|Japanese (base text)||
A Synchro Summon (
How to Synchro Summon
During their Main Phase, the turn player can Synchro Summon a Synchro Monster from their Extra Deck by sending two or more face-up monsters from their field to the Graveyard as Synchro Materials (including at least 1 Tuner monster) whose combined Levels exactly equal its Level, that are listed on it as materials. After that, the player Summons the Synchro Monster from the Extra Deck in an unoccupied Main Monster Zone that a Link Monster points to or an Extra Monster Zone in face-up Attack or Defense Position.
Even if all appropriate Monster Zones are occupied, a Synchro Monster can still be Synchro Summoned as long as at least one of the Synchro Materials used is in one of these Zones, so that there is an available Zone when the Synchro Monster is Summoned.
- The player can Synchro Summon while "Macro Cosmos" is active. In this case, the Synchro Material Monsters are banished.
- Token Monsters and Trap Monsters can be used as Synchro Material Monsters.
- Provided the Synchro Monster is not a Nomi monster, once it is properly Synchro Summoned, it can be later Special Summoned with "Call of the Haunted", "Soul Charge", etc. If the Synchro Monster is sent to the Graveyard without being Summoned, such as by the effect of "Gale Dogra" or "Zaborg the Mega Monarch", then it cannot be Special Summoned.
- Face-down monsters cannot be used to perform a Synchro Summon.
- A Synchro Summon can be negated with "Black Horn of Heaven", "Horn of Heaven", "Thunder King Rai-Oh", "Solemn Warning", etc.
- In this case, the Synchro Material Monsters are still sent to the Graveyard. The Synchro Monster is not considered properly Summoned, so it cannot be revived with "Call of the Haunted" or other similar effects. In addition, effects like "Odin, Father of the Aesir"'s do not activate, since they have not yet reached the field nor have been properly Summoned.
- If the Synchro Monster requires Synchro Material Monsters of a specific Attribute (like "Hydro Genex"), the player can use a monster with multiple Attributes (like "Elemental Mistress Doriado") as a Synchro Material Monster.
- It is allowed to Synchro Summon more than once per turn if the player has the appropriate monsters out on the field to perform it.
Apart from the basic method of performing a Synchro Summon outlined above, certain cards allow the controller to perform a Synchro Summon outside of its parameters.
- Some monsters, including the "Yang Zing" non-Tuner monsters, "Formula Synchron", and "T.G. Wonder Magician", allow their controller to Synchro Summon during the opponent's Main Phase or Battle Phase.
- "Synchro Material" allows the player to use their opponent's monsters as Synchro Material.
- "T.G. Cyber Magician" "Tatsunoko", "Eccentric Boy", "Mecha Phantom Beast Blue Impala", "Mara of the Nordic Alfar", and "Malefic Parallel Gear" allow the controller to use non-Tuner monsters from their hand as Synchro Materials.
Synchro Substitute Monsters
- See main article Synchro Substitute Monsters.
In the anime
While Synchro Summoning, the Tuner monster is said to be tuned with the other monsters.
Many characters in the Japanese anime have chants, often unique to them and each of their Synchro Monsters, which they recite while Synchro Summoning. Before the chants, the Duelist announces the monsters being used, starting with the Levels and names of all non-Tuner monsters, from the lowest to the highest Level, then the Level and name of the Tuner monster. In the English dub, this is reversed; the Tuner monster's name is said first and the non-Tuner monsters' names are said last.
During a Synchro Summon, the Tuner monster transforms into a number of green rings which corresponds to its Level. These rings then "scan" the non-tuner monsters, which first change into a glowing yellow "outline" of themselves before turning into a number of stars which correspond to their Levels. A beam of light then envelops the stars, passing through the rings, and the Synchro Monster appears thereafter. In some special versions of Synchro Summons, the rings are a different color or are completely redesigned, for example, when "Shooting Quasar Dragon" is Limit Over Accel Synchro Summoned, the rings are gold instead of green, and when "Red Nova Dragon" is Synchro Summoned, the Tuner monsters transform into rings of fire, which form a sphere around the non-Tuner monster. Additionally, when "Malefic Paradox Dragon" is Synchro Summoned, the Synchro Rings are black instead of green, and the non-Tuner monsters become a purple outline, and a cyclone of darkness envelops the stars instead of a beam of light. Also, the characters may have personalized backgrounds and other graphics for Synchro Summons (most noticeably Vizor).
Starting with episode 65 and the second season, when the non-Tuner(s) turn into stars, the arithmetic addition of the total Levels involved in the Synchro Summon is briefly shown on the bottom of the screen.
Synchro Summoning appears to be more advanced than it was in Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's as can be seen by the Synchro Rings are surrounded by multiple small rotating rectangles, which gives them a more futuristic look, implying that in the future the actual Synchro Summoning method has evolved. Like in 5D's, when Jack Atlas performs a Double Tuning, the two Tuners become rings of fire rather than Synchro rings.
A Synchro Summon performed using monsters that have been Pendulum Summoned is referred to as a "Pendulum-Synchro".
- Dark Synchro Summon
- Accel Synchro Summon
- Delta Accel Synchro Summon
- Limit Over Accel Synchro Summon
- Double Tuning
- ↑ Konami FAQ: [Basic Rules] Can you Synchro Summon a monster when its Synchro Material Monsters would be banished?
- ↑ Konami FAQ: Can "Avatar of Apophis", a Monster Token, etc. be used as a Synchro Material Monster?
- ↑ Konami FAQ: [Basic Rules] Can you Special Summon a Synchro Monster with "Premature Burial" or "D.D.R. - Different Dimension Reincarnation"?
- ↑ Konami FAQ: [Basic Rules] Can you negate a Synchro Summon with a card effect?
- ↑ Konami FAQ: [Basic Rules] When Synchro Summoning "Hydro Genex", can you use a monster with multiple Attributes as a Synchro Material Monster?