|Yu-Gi-Oh! - Episode 188|
Maboroshi no Enshento Doragon
The Illusive Ancient Dragon
Let the Games Begin! - Part 2
|Japanese air date||
January 21, 2004
|English air date||
September 3 2005
|Episode listing||Yu-Gi-Oh! episode listing (season 5)|
|Previous||Let the Games Begin! - Part 1|
The might of the "Ancient Dragon". Edit
- Apdnarg Otum soon reveals the target he was chasing with his combo of Cards: the powerful and mighty "Ancient Dragon", which proves to be a tough opponent, given the Effect of the Field Spell Card "Ancient City".
- Professor Hawkins explains that several Spell Cards and Monster Cards are needed to fulfill the Summoning Conditions of "Ancient Dragon": both he and Solomon searched for them and got stuck: they were missing the "Ancient Key" Spell Card. However, Solomon went and finally managed to acquire it, to the Professor's delight: he's finally able to see the combo finished.
- Eventually, Joey manages a combo to get rid of "Ancient City" and wins the Duel. Apdnarg Otum "unveils" himself, taking Joey aback while the others sigh: it was obvious from the very beginning!
- It also shown how Leon Wilson has won over Dr. Richard Goat. The medic collapses and both nurses have to evacuate him in a stretcher, to Leon's surprise.
- Besides, everyone's comic relief duo, Weevil Underwood and Rex Raptor make it to Kaiba Land USA, having heard of the KC Grand Prix. They're ready to have their rematches on both Yugi & Joey.
Featured Duel: Joey Wheeler vs. Apdnarg OtumEdit
Turn 7: Joey
- Draws "Goblin Attack Force" and subsequently Normal Summons it (2300 ATK / 0 DEF) in Attack Position.
- Uses "Goblin Attack Force" to attack Apdnarg Otum's "Ancient Giant".
- Apdnarg Otum Activates Continuous Trap Card "Ordeal of a Traveler": Now when Joey attacks, Apdnarg can select a random Card from his hand and make Joey guess whether the random card is a Spell, Trap, or Monster Card. If Joey guesses wrong, his Attacking Monster is returned back to his Hand, but if he is right, he may continue with his attack.
- Because Joey attacked, the effect of "Ordeal of a Traveler" activates, Apdnarg uses the only card in his hand as the card that Joey must guess on.
- Joey Sets a Card.
Turn 8: Apdnarg
- Draws "Ancient Tome".
- Uses "Ancient Giant" to Attack Joey directly.
- Apdnarg Otum activates Continuous Spell Card "Ancient Tome": Now once during Apdnarg's Main Phase, he can swap a Card in his Hand with the top Card from his Deck. He must also send one card from his hand to the Graveyard during his Standby Phase, or "Ancient Tome" will be destroyed.
- Uses the effect of "Ancient Tome" to swap the "Sinister Serpent" in his hand with the top card of his Deck.
- On Apdanarg's End Phase, the effect of "Stone Giant" makes Apdnarg Otum take 500 damage for each Stone Giant" that did not Attack (Apdanrg Otum 5000 → 4500 → 4000 Life Points) (NOTE: why he switched the Battle Position of his Monsters choosing to take the Damage will become obvious later in the Duel).
Turn 9: Joey
- Draws "Roll of Fate".
Turn 10: Apdnarg
- Draws "Sinister Serpent".
- Pays "Ancient Tome's upkeep Cost on the Standby Phase, sending "Sinister Serpent" from his Hand to the Graveyard.
- Activates "Sinister Serpent's" Special Ability: he returns it from his Graveyard to his Hand on the Standby Phase.
- Activates "Ancient Key's" Special Ability, sending it and the two "Stone Giants" to the Graveyard in order to add "Ancient Gate" from his Deck to his hand.
- Activates "Ancient City's" Special Effect: he sends "Ancient Gate", "Ancient Giant" and "Ancient Tome" to the Graveyard in order to Special Summon "Ancient Dragon" (2800 ATK / 2100 DEF) in Attack Position.
- Uses "Ancient Dragon" to Attack & Destroy Joey's "Goblin Attack Force" (Joey 2200 → 1700 Life Points).
Turn 11: Joey
- Draws "Gilford the Lightning".
- Activates the Spell Card "Roll of Fate": Joey rolls a die. Depending on the result, Joey must Draw the same number of Cards as the result of the roll from his Deck, then he must send that same number of Cards from the top of his Deck to his Graveyard.
- Because Joey activated a card that involves rolling a die, "Legendary Gambler's" effect activates, allowing Apdnarg to roll a die of his own. Joey's "Roll of Fate" roll is a 4, Apdnarg Otum's "Legendary Gambler" roll is a 3: Joey's "Roll of Fate" succeeds. He draws Four Cards from his Deck and sends the top 4 Cards from his Deck to the Graveyard.
- Activates Spell Card "Landstar Forces", allowing Joey to Special Summon all the "Landstar" Monsters he holds in his Hand: He Special Summons "Brigadier of Landstar" (900 ATK / 1200 DEF), "Knight of Landstar" (1000 ATK / 900 DEF) and "Grappler of Landstar" (1000 ATK / 500 DEF) all in Attack Position.
- Tributes "Brigadier of Landstar", "Knight of Landstar" and "Grappler of Landstar" to Summon "Gilford the Lightning" (2800 ATK / 1400 DEF) in Attack Position: thanks to its Special Effect, it Destroys all Monsters on Apdanarg Otum's Side of the Field(in this case, "Ancient Dragon").
- Uses "Gilford the Lightning" to Attack Apdanarg Otum directly.
- Apdanarg Otum Activates "Ancient City's" second Special Ability on the End Phase, Special Summoning "Ancient Dragon" (2800 ATK / 2100 DEF) from his Graveyard back to the Field in Attack Position.
Turn 12: Apdnarg
- Apdnarg draws.
- Uses "Ancient Dragon" to attack Joey's "Gilford the Lightning": both Monsters are Destroyed.
- Activates "Ancient City's" second Special Ability in Attack Position, Special Summoning "Ancient Dragon" (2800 ATK / 2100 DEF) from his Graveyard back to the Field in Attack Position.
Turn 13: Joey
- Draws Spell Card "Pot of Greed" and subsequently activates it to Draw 2 cards. The two cards Joey drew were "Giant Trunade" and "Premature Burial".
- Aside from the two above-mentioned cards that Joey just drew, Joey's hand is shown to contain "Jinzo", "Polymerization", and "Alligator's Sword".
- Activates Equip Spell Card "Premature Burial": Joey pays 800 LP (Joey: 1700 → 900 Life Points) to Special Summon "Goblin Attack Force" (2300 ATK / 0 DEF) in Attack Position and equip it with "Premature Burial".
- Activates Spell Card "Giant Trunade", returning all Spell and Trap Cards to their owner's Hands.
- Activates Equip Spell Card "Premature Burial" again: Joey pays 800 LP (Joey: 900 → 100 Life Points) to Special Summon "Gilford the Lightning" (2800 ATK / 1400 DEF) in Attack Position and equip it with "Premature Burial".
- Uses "Gilford the Lightning" to attack Apdnarg Otum's "Ancient Dragon": both Monsters are Destroyed.
Differences in adaptationsEdit
- In the previous episode, "Swordsman of Landstar" was seen in Joey's hand. However, this card was not seen nor does it appear in his hand instead "Alligator's Sword" a card that he didn't used was seen. This mean "Swordsman of Landstar" was suppose to be "Alligator's Sword".
- "Brigadier of Landstar's" gun is edited, to look less realistic. Also, "Landstar Forces" have Brigadier's gun edited as well.
- In "Premature Burial", the cross is blurred and made less visible, to avoid any religious connotation.
- "Ancient Tome" was given a different artwork.
- When Apnarg redraws Sinister Serpent, after having switched it with the top card of his deck with Ancient Tome the previous turn, he is shown putting the drawn card into his hand and discarding the Sinister Serpent already in his hand for Ancient Tome's cost.
The following cards appeared in this episode. Cards in italics debuted here.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 This card was seen in Joey's hand.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 This card was given a Effect Monster card layout since Token Monster card layout didn't exist yet.