|Yu-Gi-Oh! - Episode 090|
Mai Vāsasu Mariku Yami no Dyueru
Mai vs. Marik - Duel of Darkness
Mind Game, Part 1
|Japanese air date||
January 15, 2002
|English air date||
October 4, 2003
|Episode listing||Yu-Gi-Oh! episode listing (season 2)|
|Previous||Awakening of Evil, Part 4|
|Next||Mind Game, Part 2|
- 3rd Duel of the Battle City Quarter-Finals.
- Duel takes place in the Shadow Realm. When a monster is destroyed, its owner will lose pieces of their memory: Mai loses Téa.
- Mai gets hold of "The Winged Dragon of Ra", but can't use it because her blood is not part of the Royal Egyptians and therefore, can't read the ancient text on the card.
Featured Duel: Mai Valentine vs. Yami Marik, Part 1Edit
Turn 2: Yami Marik
Yami Marik draws "Revival Jam" and subsequently Normal Summons it (1500/500) in Defense Position. He then activates Continuous Magic Card "Jam Breeding Machine". While this card is face-up on the field, Yami Marik can once a turn Special Summon 1 "Slime Token" in Attack Position. If he summons anything else besides a Slime Token, "Jam Breeding Machine" will be destroyed.
Turn 4: Yami Marik
Yami Marik draws Magic Card "Pot of Greed" and subsequently activates it to draw 2 cards (they are "Jam Defender" and "Remove Trap"). Yami Marik then activates the effect of "Jam Breeding Machine" to Special Summon 1 "Slime Token" (500/500) in Attack Position. Yami Marik then Sets a card (NOTE: in the Japanese version, Kaiba explains to Mokuba that the set card must be "Jam Defender", which allows Yami Marik to switch the target of all Mai's attacks to "Revival Jam". In the English dub, Yugi thinks this but doesn't say it.).
Turn 5: Mai
Mai draws Magic Card "Harpie's Feather Duster" and subsequently activates it to destroy all of Yami Marik's Magic and Trap Cards. "Dunames Dark Witch" attacks and destroys "Slime Token" (Yami Marik 4000 → 2700). Mai Sets a card.
Turn 6: Yami Marik
Yami Marik Normal Summons "Melchid the Four-Face Beast" (1500/1200) in Attack Position. He then Tributes "Melchid" and "Revival Jam" to Special Summon "Masked Beast Des Gardius" (3300/2500) in Attack Position. "Masked Beast Des Gardius" attacks "Dunames Dark Witch", but Mai activates Continuous Trap Card "Mirror Wall" to halve the ATK of all of Marik's attacking monsters ("Masked Beast Des Gardius": 3300 → 1650/2500). "Dunames Dark Witch" destroys "Masked Beast Des Gardius" (Yami Marik 2700 → 2550). This activates the effect of "Masked Beast Des Gardius", allowing Yami Marik to activate "The Mask of Remnants" from his Deck. "The Mask of Remnants" then equips itself to "Dunames Dark Witch" and switches control of it. Yami Marik then activates his set Magic Card "Remove Trap" to destroy "Mirror Wall".
Turn 7: Mai
Mai draws. She then passes.
Turn 8: Yami Marik
Yami Marik passes.
Turn 9: Mai
Mai draws. She then Sets a card. Next Mai Normal Summons "The Unfriendly Amazon" (2000/1000) in Attack Position. "The Unfriendly Amazon" attacks and destroys "Dunames Dark Witch" (Yami Marik 2550 → 2350).
Changes to the English VersionEdit
- Cut from the US version is a bird's-eye view of the Battle Ship flying along, as the announcer's voice says that the duelists for round three will be chosen in fifteen minutes.
- Scenes of Odion and Joey being struck by "Ra's" lightning are added over Joey's scene in the US version.
- A shot of Joey clenching his fist is cut from the US version.
- In the Japanese Version, Yami Marik wants to kill Odion. In the dub, he wants to send him to the shadow realm.
- A scene of Marik pulling a dagger out of the Millennium Rod and holding the point of the Rod's dagger over Odion's face is cut from the US version.
- The dagger on the Millennium Rod digitized out.
- A shot of Kaiba thinking he'll watch the power of "Ra" is cut from the US version.
- A spilt-screen of Mai and Yami Marik replaces a shot of Joey in the dub.
- The words "DRAW TWO" on Yami Marik's duel disk is replaced with the number "4000".
- A close-up of Kaiba is cut.
- Cut from the US version is a short scene of Tristan saying this is like Yugi and Pegasus's Duel.
- A shadow version of Téa being sliced in two by "Unfriendly Amazon" is cut.
- The words "TO BE CONTINUED" are added at the end of the dub episode.
The following cards appeared in this episode. Cards in italics debuted here.