "Dark Driceratops" (2400/1500) in Attack Position.
- "Dark Driceratops" attacks and destroys "Wildheart". "Dark Driceratops" then inflicts piercing damage to Jaden (Jaden 4000 → 3200).
- Jaden draws "Elemental Hero Avian".
- Jaden's hand contains "De-Fusion", "Insurance", "Elemental Hero Bladedge", "Elemental Hero Necroshade", and "Monster Reincarnation".
- Activates "Monster Reincarnation", discarding "Elemental Hero Necroshade" to add "Wildheart" from his Graveyard to his hand.
- Activates the effect of "Necroshade" from his Graveyard, letting him Normal Summon "Elemental Hero Bladedge" (2600/1800) in Attack Position without Tribute.
- "Bladedge" attacks and destroys "Dark Driceratops" (Hassleberry 4000 → 3800).
- Hassleberry draws "Jurassic World" and subsequently activates it. Now all face-up Dinosaur and Winged-Beast type monsters will gain 300 ATK and DEF.[Notes 1]
- Summons "Archeonis" (300 → 600/1300 → 1600) in Attack Position.
- "Archeonis" attacks Jaden directly via its own effect (Jaden 3200 → 2600).
- Sets a card
- Jaden draws.
- Summons "Wildheart" (1500/1600) in Attack Position.
- "Bladedge" attacks "Archeonis", but Hassleberry activates his face-down "Amber Pitfall", negating the attack and switching "Bladedge" to Defense Position. While "Amber Pitfall" is face-up, Jaden is not allowed to switch the battle position of "Bladedge"
- "Wildheart" attacks "Archeonis", but the third effect of "Jurassic World" activates, switching "Archeonis" to Defense Position. The attack fails (Jaden 2600 → 2500).[Notes 2]
- Sets two cards.
- Hassleberry draws.
- Activates "Earthquake", changing all monsters on the field to Defense Position.
- Activates "New Ultra Evolution", Tributing "Archeonis" to Summon "Dark Tyranno" (2600 → 2900/1800 → 2100) in Attack Position.
- "Dark Tyranno" attacks Jaden directly via its effect(as all monsters Jaden controls are in Defense Position), but Jaden activates his face-down "Insurance", sending the other copy of "Insurance" he had face-down back to his hand.
- Since "Insurance" was returned from the field to Jaden's hand, its second effect activates, increasing Jaden's Life Points by 500 (Jaden 2500 → 3000).
- The attack continues (Jaden 3000 → 100).
- Jaden draws "Pot of Greed" and subsequently activates it, drawing two cards.
- Activates "Skyscraper", destroying "Jurassic World"("Dark Tyranno": 2900 → 2600/2100 → 1800). Now when an Elemental Hero battles a monster that is stronger than it, that Elemental Hero will gain 1000 ATK during damage calcualtion only.
- Activates "Polymerization", fusing "Wildheart" with "Elemental Hero Avian" to Fusion Summon "Elemental Hero Wild Wingman" (1900/2300) in Attack Position.
- Activates "Wild Wingman's" effect, discarding "Insurance" to destroy "Amber Pitfall".
- Switches "Bladedge" to Attack Position.
- "Wild Wingman" attacks "Dark Tyranno". The effect of "Skyscraper" activates during damage calculation ("Wild Wingman": 1900 → 2900/2300). "Wild Wingman" destroys "Dark Tyranno" (Hassleberry 3800 → 3500). After damage calculation, the ATK of "Wild Wingman" goes back to normal ("Wild Wingman": 2900 → 1900/2300).
- "Bladedge" attacks Hassleberry directly (Hassleberry 3500 → 900).
- Activates "De-Fusion", returning "Wild Wingman" to the Fusion Deck and Special Summoning "Wildheart" (1500/1600) and "Avian" (1000/1000) from the Graveyard in Attack Position.
- "Avian" attacks Hassleberry directly (Hassleberry 900 → 0).
- Jaden wins.
Differences in adaptationsEdit
- In the Japanese version, Kenzan's quest to collect 100 Duel Disks is meant to draw parallels to the legend of Benkei, who would collect the weapons of those he defeated at a bridge. He is defeated by his one-thousandth opponent, Minamoto Yoshitsune. Similarly, Kenzan is defeated by his one-hundredth opponent, Judai.
- In the dub, there is a running gag with Jaden calling Hassleberry different military-based positions instead of Sergeant and Hassleberry angrily having to correct Jaden. This is not present in the original.
The following cards appeared in this episode. Cards in italics debuted here.
- In the dub, the the appearance of "Elemental Hero Wild Wingman" is unchanged, despite the card itself using its international artwork.
- In Hassleberry's flashback it showed him ripping off his jumper sleeves in his dorm yet in Episode 53 it shows Hassleberry coming off the boat to Duel Academy with his jumper sleeves already ripped off.
- ↑ In the TCG/OCG, "Jurassic World" does not affect Winged Beast-type monsters.
- ↑ In the TCG/OCG, "Jurassic World" does not have this effect.