|Yu-Gi-Oh! - Episode 174|
Unmei no Dyueru! Yūgi Vāsasu Rafēru
The Fated Duel! Yugi vs. Rafael
Grappling with a Guardian - Part 1
|Japanese air date||
October 8, 2003
|English air date||
April 23, 2005
|Episode listing||Yu-Gi-Oh! episode listing (season 4)|
|Previous||Fighting for a Friend - Part 5|
|Next||Grappling with a Guardian - Part 2|
"Grappling with a Guardian - Part 1", known as "The Fated Duel! Yugi vs. Rafael" in the Japanese version, is the one hundred and seventy-fourth episode of the Yu-Gi-Oh! second series anime. It first aired in Japan on October 8, 2003 and in the US on April 23, 2005.
Yami, determined to bring down Doma and rescue Joey's soul, runs off and soon reaches their home office. Having a hunch of what's awaiting him, Yami quickly organizes his Deck while climbing to the roof. Once outside, like he was expecting to, finds Rafael, who was waiting for him.
Yami enters the Doma building. The lobby is empty and one elevator is descending there: when it opens, Mai's soulless body collapses on him. He notices a ghostly feather and a fog. He wonders if it's a Harpie Lady's feather but he seems to realize it isn't the case. He then enters the elevator and ascends to the roof to meet his opponent.
As Yami suspected, the feather belonged to Eatos. Yami accuses Rafael of having defeated both Mai and Joey, given how he hands Yami "The Claw of Hermos". Rafael corrects him: Joey lost to Mai. Mai then came here and confronted him demanding to know Dartz's whereabouts. Rafael challenged her and used "The Seal of Orichalcos" against her. Even though she'd been wielding "Hermos", she apparently wasn't able to use it. Rafael is not moved by the losses of his two companions and he doesn't seem to be moved by anything as well as affirming that everything is a part of Fate. As they talk, a strange ghostly serpent-like shape flies across the world's skies, obscuring the stars: it is being noticed by people around the world.
Kaiba and Mokuba meet up with Tristan and Téa, who are carrying Joey's shell. They suddenly are forced to climb up some emergency stairs to escape a swarm of rats rushing across the streets. Everyone wonders if it's a sign of something.
Within the depths of the ocean, the Orichalcos god is growing in strength and opens an eye: it seems to be gazing at something.
Rafael tells Yami that he will fight him for the sake of the "new age" and it being a part of Fate. Yami shots back that he also wants to Duel Rafael but that's not "Fate", it's because Rafael is a true Duelist. Rafael keeps on insisting everything was arranged by Fate: this time, Yami's soul shall be seized to revive the Orichalcos god. As if to prove his point, he brings out a "The Seal of Orichalcos" card and shows it to Yami. Rafael then puts it on his own Deck and makes him and Yami shuffle it. Yami claims that he won't fall for the same trick twice.
Rafael employs the same strategies in the Duel as he did in his previous Duel with Yami.
Yami tells Raphael that he's sure that he won't use "The Seal" because he wants to protect his monsters. Rafael admits that though Yami is right about him wanting to protect his monster, when you accept the "Dark" of your heart, then "Light" shines in the "Dark" and the answer (to Fate) comes out. Since Yami can't use it properly, Rafael will show him the true power of the "Seal". He plays the "Seal" just as Kaiba and company reach the scene.
Featured Duel: Rafael VS. Yami Yugi - Part 1
Turn 1: Rafael
- Rafael draws.
- Activates "Guardian Treasure", discarding his entire Hand and Drawing 2 Cards. While "Guardian Treasure" is face-up, Rafael may Draw 1 extra Card from his Deck during each of his Draw Phases.
- Normal Summons "Backup Gardna" (500/2200) in Defense Position.
- Sets a Card.
Turn 2: Yami
- Yami Yugi draws "Big Shield Gardna" ("King's Knight" in the dub, see Notes below for more info).
- Normal Summons "Queen's Knight" (1500/1600) in Defense Position.
Turn 3: Rafael
- Rafael draws.
- Activates "Gravity Axe - Grarl", equipping it to "Backup Gardna" and increasing the ATK of "Backup Gardna" by 500 ("Backup Gardna": 500 → 1000/2200).
- (NOTE: In the anime, Rafael simply Declares he is "Activating" "Gravity Axe - Grarl" without Equipping it to "Backup Gardna").
- Since "Gravity Axe - Grarl" is on the Field and "Guardian Grarl" is the only Card in Rafael's Hand, Rafael Special Summons "Guardian Grarl" via its own effect (2500/1000) in Attack Position.
- Activates "Backup Gardna's" Effect, unequipping "Gravity Axe - Grarl" from "Backup Gardna" and equipping it to "Guardian Grarl" instead ("Backup Gardna": 1000 → 500/2200) ("Guardian Grarl": 2500 → 3000/1000).
- "Guardian Grarl" Attacks and Destroys "Queen's Knight".
Turn 4: Yami
- Yami Yugi draws "Monster Reborn" and subsequently activates it to Special Summon "Queen's Knight" (1500/1600) back from his Graveyard in Attack Position.
- Normal Summons "King's Knight" (1600/1400) in Attack Position.
- Activates "Brave Attack" to add together the ATK of his three "Knights" during one battle this turn (1500 + 1600 + 1900 = 5000 ATK), intending to attack and destroy "Guardian Grarl" at the cost of his three "Knights" being destroyed at the end of the Battle Phase. However, Rafael activates "Guardian Force", negating the effect of "Brave Attack" and destroying it.
Turn 5: Rafael
- Rafael draws.
- Activates "Butterfly Dagger - Elma", equipping it to "Backup Gardna" and increasing "Backup Gardna's" ATK by 300 (500 → 800/2200).
- Since "Butterfly Dagger - Elma" is on the Field, Rafael is allowed to Summon "Guardian Elma" (1300/1200) in Attack Position.
- Activates "Guardian Elma's" Effect, targeting "Guardian Shield" from his Graveyard and equipping it to "Guardian Elma", increasing its DEF by 300 ("Guardian Elma": 1300/1200 → 1500).
- Activates "Backup Gardna's" Effect, unequipping "Butterfly Dagger - Elma" from "Backup Gardna" and equipping it to "Guardian Elma" instead ("Backup Gardna": 800 → 500/2200) ("Guardian Elma": 1300 → 1600/1500).
- "Guardian Elma" Attacks and Destroys "Queen's Knight" (Yami 4000 → 3900).
- "Guardian Grarl" Attacks & Destroys "King's Knight" (Yami 3900 → 2500).
Turn 6: Yami
- Yami Yugi draws.
- Activates "Five Star Twilight", Tributing "Jack's Knight" to Special Summon the 5 Kuriboh Brothers from his Deck. He Special Summons "Kuriboh", "Kuriba", "Kuribi", "Kuribe" and "Kuribu" (300/200 each) from his Deck in Attack Position.
- Activates "Kuribu's" Effect, discarding "Chain Destruction" from his Hand to reduce the ATK of "Guardian Grarl" by 1500 for 1 Turn ("Guardian Grarl": 3000 → 1500/1000).
- Activates "Kuriba's" effect, removing "Kuriboh", "Kuriba", "Kuribi", "Kuribe" and "Kuribu" from play to Special Summon "Kuribabylon" (?/200) in Attack Position. Due to the effect of "Kuribabylon", its ATK is equal to the combined ATK of the "Kuriboh" brothers when they were removed from play ("Kuribabylon": ? → 1500/200).
- Activates "Mystical Space Typhoon" to Destroy "Gravity Axe - Grarl" ("Guardian Grarl": 1500 → 1000/1000).
- "Kuribabylon" Attacks "Guardian Grarl", but Rafael Activates "Guardian Shield's" Effect, destroying "Guardian Shield" ("Guardian Elma": 1600/1500 → 1200) to prevent "Guardian Grarl" from being destroyed by the attack, but Rafael still takes Battle Damage (Rafael 4000 → 3500).
- Sets a Card.
- At the End Phase, the effect of "Kuribu" expires ("Guardian Grarl": 1000 → 2500/1000).
Turn 7: Rafael
- Rafael draws.
- Despite Yami's objections, Rafael activates "The Seal of Orichalcos".
The following cards appeared in this episode. Cards in italics debuted here.
- ↑ Yugi draws this card in his first turn during his Duel against Rafael, however this is impossible as Yugi had no cards in his hand after he Sets his last card. This card was replaced by "King's Knight" in the Dub.
- ↑ This card was given to Yugi by Rafael after Mai took this card from Joey in the previous episode.
- ↑ Yugi discards this card for "Kuribu's" effect