|Yu-Gi-Oh! - Episode 197|
Shutorōmuberuku no Kin no Shiro
Golden Castle of Stromberg
Sinister Secrets - Part 2
|Japanese air date||
March 24, 2004
|English air date||
October 8, 2005
|Episode listing||Yu-Gi-Oh! episode listing (season 5)|
|Previous||Sinister Secrets - Part 1|
|Next||Sinister Secrets - Part 3|
Leon's Tactics Edit
- Leon suddenly turns the tables using a unique combination. He also admits that he found consolation in fairy tales when no-one would mind him, and was fascinated by them. He wrote a letter to Pegasus and asked him to produce "Fairy-tale-themed" cards.
- Yami makes a comeback by using "Mirror Force"; here, it has the same effect as it does in the actual card game.
- Leon quickly Special Summons two of the destroyed monsters, and Rebecca admits that his balance is really good, unable to see any flaws on it. Yami uses a combo to quickly Summon "Dark Magician Girl", which is one of Leon's favorite monsters.
"Golden Castle of Stromberg" Edit
- Leon uses the Field Spell Card given to him by Ziegfried, which is revealed to be the "Golden Castle of Stromberg". Strangely enough, his Duel Disk frizzles and both Kaiba, Professor Hawkins and Solomon look surprised.
- Within the KC control center, one screen frizzles for a second and one operator wonders what was it about.
- Leon manages to quickly Special Summon both "Cinderella" and "Pumpkin Carriage". Rebecca warns Yami to be careful, as she had trouble with that combo.
- Kaiba lets out a string of curses towards Zigfried, seemingly knowing about the Golden Castle. Solomon and the Professor admit knowing about the card, and weren't expecting it to show up in such a place. Duke has a hunch, which is confirmed: "Golden Castle of Stromberg" was a single-print rare card made by Pegasus for test purposes and prestige only. It was the reward in a tournament (named "Fall Cup Duel Project" in the Japanese version) several years ago, and was never meant to be released or played in tournaments. It's one of those "illusion" cards of which collectors are always eager to get their hands into.
- Seto adds that, with the influences of the Schroeder family, getting it must've been a piece a of a cake. Mokuba adds that, since the card holds such an status, the "Solid Vision System" should have never accepted it. However, he realizes something, which Seto confirms: the Duel Computer's Limiter has been tampered with so that it's recognized as a legal card. Joey realizes this is plain cheating. Kaiba demands to know if that was Zigfried's true goal, which Zigfried responds to by shrugging and tries to tell it off. Kaiba curses Zigfried even more as Zigfried inwardly thinks that Kaiba can't run from his trap.
- After finding out his card is illegal, Leon looks unsure. Zigfried tries to assure him by claiming that, since the card is on the field, it's now legal and winning is what matters for their family. Yami accuses Zigfried of staining both the Duel and the "souls of us Duelists", saying he doesn't have the qualification to be a Duelist. Zigfried disregards the accusation, seeing Duel Monsters as being a mere game. Yami claims that he's stained the sanctity of the entire tournament: the Duelists who took part in this tournament and everyone who came to cheer, the fans of Duels scattered around the world and the heart of Leon, who was fighting for his sake. Zigfried sees it as "playing the hero" and tells Yami that he's "not mature enough".
- Leon tells Zigfried that it'd seem he doesn't believe in him after all, and that's why he's doing this. Leon refuses to play foul, so he activates "Mystical Space Typhoon" to destroy it. However, since "Golden Castle of Stromberg" cannot be destroyed by Spell and Trap Cards, it fails.
- Solomon and the Professor catch on: the card's text data has been rewritten! Suddenly, a nearby TV screen frizzles. Zigfried asks Kaiba to remove the limiter if he thinks it really bothers him so much, as the card itself is a switch. When it's summoned into the field, a virus program is engaged.
- Kaiba orders from the anti-virus program to be engaged, but Zigfried deems it to be too late: all programs will be erased at a great speed, and all of the Duel monsters data will be gone.
- Leon, taken aback, tries to surrender the Duel, but Zigfried claims that it won't halt the virus. There's only one way to stop it: destroy the Golden Castle! Yami encourages Leon to keep on, and he promises to find a way to destroy it. He rallies for him to show Zigfried "the glory of Duelists" and claims that they'll get rid of this infamous trap.
- The episode ends here.
Featured Duel: Yami Yugi vs. Leon von SchroederEdit
Turn 5: Leon von Schroeder
Leon activates "Iron Cage", choosing to destroy "Iron Hans". Since "Iron Hans" is no longer on the field, the ATK of "Iron Knight" returns to normal ("Iron Knight": 700 → 1700/700). "Iron Knight" attacks and destroys "Obnoxious Celtic Guardian" (Yami: 4000 → 3700). "Forest Hunter" attacks Yami directly (Yami 3700 → 2500).
Turn 6: Yami Yugi
Yami draws "Mirror Force" (Yugi's Deck: 33 → 32). He Normal Summons "Queen's Knight" (1500/1600) in Attack Position. It attacks and destroys "Forest Hunter" (Leon 3700 → 3400). During his Main Phase 2, Yami Sets 1 card.
Turn 7: Leon von Schroeder
Leon draws. During his Standby Phase, the effect of "Iron Cage" Special Summons the destroyed "Iron Hans" to Leon's side of field in Attack Position (1200/800), and destroys itself. The effect of "Iron Hans" activates when it is Summoned, Special Summoning 1 "Iron Knight" from Leon's Deck in Attack Position (1700/700). Since "Iron Hans" is on the field, both "Iron Knights" lose 1000 ATK (both "Iron Knight": 1700 → 700/700). Leon activates "Spinning Wheel Spindle", destroying Yami's "Queen's Knight", but it will return to the field in three turns. "Iron Hans" attacks Yami directly, but Yami activates "Mirror Force", destroying all of Leon's Attack Position monsters. (NOTE: for the first time during the course of the anime, "Mirror Force" does not deal any Battle Damage and its effect is treated exactly like the real-game card). During his Main Phase 2, Leon activates "Water of Life" to Special Summon "Iron Hans" from his Graveyard in Attack Position (1200/800). The effect of "Iron Hans" activates when it is Summoned, Special Summoning 1 "Iron Knight" from Leon's Deck in Attack Position (1700/700). Since "Iron Hans" is on the field, that "Iron Knight" loses 1000 ATK (3rd "Iron Knight": 1700 → 700/700).
Turn 8: Yami Yugi
Yami draws "Pot of Greed" (Yugi's Deck: 32 → 31), and subsequently activates it, drawing 2 cards (Yugi's Deck: 31 → 29). One of the cards he draws is "Watapon", and so Yami uses its effect to Special Summon it to the field (200/300) in Attack Position. Yami Tributes "Watapon" to Tribute Summon "Dark Magician Girl" (2000/1700) in Attack Position. It attacks and destroys "Iron Knight" (Leon 3400 → 2100).
Turn 9: Leon von Schroeder
Leon draws "Pot of Greed", and subsequently activates it, drawing 2 cards. He activates "Golden Castle of Stromberg". The first effect of "Golden Castle of Stromberg" activates, Special Summoning 1 random Level 4 or lower monster from Leon's Deck in Attack Position. "Cinderella" is Special Summoned (300/600) in Attack Position. The effect of "Cinderella" activates when it is Summoned, Special Summoning 1 "Pumpkin Carriage" (0/800) from Leon's Deck in Defense Position, and then activating 1 "Glass Slippers" from his Deck, equipping it to "Cinderella". "Cinderella" attacks Yami directly using the effect of "Pumpkin Carriage" (Yami 2500 → 2200). The effect of "Glass Slippers" activates, equipping itself to Yami's "Dark Magician Girl" and decreasing its ATK by 1000 ("Dark Magician Girl": 2000 → 1000/1700). Upon discovering that "Golden Castle of Stromberg" is an illegal card that his his brother made legal through hacking, Leon activates "Mystical Space Typhoon" to destroy it. However, the seventh effect of "Golden Castle of Stromberg" prevents its destruction by other card effects.
Differences in adaptationsEdit
- A shot of Forest Hunter's arrow flying past Yami is cut from the dub.
- The writing in Leon's fairytale books is obscured in the dub
- The spindle that hits Queen's Knight is obscured in the dub.
The following cards appeared in this episode. Cards in italics debuted here.