Send refers to the act of moving a card from field, hand, Main Deck or Extra Deck to the Graveyard, moving a monster whose Summon has been negated to the Graveyard, or detaching an Xyz Material from an Xyz Monster to the Graveyard.
Send is only used when the destination is the Graveyard.
Sending cards to the Graveyard
Cards can be sent to the Graveyard in many ways:
- A Normal, Quick-Play or Ritual Spell Card, or a Normal or Counter Trap Card will be sent to the Graveyard after the whole Chain in which it was activated in resolves if it is still on the field, unless it has an effect that keeps it on the field (such as "Swords of Revealing Light").
- A Spell or Trap Card will be sent to the Graveyard at the end of the Chain it was activated in if its activation was negated if it is still on the field.
- A monster will be sent to the Graveyard when its Summon is negated if it has not already been moved somewhere.
- Synchro Material Monsters are sent to the Graveyard when performing a Synchro Summon.
- As part of a Summoning condition (that uses the term "send"), like "Elemental HERO Neo Bubbleman".
- As a cost (that uses the term "send"), like "Elemental HERO Prisma" or "Gravekeeper's Servant".
- As the result of an effect (that uses the term "send"), like "Codarus" or "Polymerization".
- As a result of:
What sending is not
However, note that cards sent from your hand to the Graveyard are not automatically classed as discarded or destroyed.
Proper knowledge of the difference between send, Tribute, destroy, discard and detach could mean the difference between a win and a loss in playing the game. For example, "The Fabled Cerburrel" activates its effect when discarded to the Graveyard by "Card Destruction" but not when sent to the Graveyard by "Hand Destruction".
Another example is the effect of "Dark End Dragon". Because its effect sends monster to the Graveyard, it cannot be Chained to by the effects of "Stardust Dragon", "My Body as a Shield", or "Destruction Jammer" because it does not destroy the monster.
This means that the effects of "Sangan" and "Dandylion" activate when they are Tributed, as their card effects state "When this card is sent from the field to the Graveyard..."; therefore, they do not have to be destroyed, unlike cards such as "Giant Rat" and "Shining Angel".
Monsters that would normally be sent to the Graveyard are banished instead if "Dimensional Fissure" is active; all cards that would normally be sent to the Graveyard are banished instead if "Banisher of the Radiance" or "Banisher of the Light" is face up on the field, or if "Macro Cosmos" is active.
Moving cards to the Graveyard without sending
Returning a banished card to the Graveyard is not considered to be sending a card to the Graveyard. Thus, even if a card like "Macro Cosmos" is active, "Miracle Dig" and "Fortune's Future" can be used to return cards to the Graveyard; the returned cards will not be banished.