|Yu-Gi-Oh! - Episode 125|
Yami no Junkesshō Jōnōchi Vāsasu Mariku
Semifinal of Darkness - Jonochi vs. Marik
The Darkness Returns - Part 1
|Japanese air date||
September 10, 2002
|English air date||
May 15, 2004
|Episode listing||Yu-Gi-Oh! episode listing (season 3)|
|Previous||Back to Battle City - Part 3|
|Next||The Darkness Returns - Part 2|
- First Duel of the Battle City Semi-Finals.
- Many of "The Winged Dragon of Ra's" effects are revealed.
- This is a Shadow Game with upped stakes. Marik makes it so that "dark energy strings" connect Marik and Joey to each monster they summon. As a monster is destroyed or weakened, a corresponding amount of "damage" is dealt to the monster's owner. As it turns out, Joey is the only one whose physical energy is visibly affected, albeit not as badly as Marik had expected.
- Joey collapses from pain and exhaustion (almost dying) before he can make the winning move and thus, loses the Duel.
Featured Duel: Marik Ishtar vs. Joey Wheeler - Part 1Edit
Turn 2: Joey Wheeler
Draws "Alligator's Sword". Joey's hand contains "Scapegoat", "Rocket Warrior", "Graceful Dice", "Foolish Burial", "Baby Dragon" and "Alligator's Sword". Sets a card and Normal Summons "Alligator's Sword" (1500 ATK / 1200 DEF) in Defense Position.
Turn 3: Yami Marik
Yami Marik draws. He then Normal Summons "Drillago" (1600 ATK / 1000 DEF) in Attack Position. "Drillago" attacks and destroys "Alligator's Sword". "Gil Garth" attacks Joey directly, but Joey activates "Scapegoat", Special Summoning four "Sheep Tokens" (0 ATK / 0 DEF) in Defense Position. "Gil Garth" destroys a "Sheep Token".
Turn 4: Joey Wheeler
Draws "Panther Warrior" and subsequently Normal Summons it (2000 ATK / 1600 DEF) in Attack Position. Tributes a "Sheep Token" to allow "Panther Warrior" to attack. "Panther Warrior" destroys "Gil Garth" (Marik: 4000 → 3800 Life Points).
Turn 5: Yami Marik
Draws "Hidden Soldiers". Marik's hand contains "Card of Last Will", "Tribute Burial", "Plasma Eel", "Helpoemer" and "Hidden Soldier". Activates Magic Card "Tribute Burial", removing from play "Alligator's Sword" from Joey's Graveyard and "Gil Garth" from his own to Summon "Helpoemer" (2000 ATK / 1400 DEF) in Attack Position with no Tributes. Yami Marik sets a card.
Turn 6: Joey Wheeler
Draws "Jinzo". Normal Summons "Rocket Warrior" (1500 ATK / 1300 DEF) in Attack Position. Marik activates Trap Card "Hidden Soldiers", Special Summoning "Plasma Eel" (500 ATK / 1200 DEF) in Attack Position since Joey Normal Summoned a monster. Yami Marik activates the effect of "Plasma Eel", equipping it to "Panther Warrior". "Rocket Warrior" attacks "Helpoemer". This activates "Rocket Warrior's" effect, reducing "Helpoemer's ATK by 500 ("Helpoemer": 2000 → 1500 ATK / 1500 DEF); "Rocket Warrior's" effect also prevents it from being destroyed and it also negates all Battle Damage Joey would have taken from the attack. Tributes a "Sheep Token" to allow "Panther Warrior" to attack. "Panther Warrior" destroys "Helpoemer" (Marik: 3800 → 3300 Life Points). Since it was sent to the Graveyard as a result of battle, "Helpoemer's" effect activates, forcing Joey to randomly discard a card from his hand at the end of each of his Battle Phases so long as "Helpoemer" is in the Graveyard. The first card Joey discards because of the effect of "Helpoemer" is "Jinzo".
Changes to the English DubEdit
- The pincers on "Plasma Eel" are made glowy in the dub.
- Cut from the dub is "Plasma Eel" digging into "Panther Warrior"'s head and him twitching.
- The violence of the Sheep Tokens is obscured in the dub.
- Helpoemer's cross is changed to a slab in the English version.
- A shot of Yami Marik gagging after Helpoemer is struck by Rocket Warrior's effect is also removed from the dub.
The following cards appeared in this episode. Cards in italics debuted here.
- ↑ This was played as a Normal Monster. It is an Effect Monster in the TCG/OCG.
- ↑ This card can be seen, it was Set.
- ↑ This card can be seen, it was Set in the dub.
- ↑ This card can be seen in Marik's hand.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 This card can be seen in Joey's hand.