|Japanese (kanji and furigana)||
In the game, there are a number of different types of Summons. So far, these are the only actions that considered a Summon:
- Normal Summon
- Flip Summon
- Special Summon
Tribute Summon is a form of Normal Summon, and Fusion, Ritual, Synchro, Xyz and Pendulum Summons are forms of Special Summon.
There are also other methods of Summoning monsters, but they are not official methods, and their names come from anime, manga and video games, or from vernacular used by players, but these unofficial terms do not have separate Summoning rules:
- Gemini Summon: Normal Summons a face-up Gemini monster on the field to have it get its effect.
- Contact Fusion: Special Summons a Fusion Monster using its Fusion Material Monsters, and without using Fusion Summoning cards like "Polymerization".
- Transformation Summon: Special Summons a Fusion Monster using its specific card, and without using any Fusion Material Monsters.
- Accel Synchro Summon: Synchro Summons a Synchro Monster using a Tuner Synchro Monster and non-Tuner Synchro Monster.
- Delta Accel Synchro Summon: Synchro Summons a Synchro Monster using a Tuner Synchro Monster and 2 non-Tuner Synchro Monsters.
- Limit Over Accel Synchro Summon: Synchro Summons a Synchro Monster using a Tuner Synchro Monster and 2 or more non-Tuner Synchro Monsters.
- Double Tuning: Synchro Summons a Synchro Monster using 2 Tuner monsters.
- Dark Synchro Summon: Synchro Summons a Dark Synchro Monster by subtracting the Level of a Dark Tuner monster from the Level of 1 non-Tuner monster (So far, this only present in video games and anime).
- Xyz Evolution: Special Summons an Xyz Monster by overlaying on top of an Xyz Monster, and the Xyz Materials used by their former Xyz Monster now attach to the new Xyz Monster.
Flip and Special Summons (excluding Pendulum Summons) may be conducted as many times as you would like per turn, unlike Normal Summons, which can only performed once per turn.