|Yu-Gi-Oh! - Episode 172|
Gekitō no Hate ni
At the End of the Fierce Fight
Fighting for a Friend - Part 4
|Japanese air date||
September 23, 2003
|English air date||
February 26, 2005
|Episode listing||Yu-Gi-Oh! episode listing (season 4)|
|Previous||Fighting for a Friend - Part 3|
|Next||Fighting for a Friend - Part 5|
Keeping the search up.Edit
Yami, Téa and Tristan are still trying to navigate the city, and the map says Joey should be nearby. Yami is lost in thought, remembering that his Timaeus card had glowed when Joey used Hermos, but it stopped reacting some time ago. They consider what that might mean about his condition, and he insists that they must find him soon.
Towards an End.Edit
At that moment, Joey and Valon are both bruised and gasping for breath, down to only a handful of Life Points each. Joey remarks that he thought he'd had Valon beat with his most recent attack. Valon replies by complimenting Joey as the most tenacious opponent he's ever faced. Mai listens to this, wondering how such a fierce duel could still have both of them insistent to keep going. Her desire to fight returns, and the Seal appears on her forehead before she winces, suppressing it.
Joey pays half his Life Points to maintain the Armor, and he places Two Face-Down Cards to Finish his Turn. With Valon's turn, he Draws a new Spell which lets him Summon a new suit of Armor monsters from his Graveyard. All at once, he is armed with his strongest weapons.
He compliments Joey on getting so far, but it's because of this strength that he must fight back with all his power. Joey agrees, but clarifies that Valon will be the one defeated. He uses both his Face-Downs to put into play a chosen Card from Valon's Graveyard and a random one from his own. The one he chooses from Valon is Big Bang Blow, and for his own, he closes his eyes in preparation to Draw. Both Duelists have one Card in mind, and after a silent wish, Joey picks and holds the Card high.
It is Hermos, to Joey's elation and Valon's amazement. Joey immediately fuses his two new Cards to create Big Bang Dragon Blow, commenting that this time, he will be the one using Valon's weapon. Valon laughs, affirming that this is the Duel he's wanted, one to push him to the limits. The time has come for the last attack, which Joey confirms. Both Duelists lunge at each other, fists colliding precisely in an explosion so strong the shockwave knocks Mai off her feet.
From several blocks away, Téa stops running, signaling the others to look. A spiraling white column of light is blasting up to the sky, and Yami sees Timaeus glow once again.
At the center of the energy storm, Joey and Valon struggle for ground. Both are happy even as they fight, and outside, Mai gets back to her feet and cries out Joey's name. Valon's surprise at this is overwritten when Joey Activates his weapon's Ability: by Tributing his other Monster, he is able to Destroy all of Valon's Monsters and then inflict Damage to Valon equal to the total ATK of those Monsters. The power of Joey's Attack gathers, and with one final yell, Joey sends Valon flying back, all of Valon's armor breaking apart even as he brakes himself to a standing stop. The rest of his Life Points drop to zero, and he admits defeat, dropping to one knee.
He turns to Mai, who is very shaken by the outcome, and he tells her not to look like that. No matter who she's thinking of, he believes they'll come back together in the end. Even though she saw the awful side of him and he still lost, he has no regrets. She moves closer to him, stepping within inches of the border. Valon then turns to Jounouchi and leaves Mai in his care. Just after Joey nods to this, Valon slumps to his side, and Mai calls out his name. But he's already unconscious, and the Seal closes in on him, beaming to the sky before leaving his body.
Within Dartz's temple, a new tablet appears with the image of Valon, crouching and quiescent. He announces that Mai is next, sounding sure of it so he can revive The Orichalcos God. He challenges her to show him her heart's 'Dark'.
Mai's Will To Fight. Edit
Mai bends down and hugs Valon's body, crying and whispering his name. She remembers him telling her how he was like her, unable to live without winning. But then he found someone he could share his victories with -- her. Her eyes clear up, and she regains her breath, setting him down as Joey calls her name.
She calls him stupid for talking about Duels like they can be shared, when they're really for oneself. But when she grins and adds that that's why Valon lost, Joey insists that Valon gave his best for that fight. Mai notes his emotion and turns to him, the Seal glowing briefly on her forehead as she asks, "Isn't Valon an enemy?" Joey confirms it, but says he respects people who fight with all they have. She only smirks at him, and he challenges her to a Duel. He realizes that's the only way to reach her feelings, and he encourages her to Duel with no holding back from either of them.
With Valon's body set aside, the two prepare their Duel.
Yami and the others continue in Joey's direction, guided by Yami's intuition from Timaeus. Kaiba and Mokuba remark that there's no one around them, and Kaiba's hunch that Doma is responsible is confirmed when ranks of Oreichalcos Soldiers appear before them.
A New Duel. Edit
Mai begins the Duel, and Joey struggles in his response, still feeling the injuries from the previous Duel. His Turn is a simple one, which Mai thinks about and realizes is unlike him. But he assures her he's not holding back. He now understands that, in his duel with Valon, they talked a lot, and not just with words.
In doing so, Joey sensed Valon's heart, and that's why he also wants a serious duel with her. He hopes that she'll understand him by the end of it, and he wants to understand her, too. Speechless for a moment, she laughs at the idea he could understand her, who keeps dueling just to win. He answers that he doesn't understand that at first, but even so, he's doesn't want to give up.
Her response is to keep going, and their Duel becomes a fight to keep a Monster in play. Jounouchi gains the upper hand with a high-level monster, but when Mai plays the Seal of Orichalcos, it affirms the drive to win in her heart and puts her Monsters back in the lead. As a final defense, Joey uses Scapegoat, but Mai is fully prepared for this move with her Nightmare Tri-Mirror trap, flooding her Field with high-powered Harpies. Joey is still hardly closer to reaching through the feelings in her heart, and he has only one Turn to prepare for the Attack she is still eager to unleash.
Featured Duel #1: Joey Wheeler vs. Valon - Part 4Edit
Joey Wheeler's TurnEdit
- Since Aura Armor's "Player Token" was Special Summoned to the Field, Joey must Pay half his Life Points (Joey: 200 → 100 Life Points).
- Joey sets two Cards.
- Draws "Phoenix Gravitation".
- Activates "Psychic Armor Head's" second Special Ability, Special Summoning it (0 → 500 ATK / 500 DEF) back from the Graveyard in Attack Position.
- Activates Quick-Play Spell Card "Phoenix Gravitation": Valon Special Summons 4 Armor Monsters from his Graveyard. He chooses to Special Summon "Burning Knuckle" (0 → 500 ATK / 1000 DEF), "Jet Gauntlet" (0 → 500 ATK / 1500 DEF), "Over Boost" (0 → 500 ATK / 1000 DEF), and "Active Guard" (0 → 500 ATK / 2500 DEF) back from his Graveyard in Attack Position.
- Thanks to its Special Ability, "Burning Knuckle" gains +200 ATK for each face-up Armor monster Valon controls: with 5 such Monsters this totals to a +1000 ATK bonus ("Burning Knuckle": 500 → 1500 ATK / 1000 DEF).
- Joey activates Trap Card "Graverobber", taking "Big Bang Blow" from Valon's Graveyard and Special Summoning it to his side of the field (0 ATK / 0 DEF) in Attack Position (NOTE: in the real game, only Spell Cards can be targeted with "Graverobber" and the Activation of the robbed Spell has a 2000 LP cost).
- Joey Activates Trap Card "Take One Chance": Joey selects one random card from his Graveyard and that card will then immediately be Special Summoned/Activated ignoring any and all conditions/requirements. The Card randomly selected from his Graveyard is "The Claw of Hermos". It is immediately Activated as per the effect of "Take One Chance".
- Joey Fuses "Big Bang Blow" with "The Claw of Hermos" to form "Big Bang Dragon Blow", Equipping it to his "Player Token".
- Valon uses "Burning Knuckle" to Attack Joey's "Player Token", but Joey Activates "Big Bang Dragon Blow's" Special Ability: he Tributes "Red-Eyes Black Dragon" to Destroy Valon's Monsters and inflict Damage to Valon equal to the combined ATK of his destroyed monsters (Valon's Active Guard is thereby destroyed before Damage is dealt, and thus can't be used as Damage prevention). (Valon: 900 → 0 Life Points). Joey wins.
Featured Duel #2: Mai Valentine vs. Joey Wheeler - Part 1Edit
Mai Valentine's TurnEdit
- Draws "Cyber Harpie Lady" and subsequently Normal Summons it (1800 ATK / 1300 DEF) in Attack Position.
Joey Wheeler 's TurnEdit
- Joey draws "Gilford the Lightning".
- Aside from "Gilford the Lightning", Joey's hand contains "Blue Flame Swordsman", "Scapegoat", "Swordsman of Landstar", "Vow of Tribe", and "Dark Dragon Ritual".
- Summons "Blue Flame Swordsman" (1800 ATK / 1600 DEF) in Attack Position.
Mai Valentine's TurnEdit
- Draws another "Cyber Harpie Lady" and subsequently Normal Summons it (1800 ATK / 1300 DEF) in Attack Position.
- Mai's hand contains "Cyber Harpie Lady", "Aero Nail", "Monster Reborn", "Amazoness Spellcaster", and "Nightmare Tri-Mirror".
- Equips one of her "Cyber Harpie Ladies" with Equip Spell Card "Aero Nail", increasing its ATK by 300 ("Cyber Harpie Lady": 1800 → 2100 ATK / 1300 DEF).
- Uses the "Cyber Harpie Lady" Equipped with "Aero Nail" to Attack & Destroy Joey's "Blue Flame Swordsman" (Joey: 4000 → 3700 Life Points). "Blue Flame Swordsman's" second Special Ability activates: Joey can Special Summon "Flame Swordsman" (1800 ATK / 1600 DEF) in Attack Position (NOTE: in the anime, "Flame Swordsman" is not a Fusion Monster).
- Sets a Card.
Joey Wheeler's TurnEdit
- Draws "Cyber-Tech Alligator".
- Tributes "Flame Swordsman" to Summon "Cyber-Tech Alligator" (2500 ATK / 1600 DEF) in Attack Position.
- Uses "Cyber-Tech Alligator" to Attack & Destroy Mai's "Cyber Harpie Lady" Equipped with "Aero Nail" (Mai: 4000 → 3600 Life Points).
- Thanks to its Special Ability, "Aero Nail" can re-Equip itself to Mai's other "Cyber Harpie Lady" ("Cyber Harpie Lady": 1800 → 2100 ATK / 1300 DEF).
- Sets a Card.
Mai Valentine's TurnEdit
- Draws Field Spell Card "The Seal of Orichalcos" and subsequently activates it. From now on, all of Mai's Monsters will receive a +500 ATK boost and the loser of this Duel will lose his/her soul ("Cyber Harpie Lady": 2100 → 2600 ATK / 1300 DEF).
- Summons another "Cyber Harpie Lady" (1800 → 2300 ATK / 1300 DEF) in Attack Position.
- Uses the "Cyber Harpie Lady" equipped with "Aero Nail" to Attack & Destroy Joey's "Cyber-Tech Alligator" (Joey: 3700 → 3600 Life Points).
- Uses the second "Cyber Harpie Lady" to attack Joey directly, but Joey Activates Quick-Play Spell Card "Scapegoat", Special Summoning 4 "Sheep Tokens" (0 ATK / 0 each DEF) in Defense Position.
- Activates Trap Card "Nightmare Tri-Mirror", selecting "Cyber Harpie Lady" and Special Summoning 4 more copies of it to her side of the Field (1800 → 2300 ATK / 1300 DEF) in Attack Position. These Monsters cannot Attack.
- Uses the second "Cyber Harpie Lady" to Attack & Destroy one of Joey's "Sheep Tokens".
The following cards appeared in this episode. Cards in italics debuted here.
- ↑ This card was played as a Normal Monster. It is a Fusion Monster in the TCG/OCG.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 This card was seen in Joey's hand only in his next Duel.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 This card was seen in Mai's hand.