Special Card TypesEdit
- Trap-Spell Cards 「罠・魔法カード」: These are cards that are treated as Spell Cards and also as Trap Cards at the same time. Examples of this kind of card would be "Stop Defense" and "Graverobber", which were released in the real card game as a Normal Spell Card and a Normal Trap Card respectively.
- Equip Trap Cards 「罠・装備カード」: A Trap Card with the same properties as an Equip Spell Card. These include cards like "Metalmorph", "Amulet of Affection", "Mirror Barrier", etc. In the OCG/TCG, Metalmorph was made a Normal Trap Card (later Errata'd into a Continuous Trap Card) that becomes an Equip Card after activation. While no real-life Trap Cards have the Equip Property by default, some are treated as Equip Cards immediately after activation (such as "Blast with Chain").
- Field Trap Cards 「罠・フィールドカード」: A Trap Card with the same properties as a Field Spell Card. "Stronghold the Moving Fortress" and "Sand Fortress" are examples of this kind of card. "Stronghold the Moving Fortress" is the only one of these cards to have been released in the OCG/TCG, for which it was made a Continuous Trap Card.
- Virus Cards 「ウイルスカード」: "Crush Card Virus" and "Virus Cannon" were not Spell or Trap Cards, they were actually in a class of their own. These cards were presented as Normal Spell Cards in the Japanese anime, but were made into Normal Trap Cards in the OCG & TCG, and in the dubbed anime.
- Others: Some cards such as "Dragon Nails" and "Cyber Shield" were not identified as Spell or Trap Cards, but merely as "Equip Cards".