|Mecha Phantom Beast|
"Mecha Phantom Beast Hamstrat" and "Mecha Phantom Beast Megaraptor"
"Mecha Phantom Beast" (
The archetype's cards are based on various aircraft and various slang and terms used by pilots. The names of the Level 4 and lower monsters are based on real animals, while the names of the Level/Rank 7 monsters are based on mythical creatures.
|Aerial Recharge||Aerial refueling|
|Sonic Boom||Sonic boom|
|Do a Barrel Roll||Barrel roll|
All "Mecha Phantom Beast" non-Extra-Deck monsters (excluding their Tuners and "Mecha Phantom Beast Kalgriffin") has the ability to gain the Levels of all "Mecha Phantom Beast Tokens" that the controller has, while every monster in the Archetype, excluding "Mecha Phantom Beast Concoruda", cannot be destroyed so long as a Token is on the field. In addition, every monster is capable of generating the Deck's signature Tokens when certain conditions are fulfilled. Due to the "Tannhauser Gate"-type first effect, the Archetype can bring out a variety of Xyz Monsters, in particular Ranks 3, 4, 6, 7, 9 and 10, making them one of the most flexible archetypes in the game, in terms of Xyz Summoning (second only to Gagaga archetype), allowing them to Summon normally difficult Xyz Monsters such as "Number 92: Heart-eartH Dragon" with relative ease. As such, the Deck's strategy is a mixture of swarm and Xyz Summoning.
"Mecha Phantom Beasts" are all Machine-Type, so it is possible to include cards such as "Gear Gigant X" and "Iron Call" into the Deck to open more options for it. Also, since all of them are WIND-Attribute, you can even unleash "Lightning Chidori", which can be devastating if used at the right time.
Mecha Phantom Beasts also have enormous potential in terms of Synchro Summoning with its own Tuners of choice. "Mecha Phantom Beast Warbluran" can become a Level 1 or 2 Tuner depending on the situation (the latter would cost a Mecha Phantom Beast monster, though), and "Mecha Phantom Beast Blue Impala" is a very powerful tool that lets you Synchro Summon using your in-hand Mecha Phantom Beasts monster as Synchro Material Monsters, resulting in efficient Synchro Summon (despite its limitations of Machine-type Synchro Summon only). In fact, Blue Impala is extremely potent in a recently-invented hybrid decks between Mecha Phantom Beasts and the Karakuris. The recently-released "Mecha Phantom Beast Olion" can help the deck considerably, since it can Special Summon Token upon being send to the Graveyard, and also grants an additional Normal Summon in addition to its status as a Tuner. It also makes Level 3 Mecha Phantom Beast monsters are even more valuable than before.
Some other useful cards that could work with this archetype:
- Token Generators: "Fiend's Sanctuary", "Scapegoat", "Dandylion", "Cloudian - Sheep Cloud", "Tanngrisnir of the Nordic Beasts", "Black Garden", "Fires of Doomsday", "Gorz the Emissary of Darkness", "Grinder Golem", "Phantom Skyblaster", etc. They work since "Mecha Phantom Beast" monsters can use ANY token for both their built-in protection and their individual effects (except the Level gaining effect).
- "Number 42: Starship Galaxy Tomahawk" is a Machine-Type WIND Attribute Monster, like the "Mecha Phantom Beast" monsters. It is Rank 7, and can be Summoned as an alternative to "Mecha Phantom Beast Dracossack". Besides, it can create tokens with its effect.
- You can also combo Number 42 with "Mecha Phantom Beast Concoruda" to keep the Tokens after the turn ends, and be able to damage your opponent with them next turn.
- "Cyber Summon Blaster"'s effect damage can quickly accumulate due to this deck's tendency of Special Summoning "Mecha Phantom Beast Tokens". "Scramble!! Scramble!!", "Mecha Phantom Beast Hamstrat" and "Mecha Phantom Beast Harrliard" can also trigger this card.
- "Limiter Removal" doubles the ATK of all "Mecha Phantom Beast" monster and will not destroy them with its effect (except the Tokens) as long as one Token was in play initially. Useful for OTK purposes.
- "Zerozerock", "Pixie Ring" (with two monsters) and "Token Stampede" prevent the opponent from destroying your tokens in battle, reinforcing the defensive effects of "Mecha Phantom Beast" monsters. Additionaly, "Token Stampede" ensures that your "Mecha Phantom Beast Tokens" can be used to attack.
- "The Seal of Orichalcos" can also be used, as it can also protect your token from attacks, but is usually isn't recommended due to it blocks any access to your Extra Deck.
- "Token Sundae" can be really useful as a powerful multi-removal card if you assemble enough "Mecha Phantom Beast Tokens". However, it can also renders you defenseless during that turn (unless you have more Token generating cards).
- Being a sub-archetype of "Phantom Beasts", a "Mecha Phantom Beast" Deck can make use of "Phantom Beast" support cards such as "Phantom Beast Cross-Wing" and "Phantom Beast Thunder-Pegasus".
- "Dark Simorgh" is a Level 7 Monster that prevents your opponent from setting any cards. You can Synchro Summon using "Genex Ally Birdman" and any Mecha Phantom Beast monster, then banish those monsters to Special Summon "Dark Simorgh" from your hand. You can also use "Blackwing - Gale the Whirlwind". "Dark Simorgh" can also be used with another Level 7 monster for Xyz Summoning "Mecha Phantom Beast Dracossack", use Dracossack's effect to detach "Dark Simorgh", then Special Summon "Dark Simorgh" from the Graveyard by his effect. Keep in mind that this card can deplete your hands quickly, though.
- "Creature Swap" and "Enemy Controller" can utilize tokens for gaining control over opponent's monster.
- "Machina Fortress" is a good Machine monster in many Machine-based decks and can be a good choice for this Archetype. Also this is a level 7 monster so you can use it for the Xyz summoning of "Mecha Phantom Beast Dracossack" or any other Rank 7 monster. You can generate a lot of pluses with "Mecha Phantom Beast Megaraptor"; as long as Megaraptor is on the field and you have a token to tribute every turn which can give enough Mecha Phantom Beast monsters in your hand to discard to Special Summon Fortress.
- "Karakuri" monsters can also be splashed easily into this deck, and due to "Mecha Phantom Beast Blue Impala"'s ability to Summon "Karakuri Shogun mdl 00 "Burei"" easily, this combination enables OTK options for this deck.
- "Horn of Heaven" can work well with this deck because you can tribute a token or a "Mecha Phantom Beast" monster to negate a summon. Also, if you have "Mecha Phantom Beast Harrliard" after you use "Horn of Heaven", you can Summon another Mecha Phantom Beast Token. "Horn of Heaven" can also work well with "Mecha Phantom Beast Olion", since you will lose no field advantage if you tribute it.
- "Skypalace Gangaridai", a Rank 10 Xyz Monster with 3400 ATK and slightly-stronger destruction effect akin to "Mecha Phantom Beast Dracossack", is suitable as "Dracossack"'s more budget-friendly replacement.
- "Mirage Fortress Enterprisenir", a new Rank 9 Xyz Monster that has the similar ability as "Trishula, Dragon of the Ice Barrier", outclasses "Number 9: Dyson Sphere" in many ways. This deck can summon it easily thanks to the effects of "Mecha Phantom Beast Hamstrat" and "Mecha Phantom Beast Aerosguin".
- "Magic Planter" is equal to "Sacred Sword of Seven Stars" in terms of draw power, but unlike "Sacred Sword of Seven Stars", it doesn't have a "once per turn" restriction. It can dispose any lingering "Fiendish Chains" and "Aerial Recharges", preventing them for clogging your Spell/Trap Zones and allowing you to draw 2 more cards in the process.
- "Ancient Forest" can provide both a strong offensive and defensive bonus to this deck; any monster which attacks will be destroyed at the end of the Battle Phase, but your "Mecha Phantom Beast" monsters will be exempt from this effect provided there is a token in play. This also prevents your opponent from destroying your tokens by battle without suffering losses. Combined with a card that prevents your tokens from being destroyed, your "Mecha Phantom Beast" monsters will be practically indestructible.
This type is considered the most balanced among the Mecha Phantom Beast builds, it works by constantly generating Mecha Phantom Beast Tokens and utilizing them through various Mecha Phantom Beasts monsters. "Scramble!! Scramble!!" is sometimes included, mostly used in conjunction with "Mecha Phantom Beast Coltwing" to generate more field presence, increasing the deck's speed significantly and quickly turn the tides, while "Mecha Phantom Beast Hamstrat" can provide the necessary setup for this card's activation. This deck can also utilizes various Synchro Monsters thanks to "Mecha Phantom Beast Warbluran" and "Mecha Phantom Beast Olion".
Due to their flexibility and constant token generation, many high-Leveled monsters can be splashed here, such as the Monarchs, "Light and Darkness Dragon", or even 3-Tributers such as "Obelisk The Tormentor" or "Destiny HERO - Plasma".
The hybrid between Mecha Phantom Beasts and Karakuris, it utilizes "Mecha Phantom Beast Blue Impala" along with "Karakuri Watchdog mdl 313 "Saizan"" as their main Tuner to unleash multiple "Karakuri Shogun mdl 00 "Burei"s" at once in order to perform OTK similar to the original Karakuri decks.
Once considered as the most competitive among Mecha Phantom Beast decks, this variant focusing on Summoning "Mecha Phantom Beast Dracossack" as soon as possible. To increase their speed, this deck also utilizes "Tempest, Dragon Ruler of Storms" along with "Sacred Sword of Seven Stars" for draw power, while also adding more Level 7 Summoning power through their lynchpin, "Mecha Phantom Beast Kalgriffin".
This variant has been significantly diminished in terms of consistency and speed, thanks to both "Sacred Sword of Seven Stars" and "Tempest, Dragon Ruler of Storms" being Limited as of January 2014 Lists.
Mecha Chain Beat
The recently-invented hybrid between Mecha Phantom Beasts and the well-known Chain Beat deck, it combines the conventional Chain Beat components along with "Mecha Phantom Beast Blackfalcon" and "Mecha Phantom Beast Megaraptor" to put more pressure at opponent.
All Mecha Phantom Beasts are Machine-Type, so they share the weaknesses of "Acid Rain", "Magnetic Mosquito", "System Down", "Chimeratech Fortress Dragon", "Electric Virus" and such (the former two will not affect you much if you control at least one Token). "Chimeratech Fortress Dragon" can be used for absorbing your monsters without destroying them (fortunately, it can't absorb Tokens). "System Down" is the most dangerous, since it can completely bypasses most Mecha Phantom Beasts built-in protection effect by simply banishing them.
"Reptilianne Vaskii" as a Side Deck card is heavily detrimental to this Deck, as it can be easily Summoned by Tributing 2 of your Tokens, with an effect that can also destroy another monster you control. Combined with ease of access provided by "King of the Feral Imps", it can proved to be quite a nuisance.
"Skill Drain" and "Destiny HERO - Plasma" are extremely dangerous against this deck, since it can will stop any built-in protection and other effects of your Mecha Phantom Beats monsters. However, "Mecha Phantom Beast Dracossack" can still bypass them simply by Tributing itself to destroy those cards, if you can still manage to summon it while your monsters' effects are negated.
Bujin deck can also become serious threat to Mecha Phantom Beast deck due to their ability to Summon "Bujintei Susanowo" (which can clear away all Mecha Phantom Beast Tokens in one fell swoop). They're also capable of utilizing anti-Special Summon cards like "Vanity's Emptiness", "Summon Limit" and "Kaiser Colosseum" without risk at all, since the deck almost never Special Summon in the first place. "Bujingi Turtle" and "Bujingi Hare" can also thwarts any common removal attempt, since "Mecha Phantom Beast Dracossack"'s and "Mecha Phantom Beast Coltwing"'s effect specifically targets and destroys, respectively.
In order to function properly, this deck needs to constantly generate tokens. Because of this, cards like "Poisonous Winds", "Power Filter" and any other anti-Special Summon cards can force this deck into screeching halt. Spell/Trap removals are the essential key for combating these kinds of threats.
- All Mecha Phantom Beast monsters that can Special Summon Mecha Phantom Beast Tokens (except Mecha Phantom Beast Aerosguin) featured an equal amount of tokens to the number of Tokens they can Special Summon through their respective effects.
- All Mecha Phantom Beast Tuner monsters are based on spacecrafts, except "Mecha Phantom Beast Blue Impala".
- All of them also have their Token-generating effect activates in the Graveyard under certain conditions.
- If you notice, most of the Mecha Phantom Beast monsters generate Tokens in form of multi-colored holograms. "Mecha Phantom Beast Stealthray" and "Mecha Phantom Beast Blackfalcon" are the only exception, in this case their holograms being solid-green colored instead.
- If you look closely, their Token-generating device are having simpler design unlike the others (as if they were prototypes) and primarily green-colored instead of black-colored.
- Both of them are also depicted in the artwork of "Do a Barrel Roll".
- This may be a reference to their limited Token-generating ability, as their generating effect can only be activated during the Battle Phase at certain scenarios.
- The same multi-colored light spectrum that these holograms have are also featured in the artwork of "Mecha Phantom Beast Concoruda" and "Mirage Fortress Enterprisenir", despite those two monsters doesn't have an effect that generate tokens.