|Spell & Trap Zone|
|Japanese (base text)||
Mahō & Torappu Zōn
Magic & Trap Zone
Spell & Trap Zone
Spell & Trap Zones (
If all Spell & Trap Zones are occupied or rendered unusable, new Spell/Trap Cards (other than Field Spell Cards and Pendulum Monsters) cannot be activated or Set, as there must be a usable vacant Spell & Trap Zone to place the card in.
Cards cannot be moved between Spell & Trap Zones.
A Trap Monster requires both a Spell & Trap Zone and a Monster Zone, due to the fact that it is simultaneously treated as both a Trap Card and a Monster Card. However, it is placed in the Monster Zone, and despite the Spell & Trap Zone being unusable it is not considered occupied (for the purposes of cards such as "Straight Flush" and "D/D/D Dragonbane King Beowulf"). If a Trap Monster is flipped face-down (such as due to the effect of "Book of Moon" or "Cyber Shadow Gardna") or has its Trap effect negated (such as due to the effect of "Jinzo"), it will return to that associated Spell & Trap Zone as a Trap Card.
On game mats, they are located in the lower-middle and are often colored cyan.
- ↑ "Traditional Chinese version of Master Rule 2 version 1.0". Konami. http://www.yugioh-card.com/hk/howto/beginner.php?lang=cn-t.
- ↑ "Master Rule 3 Overview". Konami. http://www.yugioh-card.com/hk/howto/master_rule_3.php?lang=cn-t.
- ↑ Miller, Scott (July 11, 2012). "Trap Monsters: How Do They Work?". Konami. https://yugiohblog.konami.com/articles/?p=4062. Retrieved December 17, 2015.
- ↑ "Individual Card Rulings [S-T]". UDE. Straight Flush. Archived from the original on 17 February 2009. http://web.archive.org/20090226221425/http://entertainment.upperdeck.com/yugioh/en/gameplay/faqs/cardfaqs/default.aspx?first=S&last=T. Retrieved 17 December 2015.
- ↑ "Individual Card Rulings [D-E]". UDE. Embodiment of Apophis. Archived from the original on 18 February 2009. http://web.archive.org/web/20090218205242/http://entertainment.upperdeck.com/yugioh/en/gameplay/faqs/cardfaqs/default.aspx?first=D&last=E. Retrieved 26 January 2016.