|Yu-Gi-Oh! - Episode 029|
Zettai Zetsumei! Yūwaku no Shadō
Desperate Situation! Shadow of Seduction
Duel Identity, Part 1
|Japanese air date||
November 7, 2000
|English air date||
August 24, 2002
|Episode listing||Yu-Gi-Oh! episode listing (season 1)|
|Previous||The Night Before|
|Next||Duel Identity, Part 2|
Duel Identity, Part 1, known as Absolute end! Shadow of seduction in the Japanese version, is the twenty-ninth episode of Yu-Gi-Oh!. It aired in Japan on November 7, 2000, and in the US on August 24, 2002.
The first duel of the Duelist Kingdom finals between Mai Valentine and Yugi Muto begins. This time, Mai is playing without cheating. The Duel does not start off very well for Yugi, as Mai's "Mirror Wall" cuts all of Yugi's attacking monsters' ATK in half, making them easy pickings for Mai's powered-up "Harpie Lady". Mai's "Shadow of Eyes" prevents him from playing any of his monsters in Defense Position, and her "Harpie's Feather Duster" destroys two of Yugi's strongest Trap Cards, "Spellbinding Circle" and "Mirror Force". To make things worse, Yugi and Yami continue to internally clash for control of the Duel, as Yugi will not let Yami Duel, for fear that he might recklessly hurt someone as he almost did when Seto threatened to kill himself if Yugi won. With only 300 Life Points left, can Yugi get over his fear and make a come-from-behind victory, or will he be eliminated and lose his chance to save his grandfather and the Kaiba brothers?
Featured Duel: Yami Yugi vs. Mai Valentine
Turn 1: Mai
Turn 2: Yami Yugi
- Yugi draws "Gaia the Fierce Knight" and subsequently Normal Summons it (2300/2100) in Attack Position.
- "Gaia the Fierce Knight" attacks "Harpie Lady", but Mai activates "Mirror Wall". Now when a monster Yami controls attacks, Mai can negate the attack and halve the ATK of the attacking monster. Since "Gaia" has just attacked, the effect of "Mirror Wall" activates, negating the attack and halving the ATK of "Gaia the Fierce Knight" ("Gaia the Fierce Knight": 2300 → 1150/2100).
Turn 3: Mai
- Mai draws "Cyber Shield" and subsequently activates it, equipping it onto "Harpie Lady" and increasing "Harpie Lady's" ATK and DEF by 500 ("Harpie Lady": 1300 → 1800/1400 → 1900).
- "Harpie Lady" attacks and destroys "Gaia the Fierce Knight" (Yugi 2000 → 1350).
Turn 4: Yami Yugi
- Yugi draws "Summoned Skull" and subsequently Normal Summons it (2500/1200) in Attack Position.
- "Summoned Skull" attacks "Harpie Lady" with "Summoned Skull", but Yami Yugi forgot that "Mirror Wall" is a Continuous Trap Card. "Mirror Wall's" effect then activates, negating "Summoned Skull's" attack and halving its ATK ("Summoned Skull": 2500 → 1250/1200).
- Sets 1 card.
Turn 5: Mai
Turn 6: Yami Yugi
- Switches Summoned Skull to Defense Position.
- Normal Summons "Feral Imp" (1300/1400) in Defense Position.
Turn 7: Mai
- Mai draws "Rose Whip" and subsequently activates it, equipping it onto "Harpie Lady" and increasing "Harpie Lady's" ATK and DEF by 300 ("Harpie Lady": 1800 → 2100/1900 → 2200).
- "Harpie Lady" attacks and destroys "Feral Imp".
Turn 8: Yami Yugi
- Yugi draws.
- Yugi passes his turn.
Turn 9: Mai
- Mai draws "Harpie's Pet Dragon" and subsequently Normal Summons it (2000/2500) in Attack Position. Due to its effect, "Harpie's Pet Dragon" gains 300 ATK and DEF for each "Harpie Lady" on the field. There is one, so "Harpie's Pet Dragon" gains 300 ATK and DEF ("Harpie's Pet Dragon": 2000 → 2300/2500 → 2800).
- "Harpie's Pet Dragon" attacks and destroys "Summoned Skull".
Turn 10: Yami Yugi
- Yugi Muto draws "Dark Magician" and subsequently Normal Summons it (2500/2100) in Defense Position.
- Sets 1 card.
Turn 11: Mai
- Mai draws "Shadow of Eyes" and subsequently activates it. Now all male monsters that Yami controls that are in Defense Position are switched to Attack Position. Any monsters that have been affected by this effect must attack the turn they have been switched into Attack Position, if able. Mai uses the effect of "Shadow of Eyes" to switch Dark Magician to Attack Position and force it to attack "Harpie Lady".
- "Mirror Wall's" effect activates, negating the attack and halving "Dark Magician's" ATK ("Dark Magician": 2500 → 1250/2100).
- Mai activates another "Harpie's Feather Duster" to destroy Yugi's Set card: "Mirror Force".
- "Harpie's Pet Dragon" attacks and destroys "Dark Magician" (Yugi 1350 → 300).
Differences in adaptations
- The English version shows "Yugi" dueling poorly because he is distracted by keeping the spirit of the puzzle in check. The Japanese version does not say this because it has never shown Yugi's and Atem's minds to be fused. Instead, Atem's spirit is the only one dueling, but he is thinking about defeating Pegasus and not paying proper attention to Mai.
- Similarly, the English version includes Atem asking multiple times for Yugi to accept his help, with Yugi refusing. The Japanese version does not have this exchange.
- "Harpie Lady"'s artwork and appearance was edited so it was less revealing.
- The spikes on "Cyber Shield"'s breastplate are removed.
- When Yugi summons his "Summoned Skull", in both Japanese and US adaptations, "Summoned Skull"'s defense points are 2300 and not 1200, as in the other episodes.
- In both versions, when Yugi draws "Summoned Skull", on the display of Mai's cards on the field you can see "Rose Whip" on it next to "Cyber Shield" when she hasn't played it yet.
- When "Rose Whip" is equipped, "Harpie Lady"'s ATK gains the 300 points starting from 2100 instead of ending at it. The correct number is displayed afterwards.
The following cards appeared in this episode. Cards in italics debuted here.