|Yu-Gi-Oh! - Episode 177|
Kessen no Chi e! Dātsu Vāsasu Yūgi to Kaiba
To the Site of the Decisive Battle! Dartz vs. Yugi & Kaiba
A Duel with Dartz - Part 1
|Japanese air date||
October 29, 2003
|English air date||
May 7, 2005
|Episode listing||Yu-Gi-Oh! episode listing (season 4)|
|Previous||Grappling with a Guardian - Part 3|
|Next||A Duel with Dartz - Part 2|
"A Duel with Dartz - Part 1", known as "To the Site of the Decisive Battle! Dartz vs. Yugi & Kaiba" in the Japanese version, is the one-hundred and seventy-seventh episode of the Yu-Gi-Oh! second series anime. It first aired in Japan on October 29, 2003 and in the United States on May 7, 2005.
Yami Yugi and Seto Kaiba are transported via helecopter to Dartz's castle. Dartz recalls his Orichalcos Soldiers from all over the world, as he intends to begin the final stages of his ritual to revive The Great Leviathan. Yami and Kaiba challenge him to a two-on-one Duel.
After the Duel between Yami and Rafael is over the building they are on begins to shake and crumble. A KC Chopper arrives to rescue them, but Yami is unable to carry Rafael (who is still weakened from their previous Duel). Rafael falls into a chasm, but not before handing Yami an SD memory card. The whole building gives way to an ancient structure; the modern building was just an outer shell built around it. Yami hands Kaiba Rafael's SD memory card, and Kaiba uses a PDA to check it: it's a map, signalling the location of Dartz's temple. While flying away and after seeing a swarm of locusts fly across the skies, four military choppers intercept the KC Chopper and redirect it.
Duke Devlin and Rebecca Hawkins, driving across the city, stumble upon some Orichalcos Soldiers. Rebecca jumps out and tries to challenge them, but they ignore her and look towards the sky. Dartz chants a spell and they disappear into the air, being recalled from all over the world.
In the meanwhile, Rafael can be seen emerging from the smoke at the base of the building, holding Mai's soulless body.
The choppers land in an aircraft carrier. The commander in charge explains that their country's politics are under the control of Doma and that they don't have the authorization to strike. Nevertheless, they offer to refuel the chopper and take them as close as possible to Dartz's island.
The KC Chopper has trouble making it through the typhoons and the storm that surrounds the island, but Dartz chants a spell to make a twister pull them closer. They land in front of the temple and disembark. They stumble upon the main chamber and feel like something lingers on the air, a kind of collective sadness. Discovering a passage, they find another room containing tablets depicting the imprisoned souls. Yami recognizes Yugi, so he rushes forward when Dartz's voice booms out.
Two torches form an arch of fire and from it Dartz emerges, claiming that he's waited for them and welcoming them to his temple. He claims, as always, that he will get his souls and the blessing of his God. He erases two tablets to set apart "special seats" for both Kaiba and Yami. Kaiba and Yami tell him that the Three Swordsmen have been defeated, so he's the only one left. Dartz looks unfazed. He had always planned to have them be sacrificed as well. Yami demands the release of the souls, and Dartz challenges them to try to defeat him. He makes the whole set of torches light, thus revealing the whole room. Yugi and company gasp; the floor, walls and dome-shaped ceiling are filled with tablets of sealed souls. Mokuba recognizes that some of them are from other eras, even. Dartz explains that he's existed for over 10,000 years. He then forms a Chaos Duel Disk and steps forward. Kaiba announces that he shall be his opponent, but Yami refuses to let him go solo. They decide to do a Tag-Team Duel, and Dartz agrees.
In the meanwhile, Rafael picks up Valon's body and loads into a jeep along with Mai's. He mutters that there's something he still needs to do.
Both Yugi and Kaiba begin their turns by Summoning high-Level monsters: "Blue-Eyes White Dragon" and "Black Luster Soldier". Dartz begins with the "Seal of Orichalcos" and Summons an "Orichalcos Gigas" and one back-row Monster: "Orichalcos Kyutora". In the next turn, both Yami and Kaiba work in unison to bring out "Dragon Master Knight" and Yami uses a Trap Card to inflict "piercing" damage to Dartz. However, their attack is somehow blocked by "Kyutora", and Dartz claims that it is not possible for them to defeat him. The energy of the attack provokes for the "Seal" to warp them into the World of Memories of the Orichalcos. Dartz then makes a speech about how everything is born from the Dark. They float over the Earth as they speak. They then descend below the clouds until they float atop a city: Atlantis. Dartz announces that the was the ruler of that city and the destroyer of it: it was a beautiful city, but, alas, it was walking upon the road of destruction.
Featured Duel: Seto Kaiba & Yami Yugi vs. DartzEdit
Turn 1: Kaiba
- Kaiba draws.
- Activates Ritual Spell Card "White Dragon Ritual", Tributing "Vorse Raider" from his Hand to Ritual Summon "Paladin of White Dragon" (1900 ATK / 1200 DEF) in Attack Position.
- Activates "Paladin of White Dragon's" Effect, Tributing it to Special Summon "Blue-Eyes White Dragon" (3000 ATK / 2500 DEF) from his Deck in Attack Position.
Turn 2: Yami
- Yami Yugi draws.
- Activates Ritual Spell Card "Black Luster Ritual", Tributing "Valkyrion the Magna Warrior" from his Hand to Ritual Summon "Black Luster Soldier" (3000 ATK / 2500 DEF) in Attack Position.
- Sets a Card.
Turn 3: Dartz
- Dartz draws.
- Activates Field Spell Card "The Seal of Orichalcos". From now on, all of Dartz's Monsters will receive a +500 ATK boost and the loser(s) of this Duel will lose their soul(s).
- Normal Summons "Orichalcos Gigas" (400 → 900 ATK / 1500 DEF) in Defense Position.
- Activates "Orichalcos Kyutora's" Effect, Paying 500 Life Points (Dartz: 4000 → 3500 Life Points) to Special Summon it (500 → 1000 ATK / 500 DEF) from his Hand in Defense Position. Dartz places it in the Spell & Trap Card Zone, meaning it can't be Attacked until Dartz's first-row Monsters are Destroyed first.
Turn 4: Kaiba
- Draws Spell Card "Polymerization" and subsequently activates it, Fusing his "Blue-Eyes White Dragon" on the Field with the 2 "Blue-Eyes White Dragons" in his Hand to form "Blue-Eyes Ultimate Dragon" (4500 ATK / 3800 DEF) in Attack Position.(Kaiba's hand is shown to contain two "Blue-Eyes White Dragons" and "Reflect Energy" right after "Polymerization" is activated, but before "Blue-Eyes Ultimate Dragon" was summoned)
Turn 5: Yami
- Draws Spell Card "Polymerization" and subsequently activates it, Fusing his "Black Luster Soldier" with Seto's "Blue-Eyes Ultimate Dragon" to form "Master of Dragon Soldier" (5000 ATK / 5000 DEF) on Yami's side of the Field in Attack Position (NOTE: in the real game, "Master of Dragon Soldier" is called "Dragon Master Knight").
- Activates Trap Card "Meteorain": all of Yami's Monsters obtain the Piercing effect (when Monsters attack with an ATK that is higher than the DEF of the opponent's Defense Position monster, the difference is inflicted as Battle Damage to the opponent's Life Points) for this turn only.
- Uses "Master of Dragon Soldier" to Attack & Destroy Dartz's "Orichalcos Gigas" but thanks to "Orichalcos Kyutora's" effect, Dartz receives no Battle Damage.
Differences in adaptationsEdit
- Cut from the English version is a sequence in which the helicopter flies on, while the gang watch out the rear, wondering where the helicopters are leading them, then seeing a dark cloud approaching them, but then realize it is a swarm of locusts, and then the locusts surrounding the city.
- Shots of the gang walking towards the temple was removed from the dub.
- A shot of Kaiba announcing that if Yami is a really a True Duelist, he should have the Card to "Summon a new servant" and finish Dartz.
The following cards appeared in this episode. Cards in italics debuted here.