Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|Yu-Gi-Oh! - Episode 111|
Biggu Faibu no Gyakushū
Big 5's Counterattack
Merger of the Big Five, Part 1
|Japanese air date||
June 18, 2002
|English air date||
January 17, 2004
|Episode listing||Yu-Gi-Oh! episode listing (season 3)|
|Next||Merger of the Big Five, Part 2|
"Merger of the Big Five, Part 1", known as "Big Five's Counterattack" in the Japanese version, is the one hundred and eleventh episode of the Yu-Gi-Oh! anime. It first aired in Japan on June 18, 2002 and in the United States on January 17, 2004.
- Kaiba breaks away from the group so he can search for Noah and Mokuba. He is surprised to discover an exact virtual copy of Kaiba Land, his new theme park, when he hasn't shared the plans with anyone yet.
- Noah speaks with The Big Five. Nezbitt is ready to leave the Virtual World in Tristan's body, but the rest are in danger of dismissal for their failures. They beg Noah for one more chance.
- Noah gives them their opportunity, and as their final chance for escape, the Big Five challenge Yugi, each taking turns speaking through Tristan's body.
- If Yugi wins, they will give back Tristan's body. If the Big Five win, they win the bodies of Yugi and all his friends.
- Joey declares five against one to be an uneven match-up, so he demands to also be in this Duel.
- The Big Five speak privately with one another, initially inclined to reject this addition to the deal. However, Johnson believes that Joey will merely be a burden to Yugi. When Leichter points out that Joey beat Johnson, the latter persists and decides to use Joey's presence to give them an advantage.
- Speaking to Yugi and Joey, Johnson accepts this arrangement on the condition that the Big Five begin the Duel with 8000 Life Points while Yugi and Joey begin with 4000 each.
- While constructing his Deck, Joey adds "Cyber Harpie Lady" in honor of Mai. Later, it turns out that he also added "Harpie's Feather Duster."
- Yami Yugi: "Dark Magician"
- Joey Wheeler: "Flame Swordsman"
- The Big Five: "Deepsea Warrior" and "Nightmare Penguin"
Featured Duel: Yami Yugi + Joey Wheeler vs. The Big Five, Part 1
Turn 1: The Big Five (Gansley)
Gansley draws "The Legendary Fisherman". He then activates "A Legendary Ocean". Now all WATER monsters on the field and in both players' hands have their levels reduced by one and in addition all WATER monsters gain 200 ATK and DEF. He then Normal Summons "The Legendary Fisherman" ( 5 → 4/1850/1600) in Attack Position. As the name of "A Legendary Ocean" is treated as "Umi", "The Legendary Fisherman" cannot be attacked and is unaffected by Magic Cards.
Turn 4: The Big Five (Crump)
At this point, Crump takes over for Gansley. Crump draws. Due to the Deck Master Ability of "Nightmare Penguin", the ATK of "The Legendary Fisherman" rises by 200 ("The Legendary Fisherman": 1850 → 2050/1600) as it's a WATER monster. "The Legendary Fisherman" attacks and destroys "Gazelle". Crump then Normal Summons "Catapult Turtle" (1000/2000) in Defense Position.
Turn 5: Joey
Joey draws "Kunai with Chain" and subsequently Sets it. Joey's hand contains "Fairy Box", "Burning Soul Sword", "Polymerization", "Double Snare", and "Cyber Harpie". Joey Normal Summons "Cyber Harpie" (1800/1300) in Attack Position and switches "Alligator's Sword" to Attack Position.
Turn 6: Yami
Yami Yugi's hand contains "Buster Blader", "Alpha the Magnet Warrior", "Black Luster Ritual", "Card Destruction", and "Kuriboh". Yami Yugi draws "Mystical Elf" and subsequently Normal Summons it (800/2000) in Defense Position.
Turn 7: The Big Five (Crump)
Crump draws. "The Legendary Fisherman" attacks "Mystical Elf", but Joey activates his face-down "Kunai with Chain" to switch "The Legendary Fisherman" to Defense Position, equip "Kunai with Chain" onto "Alligator's Sword" and increase the ATK of "Alligator's Sword" by 500 ("Alligator's Sword": 1500 → 2000/1200). Crump Sets a monster ("Magician of Faith").
Turn 8: Joey
Joey draws "Harpie's Feather Duster" and subsequently activates it to destroy "A Legendary Ocean" ("Catapult Turtle" 1400 → 1200/2200 → 2000; 4 → 5). "Cyber Harpie Lady" attacks and destroys "The Legendary Fisherman". "Alligator's Sword" attacks and destroys The Big Five's face-down monster. It's revealed to be "Magician of Faith" (300/400). The Flip Effect of "Magician of Faith" then activates, letting Crump add "A Legendary Ocean" from his Graveyard to his hand. Crump's hand contains "Monster Reborn", "Premature Burial", "Polymerization", "Driving Snow", and "A Legendary Ocean". Crump plans to activate "A Legendary Ocean" next turn as well as use "Monster Reborn" to revive "The Legendary Fisherman" which will rebuild the Big Five's previous combo.
Turn 9: Yami
Yami Yugi draws. He then Normal Summons "Kuriboh" (300/200) in Defense Position. He then activates "Card Destruction" to force all players to discard their hand and draw the same amount of cards they discarded. Crump is thus forced to discard "A Legendary Ocean" along with his other cards. At this point, Johnson takes over for Crump.
Differences In Adaptations
- Cut from the dub is a shot of robot monkey Honda, moved to tears by Jounouchi's insistence on fighting for him.
- Another sequence with robot monkey Honda and the gang is cut from the English version. Firstly, Honda tearfully urges Yugi and Jounouchi on. Anzu tells him not to worry, and Otogi says he'll soon have his body back. He thanks them, and Shizuka, who encourages her brother. Honda melts in her arms.
- Brainwashed Mokuba has red eyes in the dub.
- When Joey has a flashback of Mai getting sent to the Shadow Realm, Yami Marik has the original Marik's voice by mistake.
- In the original, "Alligator's Sword" got the boost from "Kunai with Chain." In the dub, it was "Cyber Harpie Lady." Despite this change, "Alligator's Sword" is still shown holding the weapon.
The following cards appeared in this episode. Cards in italics debuted here.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 This card can be seen in Yugi's hand.
- ↑ Yugi picks this card when he was building his Deck.
- ↑ This was played as a Normal Monster. It is a Fusion Monster in the TCG/OCG.
- ↑ Joey picks this card when he was building his Deck.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 This card can be seen in Joey's hand.
- ↑ This card was played as a Magic Card. It was depicted as a Trap Card in the English version. It is a Trap Card in the TCG/OCG.
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 7.3 This card can be seen in The Big Five's hand.