|This article may require cleanup to meet this wiki's standards.|
|Yu-Gi-Oh! - Episode 221|
Unmei no Rasuto Dyueru
The Fated Last Duel
The Final Duel - Part 1
|Japanese air date||
September 8, 2004
|English air date||
May 20, 2006
|Episode listing||Yu-Gi-Oh! episode listing (season 5)|
|Previous||The Final Journey|
|Next||The Final Duel - Part 2|
The Final Duel - Part 1 known as The Fated Last Duel in the Japanese version is Episode 221 of the Yu-Gi-Oh! second series anime.
This episode marks the beginning of the final Duel between Yugi Muto and Yami Yugi to determine the Pharaoh's fate. If Yugi wins, the Pharaoh will be able to return to the Spirit World; otherwise, Yami must remain in the "real" world for another 5,000 years.
Arrival at the Temple of the Realm of the Dead
- Ishizu Ishtar has taken Yugi & the Pharaoh (along with all their friends) to the shrine of the Millennium Stone, its final resting place.
- At the entrance, Téa asks why they have to rush into things: after all this might be the last time they get to see the Pharaoh. Ishizu replies "Yugi and the Pharaoh must carry out this battle ritual as quickly as possible; if too much time should pass, [their] window of opportunity will close".
- Inside the Temple and in front of the Tablet of the Realm of the Dead, Ishizu explains what will happen next by reading the text engraved on the Tablet.
- 'Ishizu Ishtar: "Before the ritual can begin, the Millennium Items must be returned to the Stone from whence they came. The Eye of Wdjat will then peer into your soul Yugi, thus unraveling the Pharaoh's spirit from your own".
- Yugi begins placing the items one by one: first the Millennium Eye, then the Millennium Key, the Millennium Scale, and finally the Millennium Rod, the Millennium Necklace, and the Millennium Ring (NOTE: for dramatic effect, before placing the Rod, Necklace, and Ring the scene briefly focus on their previous owners Marik, Ishizu, and Bakura).
- Before placing the final item, his Millennium Puzzle, Yugi thinks about the wish he was granted.
- Solomon Muto: (thinking) "All of this began the day Yugi solved that puzzle. And it will all end the moment he returns it."
- Yugi Muto: "All right, here it goes." (thinking) "(...) And my wish did come true the day I met my friends! And thanks to you Pharaoh, I'm ready to give it back."
- After placing the final item, the Eye of Widjat lights up and separates Pharaoh Atem and Yugi from one another (they both wear the same clothes as the original Yugi, and they both seem to be equal in height; later in Duel however it is obvious Yami is slightly taller than Yugi).
- Mokuba Kaiba: "Hey wait, so which one are we supposed to root for?"
- Téa Gardner: (thinking) "If the Pharaoh wins, he gets to stay, which means we won't have to say good-bye."
- Joey Wheeler: "We gotta root for Yugi guys, it's the only way to set the Pharaoh's spirit free."
- Téa Gardner: (thinking) "Joey's right. I should want what's best for the Pharaoh, and that's for his spirit to move on. I have to be strong."
- Yami Yugi: (thinking) "This is the first time in my life that I've hoped for my opponent's victory, but in order for this Duel to truly test our readiness to separate, I must fight with ALL my strength."
- Yugi Muto: (thinking) "Pharaoh, now that you've left the Millennium Puzzle I can't hear your thoughts any more, but somehow I still know what you're thinking. And I feel the same way. If you've taught me anything is to put your heart into your Deck and Duel with everything you've got. And that's exactly what I'm gonna do!"
- Seto Kaiba: "I guess we're about to find out who the true 'King of Games' is."
- THE FINAL DUEL BEGINS!!! (see Featured Duel section below)
Enter "Obelisk the Tormentor"
- During the Duel, after Yami Summons "Obelisk the Tormentor" and destroys Yugi's "Stronghold the Moving Fortress", there is a small pause. Their friends comment on what just happened.
- Joey Wheeler: "Yugi!"
- Tristan Taylor: "You've gotta hang in there dude!'""
- Joey Wheeler: "The Pharaoh means business!"
- Téa Gardner: "Yugi...!"
- Duke Devlin: "Poor guy. Not only did he get clobbered by Obelisk, but thanks to "Swords of Revealing Light" he can't strike back!"
- Yami Yugi: (to Yugi) "I told you I wouldn't go easy on you."
- Mokuba Kaiba: "Check it out guys! Yugi is back on his feet!"
- Seto Kaiba: "Big deal! There's still no way he can stand up to Obelisk"
- Duke Devlin: "Then why is he smiling?"
- Ryo Bakura: "Perhaps Yugi WANTS to lose so the Pharaoh doesn't have to go!"
- Joey Wheeler: "No way, Bakura! Yugi may not wanna say goodbye, but there's no way he'd be happy about losing."
- Téa Gardner: "So why the smile?"
- Joey Wheeler: "He's having the time of his life! Think about it, Téa: this is Yugi's shot to finally PROVE himself! Usually he takes a back seat during Duels, but this time he's in control of his own Deck! So this time instead of standing BEHIND the Pharaoh, the two of them are face to face for one last Duel."
- Téa Gardner: "Yeah, but can Yugi win?"
- Joey Wheeler: (thinking) "It's gonna be tough. But if anyone can do it, Yugi can!"
- The Duel resumes.
Featured Duel: Pharaoh Atem vs. Yugi Muto - Part 1
Turn 1: Pharaoh Atem
- Atem draws "The Tricky".
- Activates "The Tricky's" effect, discarding a card to Special Summon "The Tricky" (2000/1200) from his Hand in Attack Position.
- Sets a card ("Bounce").
Turn 2: Yugi Muto
- Yugi draws Spell Card "Swords of Revealing Light" and subsequently activates it. Now Atem's monsters cannot attack for the next three turns and all of his monsters must be face-up.
- Normal Summons "Green Gadget" (1400/600) in Attack Position.
- Sets a card.
Turn 3: Pharaoh Atem
- Due to Yugi's "Swords of Revealing Light", Atem cannot attack (3 more turns).
- Atem draws Spell Card "Rebellion" and subsequently activates it, forcing Yugi's "Green Gadget" to attack Yugi directly.
- Yugi activates Trap Card "Stronghold the Moving Fortress", which is immediately Special Summoned in Defense Position as a Machine-Type EARTH Level 4 Effect Monster with 0 ATK and 2000 DEF.
Turn 4: Yugi Muto
- Yugi draws Spell Card "Ties of the Brethren" and subsequently activates it, paying 1000 Life Points (Yugi 3400 → 2400) to Special Summon "Red Gadget" (1300/1500) from his Hand and "Yellow Gadget" (1200/1200) from his Deck in Defense Position.
- Switches "Stronghold the Moving Fortress" to Attack Position.
- "Stronghold the Moving Fortress" attacks Atem's "The Tricky", but Atem activates Spell Card "Bounce", transferring the effect of "Swords of Revealing Light" to Yugi's side of the field. This means Yugi's monsters cannot attack for the next three turns.
- Switches "Green Gadget" to Defense Position.
Turn 5: Pharaoh Atem
- Atem draws.
- Activates Quick-Play Spell Card "Tricky's Spell 4", Tributing "The Tricky" to Special Summon "Tricky Tokens" (2000/1200 for each) equal to the number of monsters Yugi controls. Since Yugi controls 4 monsters, Atem Special Summons 4 "Tricky Tokens" in Defense Position. These Tokens cannot attack.
- Tributes three of his "Tricky Tokens" to Summon "Obelisk the Tormentor" (4000/4000) in Attack Position.
- "Obelisk the Tormentor" attacks & destroys Yugi's "Stronghold the Moving Fortress" (Yugi 2400 → 1400).
(Insert dialogue from Enter "Obelisk the Tormentor" Summary section above)
- Sets a card ("Summoning Clock").
Turn 6: Yugi Muto
- Due to "Swords of Revealing Light", Yugi cannot attack (3 more turns).
- Yugi draws.
- Sets three cards.
- Normal Summons "Silent Swordsman LV0" (1000/1000) in Attack Position.
Turn 7: Pharaoh Atem
- Atem draws.
- Sets a card ("Mirror Force").
- Activates Spell Card "Card of Sanctity", forcing both Duelists to draw until they have 6 cards in their hand.
- "Obelisk the Tormentor" attacks Yugi's "Silent Swordsman LV0".
- Yugi activates Continuous Trap Card "Ground Erosion", selecting the Monster Card Zone occupied by "Obelisk the Tormentor".
- Yugi activates Quick-Play Spell Card "Turn Jump", but Atem activates Continuous Trap Card "Summoning Clock". Because of "Turn Jump", the Turn Count moves forward by 6 turns (3 turns for each Player), and all cards on the field are treated as having had their effect(s) active for three full turns.
- Since 3 turns have passed for Yugi, the effect of "Swords of Revealing Light" vanishes.
- Since 3 turns have passed for Yugi, his "Silent Swordsman LV0" increases by 1 LV three times and it also gains 500 ATK three times ("Silent Swordsman LV0" → "Silent Swordsman LV1" → "Silent "Swordsman LV2" → "Silent Swordsman LV3": 1000 → 1500 → 2000 → 2500/1000).
- Since 3 turns have passed for Atem, Yugi activates the effect of "Ground Erosion", sending it to the Graveyard in order to negate the effects of "Obelisk the Tormentor" and decrease its ATK by 500 for each Standby Phase that "Ground Erosion" has been face-up on the field. As it was face-up for three turns, "Obelisk" loses 1500 ATK ("Obelisk the Tormentor": 4000 → 2500/4000).
- "Turn Jump" also brings Atem back to the beginning of his Battle Phase, so he can choose whether to attack with Obelisk again or not. He chooses not to.
- Atem activates the effect of "Summoning Clock", sending it to the Graveyard and Tributing his "Tricky Token" in order to Special Summon a monster for every one of Atem's Standby Phases that have passed since the activation of "Summoning Clock". Since three Standby Phases have passed, Atem can Special Summon three monsters. He Special Summons "Queen's Knight" (1500/1600), "King's Knight" (1600/1400), and "Slifer the Sky Dragon" (X000/X000) all in Attack Position.
- "King's Knight's" effect activates upon being summoned, allowing Atem to Special Summon "Jack's Knight" (1900/1000) from his Deck in Attack Position.
- Since Atem holds 3 Cards in his Hand, Slifer's ATK/DEF is 3000 ("Slifer the Sky Dragon": X000 → 3000/X000 → 3000).
- Yugi activates Trap Card "Ambush Shield", Tributing "Red Gadget" to increase "Silent Swordsman LV3's" ATK by Red Gadget's" DEF until the End Phase ("Silent Swordsman LV3": 2500 → 4000/1000).
- "King's Knight" attacks & destroys Yugi's "Yellow Gadget".
- "Queen's Knight" attacks & destroys Yugi's "Green Gadget".
- Atem Tributes "Queen's Knight", "King's Knight", and "Jack's Knight" to Summon "The Winged Dragon of Ra" (?/?) in Attack Position (NOTE: in the anime, Atem also has to recite the Hieract chant to "unlock" Ra. It's chanted exactly as it's written on the Card itself, so no-one but Atem himself and the Grave Keepers can understand it. The Japanese version has him chant in this idiom, so a transcription of it isn't possible.).
- The order the God Cards are summoned is the same order they debuted in the series (though they were summoned by different people). Also, Slifer's ATK was 3000 when it's Summoned, which was the same amount of ATK that Slifer had when it was first Summoned by Strings.
- In the English version, when Pharaoh Atem Sets Mirror Force, the card appears to be Dark Mirror Force.
The following cards appeared in this episode. Cards in italics debuted here.