|Spell & Trap Zone|
|Japanese (base text)||
Mahō & Torappu Zōn
Magic & Trap Zone
Spell & Trap Zone
Spell & Trap Zones (
If all Spell & Trap Zones are occupied or rendered unusable, new Spell/Trap Cards (other than Field Spell Cards) cannot be activated or Set, as there must be a usable vacant Spell & Trap Zone to place the card in (before the activation). Cards cannot be moved between Spell & Trap Zones.
A Trap Monster requires both a Spell & Trap Zone and a Monster Zone, due to the fact that it is simultaneously treated as both a Trap Card and a Monster Card. However, it is placed in the Monster Zone, and despite the Spell & Trap Zone being unusable it is not considered occupied (for the purposes of cards such as "Straight Flush" and "D/D/D Dragonbane King Beowulf"). If a Trap Monster is flipped face-down (such as due to the effect of "Book of Moon" or "Cyber Shadow Gardna") or has its Trap effect negated (such as due to the effect of "Jinzo"), it will return to that associated Spell & Trap Zone as a Trap Card.
On game mats, they are located in the lower-middle and are often colored cyan. Due to their location, they are also unofficially referred to as "backrow". Unofficially, the "&" is usually replaced with "/" or "and"; or the entire wording is abbreviated as "S/T".
Master Rule 3
In the TCG and previously in the OCG (under Master Rule 3), the Pendulum Zones are distinct Zones in which only Pendulum Monsters can be placed. These Zones are not Spell & Trap Zones, and Pendulum Monsters cannot be played in Spell & Trap Zones. And vice-versa, in which Normal Spell/Trap cards cannot be played on those Zones.
Master Rule 4
In the OCG, as per Master Rule 4, the leftmost and rightmost Spell & Trap Zones are also used as Pendulum Zones. Each of these Spell & Trap Zones are only treated as Pendulum Zones if and only if there is a Pendulum Monster in that Zone (unless the Pendulum Monster is in that Zone as an Equip Spell Card). If there is a Pendulum Monster in the Zone, it is treated as both a Spell & Trap Zone and a Pendulum Zone. If one of these Spell & Trap Zones has a Pendulum Monster in it while the other does not, only the Zone with a Pendulum Monster in it is treated as a Pendulum Zone.
- ↑ "Traditional Chinese version of Master Rule 2 version 1.0". Konami. http://www.yugioh-card.com/hk/howto/beginner.php?lang=cn-t.
- ↑ "Master Rule 3 Overview". Konami. http://www.yugioh-card.com/hk/howto/master_rule_3.php?lang=cn-t.
- ↑ Miller, Scott (July 11, 2012). "Trap Monsters: How Do They Work?". Konami. https://yugiohblog.konami.com/articles/?p=4062. Retrieved December 17, 2015.
- ↑ "Individual Card Rulings [S-T]". UDE. Straight Flush. Archived from the original on 17 February 2009. http://web.archive.org/20090226221425/http://entertainment.upperdeck.com/yugioh/en/gameplay/faqs/cardfaqs/default.aspx?first=S&last=T. Retrieved 17 December 2015.
- ↑ "Individual Card Rulings [D-E]". UDE. Embodiment of Apophis. Archived from the original on 18 February 2009. http://web.archive.org/web/20090218205242/http://entertainment.upperdeck.com/yugioh/en/gameplay/faqs/cardfaqs/default.aspx?first=D&last=E. Retrieved 26 January 2016.