A staple is a card that is considered so splashable that it is included in almost any Deck the owner chooses to construct. Many of these cards are reprinted several times, including Starter Decks and Structure Decks.
Opinions on what exactly constitutes a staple card often comes down to the individual, and today's current strategies and Deck-types have limited most staples to being mostly Spell/Trap Cards, such as "Dark Hole".
Most of these cards are (or were) included in Limited lists, mostly because of their usefulness. Many cards on the Forbidden list were once staples (e.g. "Pot of Greed", "Change of Heart", "Harpie's Feather Duster").
A list of cards considered to be staples by many players, including:
- “Monster Reborn” - a free special summon from either player’s GY at absolutely no cost.
- “Raigeki” - a free board wipe of your opponent’s monsters at absolutely no cost.
- “Mystical Space Typhoon” - A Quick-Play Spell Card that destroys 1 Spell or Trap Card on the field at no cost
- “Pot of Desires” - similar to the original “Pot of Greed” in that it lets you draw 2 cards, at the cost of banishing the top 10 cards of your Deck face down.
- Ghost Girl (series) - any of the cards from the series can be splashed into a deck as they are all very disruptive hand traps that can slow down the opponent.