|Japanese (base text)||
Sending cards to the Graveyard
Cards can be sent to the Graveyard in many ways:
- A Normal, Quick-Play or Ritual Spell Card, or a Normal or Counter Trap Card will be sent to the Graveyard after the whole Chain in which it was activated in resolves if it is still on the field, unless it has an effect that keeps it on the field (such as "Swords of Revealing Light").
- A Spell or Trap Card will be sent to the Graveyard at the end of the Chain it was activated in if its activation was negated, if it has not already been moved somewhere.
- A monster will be sent to the Graveyard after its Summon is negated, if it has not already been moved somewhere.
- A temporarily banished monster that would return to the field will be sent to the Graveyard if there is no free Monster Card Zone for it or if it is a Trap Monster.
- An excavated card that cannot be moved to the proper location. (For example, cards that would be added to the hand or Special Summoned by "Cyber Jar" while "Deck Lockdown" is active.)
- Fusion Material Monsters are sent to the Graveyard when performing a Fusion Summon by the effect of the card that performed the Fusion Summon.
- Synchro Material Monsters are sent to the Graveyard when performing a Synchro Summon.
- As part of a Summoning condition (that uses the term "send"), like "Elemental HERO Neo Bubbleman".
- As a cost (that uses the term "send"), like "Elemental HERO Prisma" or "Gravekeeper's Servant".
- As the result of an effect (that uses the term "send"), like "Codarus".
- As a result of:
Ways of sending
Tribute, destroy, discard and detach are different ways of sending cards to Graveyard.
Cards sent from the hand to the Graveyard are not necessarily discarded. For example, "The Fabled Cerburrel's" effect activates when it is discarded to the Graveyard, so it will activate if discarded by "Card Destruction" but not when sent to the Graveyard by "Hand Destruction".
Likewise, cards sent from the field to the Graveyard are not necessarily destroyed. For example, "Dark End Dragon's" effect sends monsters to the Graveyard, so it cannot be negated by "Stardust Dragon", "My Body as a Shield" or "Destruction Jammer". However, doing so will activate the effects of "Sangan" and "Dandylion", as they activate when sent to the Graveyard, not when destroyed.
Moving cards to the Graveyard without sending
Returning a banished card to the Graveyard is not considered to be "sending a card to the Graveyard". Thus, even if a card like "Macro Cosmos" is active, "Miracle Dig" and "Fortune's Future" can be used to return cards to the Graveyard; the returned cards will not be banished.