|Yu-Gi-Oh! - Episode 062|
Majishan no Deshi Burakku Majishan Gāru
The Magician's Disciple - Black Magician Girl
The Master of Magicians, Part 3
|Japanese air date||
July 3, 2001
|English air date||
February 8, 2003
The Afternoon of that Day
|Episode listing||Yu-Gi-Oh! episode listing (season 2)|
|Previous||The Master of Magicians, Part 2|
|Next||Playing with a Parasite, Part 1|
The Master of Magicians, Part 3, known as The Magician's Disciple - Black Magician Girl in the Japanese version, is the sixty-second episode of Yu-Gi-Oh!. It aired in Japan on July 3, 2001, and in the US on February 8, 2003.
- Yami Yugi summons "Dark Magician Girl" for the first time. With extra attack points from other "Dark Magicians" in the graveyard, Arkana's "Dark Magician" is beaten, and Yugi wins.
- Arkana tries to use a hidden key to break himself out. However, Marik plays tricks on his mind using his Millennium Rod. Yami Yugi turns back into Yugi who breaks himself and Arkana out of their locks.
- Marik speaks to Yugi through Arkana and tells him of his motives and plans. Just afterwards, Téa, Solomon Muto, Mokuba and Tristan find Yugi.
Featured Duel: Yami Yugi vs. Arkana, Part 3
Turn 19: Yami
Yami Yugi draws. He then Normal Summons "Gazelle the King of Mythical Beasts" (1500/1200) in Attack Position. Arkana then activates his face-down "Shadow Balance" to destroy Yami's monsters until he and Arkana has the same number of monsters. Since there are no monsters on Arkana's side of the field, "Shadow Balance's" effect destroys both "Gazelle the King of Mythical Beasts" and "Big Shield Gardna".
Turn 20: Arkana
Arkana draws. He then activates "Dark Magic Curtain" to pay half his Life Points (Arkana 1500 → 750) and Special Summon a Dark Magician from his Deck (2500/2100) in Attack Position. He then activates "Anti-Magic Arrows" to prevent Yami Yugi from activating his Set cards.
Arkana's "Dark Magician" attacks directly, but Yami Yugi activates "Dark Magic Curtain's" effect to pay half his Life Points (Yami 700 → 350) and Special Summon "Dark Magician Girl" (2000/1700) in Attack Position. Yami Yugi states that due to the effect of "Dark Magician Girl", it gains 300 ATK for each "Dark Magician" in the Graveyard.
A replay occurs, and Arkana, believing that Yami Yugi has only one "Dark Magician" in his Graveyard (which would make the ATK of "Dark Magician Girl" 2300), uses his "Dark Magician" to attack "Dark Magician Girl". However, Yami Yugi then reminds Arkana that "Dark Magician Girl" gains ATK from "Dark Magicians" in both players' Graveyards ("Dark Magician Girl": 2000 → 2600/1700). "Dark Magician Girl" then destroys Arkana's "Dark Magician" (Arkana 750 → 650) ("Dark Magician Girl": 2600 → 2900/1700).
Yugi gets the key to his cuffs and a Locator Card as well. Arkana is about to use the spare key in his sleeve to free himself, but Marik tampers with his mind causing it to seemingly disappear (even though it really didn't), and Arkana drops it. Yugi then grabs the key and frees Arkana before the disc/blade hits him. Arkana then runs over to what appears to be Catherine, but it is really a doll replica of her, although Marik earlier toying with his mind seems to make him believe that the doll is really Catherine, even when the doll's head falls off. Marik then takes full control of Arkana and makes him lose consciousness (sends his mind to the Shadow Realm in the dub) and talks with Yugi.
In the original, since Yugi was somehow "unconscious" despite his bond with Yami when Yami Yugi was in control when "meeting" Marik for the first time through Seeker, he reveals his name again and also more of his family's past than in the dub, such as how his Clan had to give up their lives to protect the 2 Millennium Items they received in the tomb; Yugi also figures out Yami is looking for his lost memories and decides to help him, even if this means they will eventually be separated, while he already knew Yami's destiny to get them back and save the world, and was making it his own destiny to help him in the dub. After explaining what his true plan is for both versions, Marik releases his control over Arkana. Yugi's friends and his grandpa then find and take him out of the chamber. The last scenes are of Marik and Odion, and in the original he reveals how he hates Yami Yugi because he supposedly killed his father.
Changes to the dub
- "Dark Magic Curtain's" pentagram is given five more points.
- "Dark Magician Girl's" pentagram is changed to a red jewel. Also, a blue skirt is temporarily added to her costume at one point to conceal her thigh.
- Marik explaining his family's past is cut.
- A frame of Yugi with the three God cards behind him is cut.
- The buzzsaw glows blue and its blades are obscured, to match the dub's depiction of them as "Dark Energy Disks".
- A shot of the buzzsaw nearing dangerously close to Pandora/Arkana's leg is cut.
- In the original, Marik wants to kill Yugi. In the dub, he wants to send him to the Shadow Realm.
- From a close-up near the episode's beginning, the buzzsaw near Yami Yugi has its right side close to the number 1000, but the next view of the saw, from far-away, shows its left side closest to the number and the right side touching the vertical line that means 500 life points. Then the next close-up shows it as the first view again.
- When Arkana places "Shadow Balance" on the field, he calls it a Monster, when in fact "Shadow Balance" is a Trap.
- When "Gazelle the King of Mythical Beasts" is summoned, it's shown with three claws on its front paws. However, just before "Shadow Balance" "swallows" "Gazelle", it has four claws on its front paws, then back to three just moments before it's destroyed.
- When Yugi is talking to Marik through Arkana in the Japanese, finally "meeting" him for the first time, he asks Marik if the memory stone tablet and the 7 Millennium Items are connected, but Yugi knew absolutely nothing of Yami Yugi's museum visit, or even where he went with Tea.
The following cards appeared in this episode. Cards in italics debuted here.