Trap Cards (Japanese:
Normal Trap Cards are Spell Speed 2. They can be activated during either player's turn as long as it wasn't set that turn. The effects of certain Normal Trap Cards behave like Equip Cards, but the card is still considered a Normal Trap Card.
Continuous Trap Cards are also Spell Speed 2. Their effects are applied as long as they are face-up on the field.
Counter Trap Cards are a Spell Speed 3. No cards or effects, except other Counter Trap Cards can be chained to a Counter Trap Card.
Below are some of the cards that allow Trap Cards to be activated from the hand instead of being Set:
- Normal Traps, which have no symbol on printed cards, but are sometimes given the capital N symbol in video games.
- Continuous Traps, which have an infinity symbol.
- Counter Traps, which have a curved arrow symbol.
- Equip Traps, Yu-Gi-Oh! R manga only.
- Field Traps, Yu-Gi-Oh! R manga only.