|Yu-Gi-Oh! - Episode 188|
Maboroshi no Enshento Doragon
The Illusive Ancient Dragon
Let the Games Begin! - Part 2
|Japanese air date||
January 21, 2004
|English air date||
September 3 2005
|Episode listing||Yu-Gi-Oh! episode listing (season 5)|
|Previous||Let the Games Begin! - Part 1|
The might of the "Ancient Dragon".
- Apdnarg Otum soon reveals the target he was chasing with his combo of Cards: the powerful and mighty "Ancient Dragon", which proves to be a tough opponent, given the Effect of the Field Spell Card "Ancient City".
- Professor Hawkins explains that several Spell Cards and Monster Cards are needed to fulfill the Summoning Conditions of "Ancient Dragon": both he and Solomon searched for them and got stuck: they were missing the "Ancient Key" Spell Card. However, Solomon went and finally managed to acquire it, to the Professor's delight: he's finally able to see the combo finished.
- Eventually, Joey manages a combo to get rid of "Ancient City" and wins the Duel. Apdnarg Otum "unveils" himself, taking Joey aback while the others sigh: it was obvious from the very beginning!
- It also shown how Leon Wilson has won over Richard Goat. The medic collapses and both nurses have to evacuate him in a stretcher, to Leon's surprise.
- Besides, everyone's comic relief duo, Weevil Underwood and Rex Raptor make it to Kaiba Land USA, having heard of the KC Grand Prix. They're ready to have their rematches on both Yugi & Joey.
Featured Duel: Joey Wheeler vs. Apdnarg Otum
Turn 7: Joey
- Joey draws "Goblin Attack Force" and subsequently Normal Summons it (2300/0) in Attack Position.
- "Goblin Attack Force" attacks Apdnarg Otum's "Ancient Giant", but Apdnarg Otum Activates Continuous Trap Card "Ordeal of a Traveler". Now when Joey attacks, Apdnarg can select a random Card from his hand and make Joey guess whether the random card is a Spell, Trap, or Monster Card. If Joey guesses wrong, his Attacking Monster is returned back to his Hand, but if he is right, he may continue with his attack. Because Joey attacked, the effect of "Ordeal of a Traveler" activates. Apdnarg uses the only card in his hand as the card that Joey must guess on. Joey guesses Magic Card(Trap Card in the dub), but the chosen card is revealed to be a Monster ("Sinister Serpent"). Since Joey guessed wrong, "Goblin Attack Force" is returned to his Hand.
- Joey Sets a Card.
Turn 8: Apdnarg
- Apdnarg draws "Ancient Tome".
- "Ancient Giant" attacks Joey directly, but Joey activates Quick-Play Spell Card "Scapegoat", Special Summoning 4 "Sheep Tokens" (0/0 for all) in Defense Position.
- Apdnarg Otum activates Continuous Spell Card "Ancient Tome". Now once during Apdnarg's Main Phase, he can swap a Card in his Hand with the top Card of his Deck. He must also send one card from his hand to the Graveyard during his Standby Phase, or "Ancient Tome" will be destroyed.
- Activates the effect of "Ancient Tome" to swap the "Sinister Serpent" in his hand with the top card of his Deck.
- On Apdanarg's End Phase, the effects of both "Stone Giants" make Apdnarg take 500 damage for each Stone Giant" that did not Attack (Apdanrg Otum 5000 → 4500 → 4000) (NOTE: why he switched the Battle Position of his Monsters choosing to take the Damage will become obvious later in the Duel).
Turn 9: Joey
- Joey draws "Roll of Fate".
Turn 10: Apdnarg
- Apdnarg draws "Sinister Serpent".
- On Apdanrg's Standby Phase, he sends "Sinister Serpent" from his Hand to the Graveyard to keep "Ancient Tome" on the field.
- Activates "Ancient Key's" effecet, sending it and the two "Stone Giants" to the Graveyard in order to add "Ancient Gate" from his Deck to his hand.
- Activates "Ancient City's" effect, sending "Ancient Gate", "Ancient Giant" and "Ancient Tome" to the Graveyard in order to Special Summon "Ancient Dragon" (2800/2100) in Attack Position.
- "Ancient Dragon" Attacks & Destroys Joey's "Goblin Attack Force" (Joey 2200 → 1700).
Turn 11: Joey
- Joey draws "Gilford the Lightning".
- Activates Spell Card "Roll of Fate", rolling a die. Depending on the result, Joey must Draw the same number of Cards as the result of the roll from his Deck, then he must send that same number of Cards from the top of his Deck to his Graveyard.
- Because Joey activated a card that involves rolling a die, "Legendary Gambler's" effect activates, allowing Apdnarg to roll a die of his own. Joey's "Roll of Fate" roll is a 4, Apdnarg Otum's "Legendary Gambler" roll is a 3. The effect of "Roll of Fate" continues. Joey draws Four Cards from his Deck and sends the top 4 Cards of his Deck to the Graveyard.
- Activates Spell Card "Landstar Forces", allowing Joey to Special Summon all the "Landstar" Monsters he holds in his Hand. He Special Summons "Brigadier of Landstar" (900/1200), "Knight of Landstar" (1000/900) and "Grappler of Landstar" (1000/500) all in Attack Position.
- Tributes "Brigadier of Landstar", "Knight of Landstar" and "Grappler of Landstar" to Summon "Gilford the Lightning" (2800/1400) in Attack Position.
- Since "Gilford the Lightning" was Tribute Summoned by Tributing three monsters, its effect activates, destroying all of Apdanarg monsters (in this case, "Ancient Dragon").
- "Gilford the Lightning" Attacks Apdanarg Otum directly.
- Apdanarg Otum Activates "Ancient City's" second effect on the End Phase, Special Summoning "Ancient Dragon" (2800/2100) from his Graveyard back to the Field in Attack Position.
Turn 12: Apdnarg
- Apdnarg draws.
- "Ancient Dragon" attacks Joey's "Gilford the Lightning". Both Monsters are Destroyed in a Double KO.
- Activates "Ancient City's" second Special Ability on the End Phase, Special Summoning "Ancient Dragon" (2800/2100) from his Graveyard back to the Field in Attack Position.
Turn 13: Joey
- Joey draws Spell Card "Pot of Greed" and subsequently activates it to Draw 2 cards ("Giant Trunade" and "Premature Burial").
- Aside from the two above-mentioned cards that Joey just drew, Joey's hand is shown to contain "Jinzo", "Polymerization", and "Alligator's Sword".
- Activates Equip Spell Card "Premature Burial", paying 800 Life Points (Joey 1700 → 900) to Special Summon "Goblin Attack Force" (2300/0) in Attack Position and equip it with "Premature Burial".
- Activates Spell Card "Giant Trunade", returning all Spell and Trap Cards to their owner's Hands.
- Activates Equip Spell Card "Premature Burial" again, paying 800 Life Points (Joey 900 → 100) to Special Summon "Gilford the Lightning" (2800/1400) in Attack Position and equip it with "Premature Burial".
- "Gilford the Lightning" attacks Apdnarg Otum's "Ancient Dragon". Both Monsters are destroyed in a Double KO.
Differences in adaptations
- In the previous episode, "Swordsman of Landstar" was seen in Joey's hand. However, this card was not seen nor does it appear in his hand instead "Alligator's Sword" a card that he didn't used was seen. This mean "Swordsman of Landstar" was suppose to be "Alligator's Sword".
- "Brigadier of Landstar's" gun is edited, to look less realistic. Also, "Landstar Forces" have Brigadier's gun edited as well.
- In "Premature Burial", the cross is blurred and made less visible, to avoid any religious connotation.
- "Ancient Tome" was given a different artwork.
- When Apnarg redraws Sinister Serpent, after having switched it with the top card of his deck with Ancient Tome the previous turn, he is shown putting the drawn card into his hand and discarding the Sinister Serpent already in his hand for Ancient Tome's cost.
The following cards appeared in this episode. Cards in italics debuted here.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 This card was seen in Joey's hand.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 This card was given a Effect Monster card layout since Token Monster card layout didn't exist yet.