|Spell & Trap Zone|
|Japanese (base text)||
Mahō & Torappu Zōn
Magic & Trap Zone
Spell & Trap Zone
Spell & Trap Zones (
If all Spell & Trap Zones are occupied or rendered unusable, new Spell/Trap Cards (other than Field Spell Cards and Pendulum Monsters) cannot be activated or Set, as there must be a usable vacant Spell & Trap Zone to place the card in.
Cards cannot be moved between Spell & Trap Zones.
A Trap Monster requires both a Spell & Trap Zone and a Monster Zone, due to the fact that it is simultaneously treated as both a Trap Card and a Monster Card. However, it is placed in the Monster Zone, and despite the Spell & Trap Zone being unusable it is not considered occupied (for the purposes of cards such as "Straight Flush" and "D/D/D Dragonbane King Beowulf"). If a Trap Monster is flipped face-down (such as due to the effect of "Book of Moon" or "Cyber Shadow Gardna") or has its Trap effect negated (such as due to the effect of "Jinzo"), it will return to that associated Spell & Trap Zone as a Trap Card.
On game mats, they are located in the lower-middle and are often colored cyan. For the positioning reason, they are also unofficially called "Back Row". Usually abbreviated as "S/T", or written as "Spell/Trap Zone".
As Per the Master Rule 4, The Pendulum Zones share space with each player's Leftmost and Rightmost Spell & Trap Zone, with the leftftmost being Blue Scale and the rightmost being the Red Scale. The said Spell & Trap Zone will be used as Spell & Trap Zone at all time OR the player may activate a Pendulum Monster in one of those two open Spell & Trap Zones, in which case that zone will became Pendulum Zone, and not Spell & Trap Zone.
- ↑ "Traditional Chinese version of Master Rule 2 version 1.0". Konami. http://www.yugioh-card.com/hk/howto/beginner.php?lang=cn-t.
- ↑ "Master Rule 3 Overview". Konami. http://www.yugioh-card.com/hk/howto/master_rule_3.php?lang=cn-t.
- ↑ Miller, Scott (July 11, 2012). "Trap Monsters: How Do They Work?". Konami. https://yugiohblog.konami.com/articles/?p=4062. Retrieved December 17, 2015.
- ↑ "Individual Card Rulings [S-T]". UDE. Straight Flush. Archived from the original on 17 February 2009. http://web.archive.org/20090226221425/http://entertainment.upperdeck.com/yugioh/en/gameplay/faqs/cardfaqs/default.aspx?first=S&last=T. Retrieved 17 December 2015.
- ↑ "Individual Card Rulings [D-E]". UDE. Embodiment of Apophis. Archived from the original on 18 February 2009. http://web.archive.org/web/20090218205242/http://entertainment.upperdeck.com/yugioh/en/gameplay/faqs/cardfaqs/default.aspx?first=D&last=E. Retrieved 26 January 2016.