|Yu-Gi-Oh! - Episode 098|
Michinaru Chōsensha Kyodai Kidō Yōsai Fujō!
The Unknown Challenger - The Giant Mobile Fortress Surfaces!
A Virtual Nightmare
|Japanese air date||
March 12 2002
|English air date||
November 1 2003
|Episode listing||Yu-Gi-Oh! episode listing (season 3)|
|Previous||Showdown in the Shadows, Part 2|
|Next||Isolated in Cyber Space, Part 1|
A Virtual Nightmare, known as The Unknown Challenger - The Giant Mobile Fortress Surfaces! in the Japanese version, is the 98th episode of the Yu-Gi-Oh! television series. It is the Season 3 premiere, as well as the beginning of the Virtual World arc.
Before the Battle City semi-finals can commence, Seto Kaiba's blimp is suddenly commandeered by a mysterious boy named Noah, who seems to know Seto personally and reveals that he has forged an alliance with Seto's old foes, the Big Five.
The KaibaCorp blimp is en route to KaibaCorp Island (Alcatraz in the Japanese Version) when it suddenly changes course to a fortress that is run by a mysterious boy named Noah. The blimp docks inside the fortress and is locked down by magnetic anchors.
While inside the fortress, Seto Kaiba, Yugi Muto and the rest of the group encounter some old foes — KaibaCorp's former Board of Directors, The Big Five, who inform them that they are now part of Noah's Virtual World after their last battle with Seto and Yugi had destroyed their bodies when "Five-Headed Dragon" was also destroyed (at the end of the Legendary Heroes mini-arc).
Now, they propose a challenge to Yugi, Kaiba and the rest of the group: In order to escape from Noah's Virtual World, The Big Five each need to be in possession of a body and offer each of them a challenge to Duel. If any of them lose a Duel to one of The Big Five, that person will gain control of their body.
They explain the new Deck Master system to the group by having them watch a virtual Duel between Seto and "Total Defense Shogun", finishing with the rule of an automatic loss if the Deck Master you choose is destroyed. And, to even the odds in their favor, The Big Five declare that they will be Dueling everyone currently present before them.
Featured Duel: Simulated Seto Kaiba vs. Total Defense ShogunEdit
Turn 1: Simulated Kaiba
- He then activates "The Flute of Summoning Dragon", allowing him to Special Summon 2 "Blue-Eyes White Dragons" to the field (3000/2500 for both) in Attack Position.
- Next Simulated Kaiba moves his Deck Master to the field (3000/2500) and places it in Attack Position.
- Simulated Kaiba activates "Polymerization", fusing his 3 "Blue-Eyes White Dragons" to Fusion Summon "Blue-Eyes Ultimate Dragon" (4500/3800) in Attack Position. The latter monster now becomes Simulated Kaiba's new Deck Master. Due to the Deck Master ability of Simulated Kaiba's Deck Master, it can attack in the turn it is summoned.
- Kaiba attacks "Total Defense Shogun" directly with "Blue-Eyes Ultimate Dragon".
- "Total Defense Shogun" activates its own Deck Master ability, paying 1000 Life Points (Total Defense Shogun: 4000 → 3000) to negate the attack and destroy the monster who targeted it in battle(In this case, "Blue-Eyes Ultimate Dragon").[Notes 1]
- With his "Blue-Eyes Ultimate Dragon" Deck Master destroyed, Simulated Kaiba automatically loses the Duel.
The following cards appeared in this episode. Cards in italics debuted here.
- ↑ The mention of paying Life Points is removed from the English dub.