|Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's - Episode 122|
信じる力！ 最強の巨人ズシン ＶＳ シューティング・スター・ドラゴン
Shinjiru Chikara! Saikyō no Kyojin Zushin Bāsasu Shūtingu Sutā Doragon
The Power to Believe! The Strongest Giant Zushin VS Shooting Star Dragon
|Japanese air date||
August 11, 2010
|English air date||
The date "Skipped" was not understood.The date "Skipped" was not understood.
|Episode listing||Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's episode listing (season 2)|
|Previous||The Miraculous Trump Card, Sleeping Giant Zushin!|
|Next||Eyes on the Prize|
"The Power to Believe! The Strongest Giant Zushin VS Shooting Star Dragon" is the 122nd episode of Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's.
Yusei summons "Stardust Dragon", and even though he manages to oppose "Thud", his Life Points are quickly whittled away by a reversal and continued assault of Speed World 2, driving Yusei into a corner. At that time, when every spectator is convinced Team 5D's will certainly lose, a miracle occurs!
Yusei has answered the threat of "Zushin the Sleeping Giant" by summoning his "Stardust Dragon". Yoshizo and Jinbei are in awe of yet another rare card being used against them, but they relax a bit when they realize that it has been summoned in Defense Position. The crowd yells that Team 5D's doesn't stand a chance of beating "Thud", and some of them even hold up their own copies of "Thud" as they cheer for Team Taiyo. Hopes are running low in the 5D's pit. Bruno reflects that Spell and Trap cards can't beat "Thud", and it negates the effect of any monster it battles. Combined with the effect of unsurpassed ATK, "Thud" seems unbeatable, but Jack and Crow sense that Yusei has a trick up his sleeve.
Taro takes his next turn eagerly, and he maintain the Taiyo strategy by casting "Speed World 2's" burn effect. Then he sends "Thud" to attack "Stardust Dragon", which allows his monster to gain ATK until its power is 1000 points higher than its enemy's ATK. Yusei answers with a trap, which Taro brags won't be enough to beat "Thud". Yusei shoots back that he isn't using it on Taro's monster -- instead, it removes all of "Stardust Dragon's" ATK for the turn, which causes "Thud's" ATK to decrease so much that the DEF of Stardust Dragon wins the battle, and Taro takes damage. But any frustration fades quickly, because "Thud" still dominates the field.
Yusei takes his next turn, drawing "Graceful Revival" and getting an idea. However, the MC and the fans agree that Yusei is powerless in the face of this trump card. Yoshizo and Jinbei call out to Taro, who joins them in wondering that all these fans are cheering for them. Even more people have gathered around the track, holding banners for Team Taiyo. Although he and his friends came to the WRGP with only one patched-up Duel Runner and only commonplace cards, and even though nobody liked them or their tactics all this time, they're still the ones being cheered. Just by believing in themselves and dueling, they found their chance and changed the future. So Taro affirms to Yusei that he'll test this power as much as he can by winning!
Yusei takes this in stride, having already put together a plan from the cards he still has. He sets his trap and summons "Turbo Synchron" in defense before ending his turn. Taro prepares to defeat Yusei's ace monster, but when he declares the attack, Yusei activates both his traps -- "Graceful Revival", followed by "Urgent Tuning". The combo allows him to bring out his Tuner Synchro Monster, "Formula Synchron". This is the first time Yusei's friends have seen such a monster in person, and Bruno privately wonders at what he believes Yusei is about to do. Taro doesn't understand it, and Yusei says that Team Taiyo has awakened their trump card and shown and outstanding duel. Even so, if they want to beat him, they'll have to come at him full force. Because of the "Tuningware" he just used, he draws a card, but he's not really looking at it. Instead, he steadily accelerates his D-Wheel to pass Taro.
Then Taro looks more closely and notices that Yusei's eyes are closed, which only increases his wonder. Yusei thinks that the way for him to find the power to defeat "Zushin the Sleeping Giant" is to surpass his own limits. The scenery around him flies into a blur, but he doesn't open his eyes until his thoughts have become completely calmed and centered. In doing so, he achieves "Clear Mind", calling out that he is tuning both his monsters in an Accel Synchro Summon. With a flash, he and his monsters vanish into the distance, but the portal opens up again behind Taro, and Yusei rushes out, joined by the new form of his monster, "Shooting Star Dragon".
His teammates sit in utter awe, and Taro is amazed at such a summon, but he goes on the attack anyway. Yusei counters by removing his own monster from play for the turn by its own effect. The attack is foiled; there is no longer a target, and "Thud's" ATK drops to zero. Yet Taro is still smiling. He guessed that Yusei might try taking away "Thud's" power by removing the target, and he responds with the counter trap, "Fool's Dice", which deals damage based on the power level of the removed monster. Shooting Star Dragon was so strong that Yusei is taken down to 500 life points in one blast, and on Taro's next turn, he'll be able to use Speed World 2 to finish the job. He ends his turn, and Shooting Star Dragon comes back, but it is still no easier to attack "Thud".
But Taro's confidence is cut short when he sees that Yusei's eyes are still rock-steady. Yusei declares that, just like Team Taiyo, his belief in his friends and his strength will definitely give them their chance. This will be his final draw, and he draws "Earthquake Giant". He immediately sends his monster to attack "Thud", and Taro says his monster won't beat their "Thud". Yusei answers, "With my Shooting Star Dragon alone, that may be so. But with our Shooting Star Dragon, it's a different story!" He discards his Earthquake Giant, and even as Jack and Crow realize what's up, he activates the effect of Jack's "Monster Baton", which carries the effect of Crow's "Blackwing - Boreas the Sharp". This newest monster effect protects Yusei and his monster from damage, and it then destroys the attack target. Taro responds that "Thud" negates monster effects, but Yusei has realized that it only negates the effects of a monster it is currently battling shocking Taro. Carried by the combo, the effect goes through and destroys "Thud", leaving the crowd silent and shocked. One spectator then drops his "Zushin the Sleeping Giant" card. Even Taro's teammates are shocked Thud was destroyed, but Taro doesn't give up -- if he can survive this turn, his team wins, but Yusei has one trap left: "Explosive Breakout". Even after fulfilling its requirement, his monster gains one extra attack. It strikes home. and as it does, Taro sees visions of his friends and his father as his life points drop to zero.
Taro is defeated, and he sits at the side of the track, motionless and silent as he is stunned that he lost despite all that he did. Team 5D's cheer for Yusei winning while the crowd still remains silent. Taro's friends run to him, and Taro, working at his words, apologizes that he couldn't win. But Taro's friends say back to him that they summoned "Zushin the Sleeping Giant", and that's already the best duel ever. The crowd claps for them, much more calm but still congratulating Team Taiyo. Yusei and the rest of Team 5D's walk over, and he points out that Team Taiyo has awakened something in the audience's hearts. Crow says that even though 5D's wins in the standings, the ones who won the duel might be Taiyo, and even Jack compliments them on their duel.
Taro smiles and agrees. He and his teammates hug and celebrate as they decide they'll return home. They shake the hands of Team 5D's, and the MC comments that it was a truly great duel. Even though they lost, their hearts shine brightly, and they have brought light to the fans' hearts as well.
Elsewhere, the Yliaster trio smiles to see that another portion of the Circuit has been built. This put them that much closer to their goal, and they'll complete their plans by defeating Team 5D's in their role as Team New World. And above the city itself, a strange dark structure is seen ready to descend from the sky.
Featured Duel: Yusei Fudo vs. Taro Yamashita
Turn 23: Taro Yamashita
(Taro's SPC: 4; Yusei's SPC: 3)
- Taro draws.
- Activates "Speed World 2's" effect, removing 4 Speed Counters (Taro's SPC: 4 → 0) to inflict 800 damage to Yusei for each Speed Spell in his hand. Taro reveals "Speed Spell - Final Attack", so Yusei takes 800 damage (Yusei 4000 → 3200).
- "Zushin the Sleeping Giant" attacks "Stardust Dragon". Due to the effect of "Zushin", it gains ATK equal to the ATK of "Stardust Dragon" plus 1000 during the Damage Step ("Zushin": ? → 3500/0), but Yusei activates "Power Shift", reducing "Stardust Dragon's" ATK to 0 for this turn only ("Stardust Dragon": 2500 → 0/2000) ("Zushin the Sleeping Giant": 3500 → 1000/0). The attack fails (Taro 3500 → 2500) (Because "Stardust Dragon" was in Defense Position). After the Damage Step, the ATK of "Zushin" goes back to normal ("Zushin": 1000 → ?/0).
- Sets 1 card.
- At the End Phase, the effect of "Power Shift" expires ("Stardust Dragon": 0 → 2500/2000).
Turn 24: Yusei Fudo
(Taro's SPC: 1; Yusei's SPC: 4)
- Sets 2 cards.
Turn 25: Taro Yamashita
(Taro's SPC: 2; Yusei's SPC: 5)
- Taro draws.
- "Zushin the Sleeping Giant" attacks "Stardust Dragon". Due to the effect of "Zushin", it gains ATK equal to the ATK of "Stardust Dragon" plus 1000 during the Damage Step ("Zushin": ? → 3500/0)
- Yusei Activates "Urgent Tuning", allowing himself to Synchro Summon a Synchro Monster during the Battle Phase.
- Yusei tunes "Tuningware" with "Turbo Synchron" to Synchro Summon "Formula Synchron"(200/1500) in Defense Position.
- Yusei tunes "Stardust Dragon" with "Formula Synchron" to Accel Synchro Summon "Shooting Star Dragon"(3300/2500) in Attack Position.
- A replay occurs and Taro uses "Zushin the Sleeping Giant" to attack "Shooting Star Dragon". Due to the effect of "Zushin", its ATK is equal to the ATK of "Shooting Star Dragon" plus 1000 during the Damage Step ("Zushin": ? → 4300/0), but Yusei activates "Shooting Star Dragon's" effect, removing it from play until the End Phase[Notes 1] With no monster to battle, "Zushin the Sleeping Giant's" ATK goes back to 0 ("Zushin": 4300 → 0/0).
- Taro intends to win the Duel on his next turn by activating "Speed World 2's" effect to remove 4 Speed Counters and inflict 800 damage to Yusei.
- On the End Phase, "Shooting Star Dragon" is summoned back to the field (3300/2500) in Attack Position.
Turn 26: Yusei Fudo
(Taro's SPC: 3; Yusei's SPC: 6)
- Yusei's hand contains "Backup Warrior" and "Scrap-Iron Scarecrow".
- Yusei draws "Earthquake Giant".
- "Shooting Star Dragon" attacks "Zushin the Sleeping Giant". Due to the effect of "Zushin", its ATK becomes equal to the ATK of "Shooting Star Dragon" during the Damage Step ("Zushin the Sleeping Giant": 0 → 4300/0).
- Yusei activates the effect of "Monster Baton", sending "Earthquake Giant" from his hand to the Graveyard to activate the effect of "Blackwing - Boreas the Sharp" as the effect of "Monster Baton".
- Taro reminds Yusei that "Zushin the Sleeping Giant" negates monster effects, but Yusei states that "Zushin the Sleeping Giant" only negates the effects of the monster it battles with. Due to the effect of "Boreas the Sharp", "Shooting Star Dragon" is not destroyed and Yusei takes no Battle Damage. After damage calculation, "Zushin the Sleeping Giant" is destroyed.
- Yusei activates "Explosive Breakout", decreasing "Shooting Star Dragon's" ATK by 800 ("Shooting Star Dragon": 3300 → 2500/2500) to allow it to attack again.
- "Shooting Star Dragon" attacks Taro directly (Taro 2500 → 0).
If you look at Yusei's hand just before his final turn, you can see "Backup Warrior". Yusei said the result of the duel depended on what he draws in his final turn, which was a level 5 monster so that he could use Monster Baton's effect, but Backup Warrior is a level 5 monster, so he could already use Monster Baton regardless of what he draws.
The following cards appeared in this episode. Cards in italics debuted here.
- ↑ At this time Yusei shouldn't have been able to activate "Shooting Star Dragon's" effects, because "Zushin the Sleeping Giant" negates the effects of the monster it is attacking.