|Yu-Gi-Oh! GX - Episode 040|
A Lying Legend
|Japanese air date||
July 6, 2005
|English air date||
February 28, 2006
|Episode listing||Yu-Gi-Oh! GX episode listing (season 1)|
|Previous||The Dark Scorpions|
|Next||A Reason to Win|
"A Lying Legend", also known as "H-E-R-O Flash!" in the Japanese version, is the fortieth episode of the Yu-Gi-Oh! GX anime.
Far away, in a dark tomb, an Egyptian pharaoh was brought back to life with the power of a Shadow Charm. As he awoke, he asked for his chariot, for he had to fulfill his duties to the shadows.
Back at Duel Academy, Professor Banner taught a lesson about Duel Monster champions that existed in Ancient Egypt, like Abidos the Third. He was a Pharaoh that never once lost a Duel. Jaden Yuki thought what it would be like to Duel Abidos now, and he, Chazz Princeton, and Syrus Truesdale got in trouble for talking in the class and gave them detention. Later that night, Alexis Rhodes and Zane met at the lighthouse. Alexis was still worried about Atticus, who still hasn’t recovered his memories, but Zane said everything will be alright. All of a sudden, an army of Mummies came out of the ground and attacked them. As Jaden, Chazz, and Syrus walked back to the dorm, they heard Alexis scream and ran to the lighthouse. As soon as they saw them, more mummies attacked Jaden and demanded his Spirit Key, which meant they were sent by the Shadow Riders. They looked up to the sky as a golden flying ship appeared and sucked them inside. The Key Keepers, including Banner, found themselves on the floating ship with what appeared to be a bunch of guards and their leader, Abidos. Banner fainted when he saw that Abidos was brought back to life and Jaden challenged him to Duel for his Spirit Key. Abidos, being the 5th Shadow Rider, accepted and was ready to win.
Abidos was complaining that he should win because he was a Pharaoh, but Jaden didn’t think he was all that great because he hasn’t made some smart moves and his monsters weren’t all that great. Abidos finally realized that his servants let him win his Duels because they feared he would punish them for beating him. Jaden decided it was time Abidos learned how to really Duel and this Duel was a good start.
Abidos was upset because he realized his life was a lie. He was hoping Jaden would come back with him to the spirit world and teach him to Duel, but Jaden stayed in the real world. They said goodbye to the friendly Shadow Rider. As the Key Keepers walked back, Jaden noticed how he was building a collection of Shadow Charms, after getting Abidos’ headband. Little did they know, Banner was watching them and he said that soon, Jaden will face his biggest test yet.
Featured Duel: Jaden vs. AbidosEdit
Turn 1: Abidos
Turn 2: Jaden
- Jaden draws.
- Abidos activates his face-down "The First Sarcophagus". Now during each of Jaden's End Phases, Abidos must place a card from his hand or Deck into his Spell & Trap Card Zone in this order: "The Second Sarcophagus", "The Third Sarcophagus". If a Sarcophagus card is removed from the field, all Sarcophagus cards will be sent to the Graveyard. When Abidos has all three Sarcophagus cards on his field, he may send them all to the Graveyard to activate the last effect of "The First Sarcophagus".
- Summons "Elemental Hero Avian" (1000/1000) in Attack Position.
- Activates "H - Heated Heart", increasing the ATK of "Elemental Hero Avian" by 500 ("Avian": 1000 → 1500/1000) until the End Phase and granting it ability to inflict Piercing damage until the end of the turn.
- "Avian" attacks and destroys "Pharaonic Protector". "Avian" then inflicts piercing damage to Abidos (Abidos 4000 → 2500).
- During the End Phase, Abidos activates "The Second Sarcophagus" via the effect of "The First Sarcophagus".
- At the same time, the effect of "H - Heated Heart" expires ("Avian": 1500 → 1000/1000).
Turn 3: Abidos
- Abidos draws "Pot of Greed" and subsequently activates it, drawing 2 cards.
- Activates "Tribute to the Doomed", discarding "Pharaonic Protector" to destroy "Avian".
- Summons "Pharaoh's Servant" (900/0) in Attack Position.
- "Pharaoh's Servant" attacks Jaden directly (Jaden 4000 → 3100).
- Sets a card.
Turn 4: Jaden
- Jaden draws.
- Activates "E - Emergency Call", allowing him to add an "Elemental Hero" from his Deck to his hand. He chooses to add "Elemental Hero Sparkman" to his hand.
- Summons "Elemental Hero Sparkman" (1600/1400) in Attack Position.
- Activates "R - Righteous Justice", which lets him destroy a Spell/Trap Abidos controls for every "Elemental Hero" monster he controls. As Jaden controls one, he will destroy one Spell/Trap and he chooses to destroy "The First Sarcophagus", but Abidos activates his face-down "Magic Jammer", discarding one card[Notes 1] to negate the effect of "R - Righteous Justice" and destroy it.
- "Sparkman" attacks and destroys "Pharaoh's Servant" (Abidos 2500 → 1800).
- During the End Phase, Abidos activates "The Third Sarcophagus" via the effect of "The First Sarcophagus".
Turn 5: Abidos
- Abidos draws.
- Sends "The First Sarcophagus", "The Second Sarcophagus" and "The Third Sarcophagus" to the Graveyard to Special Summon "Spirit of the Pharaoh" (2500/2000) in Attack Position
- Jaden activates his face-down "Invincible Hero", giving "Sparkman" immunity to destruction by battle this turn.
- Activates "Thousand Energy", allowing Abidos to increase the ATK and DEF of all Level 2 or below Normal monsters on his side of the field by 1000 for this turn (both "Pharaoh's Servants": 900 → 1900/0 → 1000) (both "Pharaonic Protectors": 900 → 1900/0 → 1000). At the end of the turn, every monster affected by "Thousand Energy" will be destroyed.
- All 5 of Abidos' monsters attack "Sparkman". Due to the effect of "Invincible Hero", "Sparkman" is not destroyed, but Jaden still takes Battle Damage (Jaden 3100 → 2800 → 2500 → 2200 → 1900 → 1000).
- Activates "Soul Guide", Tributing 1 of his "Pharaonic Protectors" to gain Life Points equal to its ATK (Abidos 1800 → 3700), as well as add one more copy of "Pharaonic Protector" from his Deck to his hand.
- At the End Phase, the last effect of "Thousand Energy" activates, destroying every monster affected by "Thousand Energy" (in this case, the "Pharaonic Protector" and "Pharaoh's Servants" on the field are destroyed).
Turn 6: Jaden
- Jaden draws "Hero Flash!!".
- Summons "Elemental Hero Clayman" (800/2000) in Attack Position.
- Activates "O - Oversoul", Special Summoning "Elemental Hero Avian" (1000/1000) from the Graveyard in Attack Position.
- Activates "Hero Flash!!", allowing him to remove from play "H - Heated Heart", "E - Emergency Call", "R - Righteous Justice" and "O - Oversoul" from his Graveyard to Special Summon "Elemental Hero Burstinatrix" from his Deck (1200/800) in Attack Position. Due to the effect of "Hero Flash!!", all Elemental Hero Normal Monsters can attack Abidos directly this turn.
- "Avian", "Burstinatrix", "Clayman", and "Sparkman" all attack Abidos directly (Abidos 3700 → 2700 → 1500 → 700 → 0).
- Jaden wins.
The following cards appeared in this episode. Cards in italics debuted here.
- ↑ Although the card sent was not shown, it is confirmed to be "Pharaoh's Servant" due to what was shown next turn.