The "Sky Striker" cards are made to look like suits of powered armor (in the case of the "Sky Striker Ace" Link Monsters), or various gadgets equipped to/built-in abilities of said armor, as with the Normal and Quick-Play Spells within the archetype.
Most of the cards of the archetype also features some sort of serial numbers carved within them. The "Sky Striker Ace" armor's serial number starts with "X", while the other equipment's serial number (most visible in "Sky Striker Mecha" cards) starts with "S".
The Japanese name of this archetype is taken from the Japanese name of "Sky Striker Ace" monsters, which is a pun. It literally means "Flash Katana Lady", but it is based on the homophonous word for "fighter aircraft", 戦闘機 sentōki. Apart from the "Sky Striker Aces", many members also have their names inspired by a Japanese word that has ki as part of its pronunciation.
|English name group||Pun formation|
|Sky Striker|| 戦闘 (sentō, "fighting") → |
|Sky Striker Ace|| 戦闘機 (sentōki, "fighter aircraft") → |
|Sky Striker Mecha|| 戦闘機 (sentōki, "fighter aircraft") → |
|Sky Striker Mecharmory|| |
|Sky Striker Mobilize|| |
All Sky Striker Spells, with the exception of the Continuous Multirole and Field Area Zero, cannot be activated while you control a Monster in the Main Monster Zones and gain extra effects while you have 3 or more Spell cards in your GY. See the following table:
|Spell||Spell Type||Effect||3+ Bonus Effect|
|Sky Striker Maneuver - Afterburners!||Normal||Target and destroy a face-up monster.||Can destroy a Spell/Trap.|
|Sky Striker Maneuver - Jamming Waves!||Normal||Target and destroy a Set Spell/Trap.||Can destroy a monster.|
|Sky Striker Maneuver - Vector Blast||Normal||Send top 2 cards of both Decks to GY.||Shuffle opponent's Extra Monster Zone Monsters into the Deck.|
|Sky Striker Mecha - Eagle Booster||Quick-Play||Target monster is unaffected by other effects this turn.||It also cannot be destroyed by battle.|
|Sky Striker Mecha - Hornet Drones||Quick-Play||Summon Sky Striker Ace Token.||Token's ATK/DEF are 1500 instead of 0.|
|Sky Striker Mecha - Shark Cannon||Quick-Play||Target and banish monster from opponent's GY.||Can be Summoned to your field instead of banishing, but prevents it attacking.|
|Sky Striker Mecha - Widow Anchor||Quick-Play||Negate effects of targeted Effect Monster.||Can take control of target until End Phase.|
|Sky Striker Mecharmory - Hercules Base||Equip||Equipped monster cannot attack directly, but can attack twice. If sent to GY: Shuffle 3 other different Sky Striker cards from GY into the Deck.||Can draw 1 card when equipped monster destroys monster by battle.|
|Sky Striker Mobilize - Engage!||Normal||Add any other Sky Striker card from Deck to hand.||Can draw 1 card.|
As you can see, these effects are very powerful, allowing the Sky Striker player to control the board with ease and dispatch any threat on demand. The search-and-draw power of Engage gives them the ability to repeatedly regain advantage over an opponent and grab any effect needed on demand, responding rapidly to changing Duels in a way few other Decks can match. In addition, the Sky Striker Ace Extra Deck monsters can search/recover more Sky Striker cards as needed, and typically give the player other bonuses for playing many Spells. They are designed to sit in the Extra Monster Zone without impeding the effects of the Spells, meaning the only off-archetype monsters the Deck plays are usually just handtraps.
The other two Spells are designed to add further consistency and recovery. The Field Spell Area Zero can excavate 3 cards from your Deck and add any Sky Striker card there to your hand by sending a card you control to the GY, useful for clearing the Main Monster Zones or loading the GY with unneeded Spells. Mecha Modules - Mulitrole can send a card you control to the GY to prevent your opponent responding to your Sky Striker Spell Cards/effects for the rest of the turn, which, in addition to the uses mentioned above can send Area Zero to the GY, triggering its effect to Special Summon Raye from the Deck, and it can Set Sky Striker Spells from the GY to the field in the End Phase up to the number of Sky Striker Spells activated this turn at the cost of banishing them when they leave the field.For more information on the monsters, see Sky Striker Ace.
The "Sky Striker" Deck utilizes a copious count of Spells. which is this archetype's core tenet. Equally as decisive for this Deck's success is the maintenance of Spell resources and Special Summoning the "Sky Striker Ace" Link Monsters. With all this in mind, there's boundless card counters that can put all these Deck directives in check:
- Cards like "Naturia Rosewhip", "Naturia Beast", "Armed Ninja", "Spell Canceller", "De-Spell", "Secret Village of the Spellcasters", "Twin Twisters", "Anti-Spell Fragrance", "Magic Jammer", "Spell Shield Type-8", "Dark Bribe" and "Imperial Order" can slow down or completely stop the activation/effects of "Sky Striker" Spells and other support. Cards that can banish activated Spells instead of sending them to the GY can interdict the stronger effects of the "Sky Striker" Spells.
- Furthermore, while "Dark Deal", "Terrible Deal" and "Curse of Darkness" don't stop "Sky Striker" Spell activations, they all punish the player directly with resource loss and LP damage. Note however, that unless discarded Spells and monsters are banished, they can either be recovered more easily from the GY or the Spell count can accumulate for the stronger effects of "Sky Striker" Spells.
- "Spell Vanishing", while having a hefty cost, can not only negate a Spell but also send all other copies of it to the GY. "Cursed Seal of the Forbidden Spell" can permanently lock a specific Spell from being used for that Duel. Both these cards can be particularly lethal to "Engage!", as this Spell is this Deck's chief searcher.
- "Droll & Lock Bird", "Ash Blossom & Joyous Spring" "Mistaken Arrest", and "Mistake" can stop "Engage!" "ROTA" and "Shizuku" from tutoring resources. Conversely, "Shared Ride" will cause your opponent to gain resources themselves when you do via the said three cards. By a similar token, "Maxx "C"" (OCG only) can also reward the opponent with hand resources via the Summoning of the "Sky Striker" Link Monsters and Tokens, such as a "Sky Striker Ace Token" Summoned through "Hornet Drones".
- "Ghost Reaper & Winter Cherries" can oust "Kagari", this Deck's main attacking force.
- "Ghost Belle & Haunted Mansion" can stop "Raye"'s GY recursion effect.
- Cards like "Recall" and "Divine Wrath" can stop "Raye"'s Tributing Quick Effect.
- "Spell Absorption" can balloon your LP against the "Sky Striker" player.
Finally, without Spells, the "Sky Striker" monsters themselves start with average ATK, and with just five monsters composing the archetype thus far (four being within the Extra Deck) along with many ways to keep the ATK-altering effects of "Kagari" and Shizuku" in check (e.g. cards that banish spent Spells like "Macro Cosmos"), the monsters have issues getting over big monsters. Due to this and with only "Raye" as the only Main Deck monster thus far, "Sky Striker" Decks (namely pure-builds) need to run non-"Sky Striker" monsters to in-part have access to other Extra Deck opportunities (such as generic Rank 4 Xyz Monsters.) Further, "Sky Striker" monsters under a Spell famine are easily picked off via general card effect removal and can also be Tributed or used as Extra Deck material by your opponent.
- This deck is the antithesis of the "Fur Hire" archetype, in many ways:
- This deck's main strategy requires having no monsters in Main Monster Zones to operate, while "Fur Hire" aims to fill their Main Monster Zones instead.
- This deck's originally composed of only 3 monsters, and 10 Spells, while "Fur Hire" has 10 monsters and 3 Spell/Traps in total. (Meanwhile some more "Sky Striker" Link monsters were released.)
- This deck has only 1 Main Deck monster, "Fur Hire" has only 1 Extra Deck Monster.
- Both are released in Dark Saviors.
- This relationship mirrors the relationship between the "Magical Musket" and "The Weather" archetype, which were released in Spirit Warriors.
Summoners (Normal Spell Cards)
|Moonface the Silver
|Leon the Lead
|Salamandra the Steel
|Ouroboros the Bronze
|Ekenas the Mercury
|Aretos the Tin
Tin Spell Circle
|Aliens||Overlord / Mother / Psychic||Shocktrooper / Infiltrator / Warrior||Mars / Telepath||Ammonite / Dog / Grey / Kid||Hunter / Hypno||Skull|
|Altergeists||Primebanshee / Kidolga / Multifaker||Kunquery||Hextia||Marionetter||Meluseek||Silquitous / Pixiel|
|Aroma||None Yet||Cananga||Bergamot||Jasmine / Angelica / Rosemary||Rosemary||Jar|
|Attribute Boosters (500 ATK▲/400 DEF▼)
(500 ATK▲/500 DEF▲)
(500 ATK▲/400 DEF▼)
(400 ATK▲/200 DEF▼)
Wee Witch's Apprentice
Mystic Plasma Zone
Sword of Dark Destruction
Rising Air Current
|Attribute Reptiles||Umbral Soul||Raging Earth||Firestorm Prominence||Radiant Spirit||Silent Abyss||Destruction Cyclone|
|Attribute Summoners||Mystic Tomato||Giant Rat||UFO Turtle||Shining Angel||Mother Grizzly||Flying Kamakiri #1|
|B.E.S.||Big Core||Covered Core||Big Core MK-2||Assault Core / Big Core MK-3||Crystal Core||Tetran|
Triple/Quadruple Contact Fusions
|Code / Decode
Black Dragon Ninja
|Senior Silver Ninja
Red Dragon Ninja
|White Ninja / Upstart Golden Ninja
White Dragon Ninja / None Yet
Blue Dragon Ninja
Yellow Dragon Ninja
|Cubic||Vijam / Crimson Nova / Crimson Nova Trinity||Dark Garnex||Blade Garoodia||Duza / Buster Gundil / Indiora Doom Volt||None Yet||Geira Guile|
|Dice Roll Archfiends||Terrorking||Vilepawn||Infernalqueen||Desrook||Darkbishop||Shadowknight|
|The Trojan Horse
|Kaiser Sea Horse
|Star||Yellow||Red||House / White||Blue||Green|
|Elemental HERO Fusion Monsters
(1 "HERO" + 1 matching Attribute)
|Escuridao||Gaia||Nova Master||The Shining||Absolute Zero||Great Tornado|
Lapauila / Lapauila Mana
|Ghost Girls||Ghost Reaper & Winter Cherries||Ghost Belle & Haunted Mansion||Ash Blossom & Joyous Spring||Ghost Ogre & Snow Rabbit||None Yet||None Yet|
(Equip Spell Cards)
|Baou / Dreadscythe
Wicked-Breaking Flamberge / Reaper Scythe
Shooting Star Bow
Twin Swords of Flashing Light
Rod of Silence
|Elma / Eatos
Buttefly Dagger / Celestial Sword
|Invoked||Caliga||Magellanica||Purgatrio||Mechaba / Elysium||Cocytus||Raidjin|
|Kaiju||Radian||Kumongous||Dogoran||Jizukiru / Mecha-Dogoran / Thunder King||Gameciel||Gadarla|
|Legendary Planets||Jupiter / Saturn / Pluto / Sun||Terra Firma||Mars||Venus / Uranus||Mercury / Neptune||None Yet|
Level 6 Fusion Monsters
Level 8 Fusion Monsters
Related "Monarch" Spell/Trap Cards
|Caius / Erebus
Caius the Mega
Tenacity / The First
Lucius / Eidos
Granmarg the Mega
Thestalos the Mega
|Zaborg / Ehther
Zaborg the Mega
Strike / The Prime
Mithra / Edea
Mobius the Mega
Raiza the Mega
|Musical Djinns||Maestroke||Temtempo||None Yet||Melomelody||Humhumming||Muzurhythm|
|Mythyrian Numbers||Djinn Buster||Lion Heart / Ronin Raccoon Sandayu||None Yet||Sky Pegasus / Dragluon||Abyss Splash / Crystalzero||None Yet|
Umbral Horror Masquerade
Giant Red Hand
|Battlin' Boxer Star Cestus
Battlin' Boxer Comet Cestus
|Star Seraph Sentry / Masquerade / Galaxy-Eyes Tachyon Dragon
Archfiend Seraph / Neo Galaxy-Eyes Tachyon Dragon
|Silent Honor ARK / Ragnazero
Silent Honor DARK / Ragnafinity
|Odd-Eyes Dragons||Odd-Eyes / Pendulum / Rebellion / Raging / Phantom / Persona / Mirage / Supreme King / Venom / Wing / Performapal Metal Claw / Arc Pendulum / Advance||Gravity||Meteorburst||Saber / Lancer / Revolution||Absolute||Vortex|
|Pendulum Magicians||Stargazer / Timegazer / Xiangke / Timebreaker / Acrobatic / Dragoncaller / Harmonizing / Double Iris / Black Fang / Purple Poison||Dragonpulse||Nobledragon||Xiangsheng / Wisdom-Eye / Dharma-Eye / Performapal Five-Rainbow||Dragonpit||Oafdragon / White Wing|
|Resonators||Dark / Synkron||Clock||Flare / Red / Double / Net||Barrier / Chain / Mirror||Force||Creation|
(1 "Shaddoll" + 1 matching Attribute)
|Signer Dragons||Red Archfiend / Black-Winged||Life Stream||Black Rose||Ancient Fairy||None Yet||Stardust|
Legendary Six Samurai
Secret Six Samurai
|Sky Striker Ace||Raye||Kaina||Kagari||None Yet||Shizuku||Hayate|
|Nitro / Jet
Nitro / Jet
(Continuous Spell/Trap Cards)
|Thunder / Rainbow
|True Draco and True King||All Calamities||Lithosazim / Dreiath III||Agnimazud / Ignis Heat||Metaltron XII / Master Peace / King Master Peace||Bahrstos / Dinomight Knight||Mariamne / Majesty Maiden|
|World Legacy - "World Chalice"
|Beckoned by the World Chalice
Ningirsu the World Chalice Warrior
|Chosen by the World Chalice
Auram the World Chalice Blademaster
|Lee the World Chalice Fairy
|Crowned by the World Chalice
Ib the World Chalice Priestess
|World Chalice Guardragon
Imduk the World Chalice Dragon
|Jiaotu / Taotie
|Bi'an / Zefraxi / Zefraniu||Suanni||Chiwen
Baxia / Chaofeng / Denglong