|Yu-Gi-Oh! - Episode 037|
Hangeki Kaishi! Maindo Shaffuru
Counterattack Begins! Mind Shuffle
Yugi vs. Pegasus: Match of the Millennium, Part 3
|Japanese air date||
January 9, 2001
|English air date||
September 28, 2002
|Episode listing||Yu-Gi-Oh! episode listing (season 1)|
|Previous||Yugi vs. Pegasus: Match of the Millennium, Part 2|
|Next||Yugi vs. Pegasus: Match of the Millennium, Part 4|
Yugi vs. Pegasus: Match of the Millennium, Part 3, known as Counterattack Begins ! Mind Shuffle in the Japanese version, is the thirty-seventh episode of Yu-Gi-Oh!. It aired in Japan on January 9, 2001, and in the US on September 28, 2002.
Yugi tries to counter Pegasus' Millennium Eye by Summoning "Dark Magician" and using "Magical Hats". However, Pegasus can still read his mind and figure out which hat he is hiding under. Tea reminds Yugi that he also has magic: the magic of the Millennium Puzzle.
Yugi and Yami devise a plan to counter Pegasus' Millennium Eye by repeatedly switching control of Yugi's body each turn. They will not even tell each other what cards they place on the field, making Pegasus unable to figure out their strategies. This works as Pegasus attacks two Hats and misses. When Pegasus activates "Magical Neutralizing Force" to destroy the "Magical Hats", Yugi activates "Living Arrow", fusing it with Pegasus' card to destroy "Toon World". When "Toon Summoned Skull" attacks, he activates "Mirror Force" to destroy all of his monsters and drop his Life Points to 600.
Pegasus decides to take the Duel up a notch by sending it to the Shadow Realm. Meanwhile, Tristan and Bakura are cornered in the dungeon, and Bakura uses "Man-Eater Bug" and "Morphing Jar" to attack Pegasus's guards and sends them to the Graveyard with "Morphing Jar". Tristan realizes that Bakura is really the spirit of the Millennium Ring, and Bakura reveals that he wants to use Mokuba's body for himself. He threatens Tristan, saying that if he doesn't give him up, he will kill him like he did the guards.
Featured Duel: Yami Yugi/Yugi Muto vs. Maximillion Pegasus
|This article may require cleanup to meet this wiki's standards.|
Turn 17: Yami Yugi
Yami Normal Summons "Dark Magician" (2500/2100) in Attack Position. He then activates "Magical Hats" to hide "Dark Magician" within 1 of four hats. Pegasus then tries to find out the location of "Dark Magician" by reading Yugi's mind. At this point, both Yami and Yugi realize that the Millennium Eye is giving Pegasus too big of an advantage, Yami decides to do a "Mind Shuffle" with Yugi in order to prevent Pegasus from knowing which cards Yami/Yugi sets face-down.
Turn 18: Pegasus
Pegasus releases "Toon Summoned Skull" from "Toon World". "Toon Summoned Skull" attacks and destroys the "Hat" that Yami had been thinking of, believing that is the hat that "Dark Magician" is hiding in, but that hat turns out to be empty because Yugi had already selected a new location for "Dark Magician" (In the dub, the location is unchanged. Instead, the attack fails because the location of "Dark Magician" went away with Yami.). Pegasus returns "Toon Summoned Skull" back into "Toon World".
Turn 19: Yami Yugi
Yugi draws a card and subsequently sets it. Pegasus tries to read Yugi's mind to find out what the set card was, but Yugi quickly switches minds back to Yami, who doesn't know what the set card is, so Pegasus doesn't find out what the set card is.
Turn 20: Pegasus
Pegasus draws. He then releases "Toon Summoned Skull" from "Toon World". "Toon Summoned Skull" attacks and destroys a "Hat", but it's empty. Pegasus returns "Toon Summoned Skull" back into "Toon World".
Turn 22: Pegasus
Pegasus draws "Magical Neutralizing Force" and subsequently activates it, destroying the remaining "Hats" and revealing Yami's "Dark Magician". Pegasus releases "Toon Summoned Skull" from "Toon World".
"Toon Summoned Skull" attacks "Dark Magician", but Yami Yugi switches minds with Yugi, who activates "Living Arrow" to target the "Magical Neutralizing Force" card Pegasus used a bit earlier for its effect and use "Living Arrow" to destroy "Toon World" and "Gorgon's Eye". Since "Toon World" was destroyed, all of Pegasus' monsters that were affected by "Toon World" are returned to their 'normal' versions, which are now vulnerable ("Toon Summoned Skull" → "Summoned Skull" (2500/1200); "Toon Mermaid" → "Red Archery Girl" (1400/1500); "Manga Ryu-Ran" → "Ryu-Ran" (2200/2600)). Yugi then activates "Mirror Force" to reflect "Summoned Skull"s attack right back at Pegasus' monsters, destroying every monster on Pegasus' side of the field that is in Attack Position and inflicting damage to Pegasus equal to the ATK difference between the reflected attack and each of the destroyed monsters (Pegasus 2000 → 600). At this point, Pegasus turns the duel into a Shadow Game.
Differences in adaptations
- When Pegasus tells Yugi that it doesn't matter about playing "Magical Hats" because he can just read Yugi's mind so he knows where the "Dark Magician" is hidden, cut from the dub is a shot of the 4 hats turning transparent revealing where the "Dark Magician" is.
- A shot of Yugi next to Yami is added of the white lights when Yugi calls to Yami in the dub, and then when Yami says that he feels that Pegasus is trying to read their minds, Pegasus and the Millennium Eye are added over the white lights.
- The guns in the guard's hands are removed in the dub, and a shot of the guards shooting "Man-Eater Bug" is removed.
- "Magical Neutralizing Force" is redesigned in the English version.
- In the dub, Tea has a voice over talking about how Yugi can't attack or defend because of Pegasus's "Toon World" and "Gorgon's Eye" cards.
- The sequencing in the dub shows the conversation between Yugi and Yami before Pegasus has "Toon Summon Skull" attack and Yugi says he doesn't know where the "Dark Magician" hides, where as in the original, Pegasus attacks first and finds that Yugi switched the hiding place of the "Dark Magician".
- Cut from the dub is the explanation of Yami Yugi given to Joey and Tea by Yugi when Joey asks what's going on because Pegasus mentions Yugi's "other mind".
- In the original, this is the first time Yugi and Yami Yugi talk to each other, whereas in the dub they first spoke to each other in episode 29 during their duel against Mai.
- Cut from the dub is the flashback conversation that Yugi and Tea have about Yugi saying that he feels that there is another presence inside of him.
- Cut from the dub is Yami Yugi's speech about a duelist's intuition because Pegasus has been relying mostly on his Millennium Eye.
The following cards appeared in this episode. Cards in italics debuted here.
- ↑ This card was seen as "Doppelganger" was copying this card's artwork.
- ↑ This was played as a Magic Card. It is a Trap Card in the TCG/OCG.