The archetype has become infamous for its ability to provide cheap and generic monster removal while bypassing almost any protection the target may have. However, due to Master Rule 4, Kaiju monsters cannot get rid of monsters in the Extra Monster Zone if that player's Main Monster Zone is full.
Each "Kaiju" monster is based on a monster from different kaiju franchises, such as Godzilla, Ultraman, Pacific Rim and Gamera. Their Field Spell represents a common setting for the movies, while the other Spell/Trap Cards seem to be common scenes in these movies.
Kaiju is a Japanese term meaning "strange beast" or "monster", frequently used to describe giant monsters from movies. However, the Japanese archetype name is a pun, as it is written as 「壊獣」 instead of 「怪獣」 , with a Kanji for "destruction" replacing the one for "strange".
|Interrupted Kaiju Slumber||Breach|
|Kaiju Capture Mission||G-Force|
|The Kaiju Files|
|Kyoutou Waterfront||Kyoto/Tokyo, Japan|
Each member with the exception of "Mecha-Dogoran", can Tribute an opponent's monster to Summon it to their side of the field, similar to "Volcanic Queen" or "Lava Golem", and can be Special Summoned from the hand if the opponent controls a "Kaiju" monster, most likely symbolizing the obsession these monsters have with fighting each other in movies. "Kyoutou Waterfront" is a very important card to the archetype as it both provides Kaiju Counters to use the "Kaiju" monsters' effects and searches those monsters from the Deck. Numerous Normal Spell Cards, such as "Upstart Goblin", are recommended to put Kaiju Counters on "Waterfront" and increase consistency. The "Ninja" engine is also very helpful as of Clash of Rebellions, as it helps to Summon the few monsters in the archetype with ease, while also putting counters on "Waterfront" with cards such as "Reinforcement of the Army" and the "Ninjitsu Transformation" cards.
A very useful card to add to this archetype is "Neo-Spacian Grand Mole". If a monster your opponent controls that is owned by you is returned to the hand, it returns to your hand, not your opponent's. Therefore, you can Tribute an opponent's monster to Summon a Kaiju to their field, then Summon a Kaiju to your field, and Normal Summon Grand Mole. Attack the enemy Kaiju with Grand Mole and return both to your hand, then either attack another opponent's monster or attack directly. This combination essentially allows you to Summon a massive, powerful beatstick for free, and Tribute an opponent's monster (thereby getting around any anti-destruction or targeting effects it has too) in the process.
"Castel, the Skyblaster Musketeer" is another card with high utility. He can be summoned easily with "Summoner Monk" and any of several Level 4 staples ("Electromagnetic Turtle", "Planet Pathfinder", etc.), and his first effect can be used to flip Kaijus you control face-down in order to summon more, plus he has additional utility in a tricky situation to get rid of a problematic card.
Cyber Dragon Kaiju
"Kaiju" monsters can also work around "Cyber Dragon" decks dedicated to "Cyber Dragon Infinity" due to the fact that they are Special Summoned in Attack Position via their own effects, and can therefore be taken back as Xyz Material for "Cyber Dragon Infinity" immediately, therefore getting over an opponent's monster that would otherwise be immune to targeting (such as "Blue-Eyes Shining Dragon" or certain "Kozmo" monsters), or avoiding their negation effects (such as those of "Shooting Quasar Dragon", "Stardust Sifr Divine Dragon", and "Crystal Wing Synchro Dragon"). This tactic will cause also the last effect of "Shooting Quasar Dragon" to miss its timing, preventing your opponent from negating the effect "Cyber Dragon Infinity" with "Quasar" or Special Summoning "Shooting Star Dragon" after it is tributed.
"Jizukiru, the Star Destroying Kaiju" can also be used in conjunction with "Chimeratech Fortress Dragon" if you control "Cyber Dragon" or any of the monsters that have their name treated as "Cyber Dragon" while face-up on the field to get rid of an opponent's monster, then immediately be used as Fusion Material for "Chimeratech Fortress Dragon". "Chimeratech Fortress Dragon" can then be used with a Level 8 "Kaiju" monster to Xyz Summon "Number 38: Hope Harbinger Dragon Titanic Galaxy", "Divine Dragon Knight Felgrand", or any other Rank 8 Xyz Monster you wish.
The "Kaiju" monsters hybridize well with the "Graydle" archetype, as the "Graydle" monsters focus on taking control of the opponent's monsters, allowing the "Kaiju" monsters to be used as quick spot removal and then reclaimed. The effect of "Graydle Dragon" can also revive "Gameciel, the Sea Turtle Kaiju" from the Graveyard when it is destroyed. Due to the heavy use of the "Graydles", which will often be used to take control of more than just "Kaiju", "Owner's Seal" and "Remove Brainwashing" are more detrimental than helpful. The "Graydle" monsters also give access to Level 8 Synchro Monsters and Rank 3 and 8 Xyz Monsters (the latter through use of overlaying both Level 8 Synchros and "Kaiju".)
- This Deck focuses entirely on Special Summoning "Kaiju" monsters in order to win, so cards that disable or counter Special Summoning, like "Fossil Dyna Pachycephalo" or "Black Horn of Heaven", can greatly hinder this Deck.
- "Kyoutou Waterfront" is a key element of the Deck, as it can search out "Kaiju" monsters from the Deck once it has 3 or more Kaiju Counters (which can be easily accumulated in most situations). It can be difficult to eliminate, as it can also remove 1 Kaiju Counter from itself to prevent its destruction. However, Decks that are capable of Rank 4 Xyz Summons can use "Castel, the Skyblaster Musketeer" to dispatch it with ease. An alternate option is "Spiritualism", which can avoid negation by the effect of "Gameciel, the Sea Turtle Kaiju".
- "Gate Blocker" can also be somewhat effective, as its effect will negate "Kyoutou Waterfront" and remove its counters as a result. While it may use up one's Normal Summon and be vulnerable in Attack Position, it also has some merit against the "Kaiju-Graydle" hybrid Deck by drawing the effects of "Graydle" monsters to itself.
- "Cursed Seal of the Forbidden Spell" and "Prohibition" can disable "Kyoutou Waterfront" near-permanently. "Spell Vanishing" is another option, although some "Kaiju" players will use cards that recover Spells from their Graveyard to counter attempts to destroy their Field Spell.
- Another option is to use a card effect to banish cards that would normally be sent to the Graveyard (for instance, "Banisher of the Light", "Macro Cosmos", or the Pendulum effect of "Amorphage Goliath"). This will prevent "Kyoutou Waterfront" from accumulating Kaiju Counters, as well as limit the "Kaiju" player's ability to use the second effect of "Interrupted Kaiju Slumber" to search their Deck for more "Kaiju" monsters.
- As all of the "Kaiju" monsters are high-Level monsters, cards like "Gravity Bind" and "Level Limit - Area B" can easily prevent them from attacking.
- "Kaiju" monsters can activate their effects by using Kaiju Counters from anywhere on the field, so your opponent can easily use their effects against you (although "Kaiju Capture Mission" can hinder them by forcing the "Kaiju" into face-down Defense Position before its effect can resolve).
- In general, careful thought must be made when deciding which "Kaiju" monster you're going to give to the opponent - always make sure that you have a way to retake it or destroy it before your opponent can use it against you.
Summoners (Normal Spell Cards)
|Moonface the Silver
|Leon the Lead
|Salamandra the Steel
|Ouroboros the Bronze
|Ekenas the Mercury
|Aretos the Tin
Tin Spell Circle
|Aliens||Overlord / Mother / Psychic||Shocktrooper / Infiltrator / Warrior||Mars / Telepath||Ammonite / Dog / Grey / Kid||Hunter / Hypno||Skull|
|Altergeists||Primebanshee / Kidolga / Multifaker||Kunquery||Hextia||Marionetter||Meluseek||Silquitous / Pixiel|
|Aroma||None Yet||Cananga||Bergamot||Jasmine / Angelica / Rosemary||Rosemary||Jar|
|Attribute Boosters (500 ATK▲/400 DEF▼)
(500 ATK▲/500 DEF▲)
(500 ATK▲/400 DEF▼)
(400 ATK▲/200 DEF▼)
Wee Witch's Apprentice
Mystic Plasma Zone
Sword of Dark Destruction
Rising Air Current
|Attribute Reptiles||Umbral Soul||Raging Earth||Firestorm Prominence||Radiant Spirit||Silent Abyss||Destruction Cyclone|
|Attribute Summoners||Mystic Tomato||Giant Rat||UFO Turtle||Shining Angel||Mother Grizzly||Flying Kamakiri #1|
|B.E.S.||Big Core||Covered Core||Big Core MK-2||Assault Core / Big Core MK-3||Crystal Core||Tetran|
|Code Talkers||Code / Decode||Transcode||Powercode||Encode||Shootingcode||Excode|
|Crusadia||None Yet||Crusadia Leonis||Reclusia||Maximus / Equimax / Magius / Regulex||Arboria||Draco|
|Cubic||Vijam / Crimson Nova / Crimson Nova Trinity||Dark Garnex||Blade Garoodia||Duza / Buster Gundil / Indiora Doom Volt||None Yet||Geira Guile|
|Dice Roll Archfiends||Terrorking||Vilepawn||Infernalqueen||Desrook||Darkbishop||Shadowknight|
|The Trojan Horse
|Kaiser Sea Horse
|Star||Yellow||Red||House / White||Blue||Green|
|Elemental HERO Fusion Monsters
(1 "HERO" + 1 matching Attribute)
|Escuridao||Gaia||Nova Master||The Shining||Absolute Zero||Great Tornado|
Lapauila / Lapauila Mana
|Ghost Girls||Ghost Reaper & Winter Cherries||Ghost Belle & Haunted Mansion||Ash Blossom & Joyous Spring||Ghost Ogre & Snow Rabbit||None Yet||None Yet|
(Equip Spell Cards)
|Baou / Dreadscythe
Wicked-Breaking Flamberge / Reaper Scythe
Shooting Star Bow
Twin Swords of Flashing Light
Rod of Silence
|Elma / Eatos
Buttefly Dagger / Celestial Sword
|Invoked||Caliga||Magellanica||Purgatrio||Mechaba / Elysium||Cocytus||Raidjin|
|Kaiju||Radian||Kumongous||Dogoran||Jizukiru / Mecha-Dogoran / Thunder King||Gameciel||Gadarla|
|Knightmare||Unicorn / Iblee||Cerberus||Phoenix||Gryphon||Mermaid||Goblin|
|Legendary Planets||Jupiter / Saturn / Pluto / Sun||Terra Firma||Mars||Venus / Uranus||Mercury / Neptune||None Yet|
|Non-Fusion Masked HEROes
Level 6 M-HERO Fusion Monsters
Level 8 M-HERO Fusion Monsters
Related "Monarch" Spell/Trap Cards
|Caius / Erebus
Caius the Mega
Tenacity / The First
Lucius / Eidos
Granmarg the Mega
Thestalos the Mega
|Zaborg / Ehther
Zaborg the Mega
Strike / The Prime
Mithra / Edea
Mobius the Mega
Raiza the Mega
|Musical Djinns||Maestroke||Temtempo||None Yet||Melomelody||Humhumming||Muzurhythm|
|Mythyrian Numbers||Djinn Buster||Lion Heart / Ronin Raccoon Sandayu||None Yet||Sky Pegasus / Dragluon||Abyss Splash / Crystalzero||None Yet|
Umbral Horror Masquerade
Giant Red Hand
|Battlin' Boxer Star Cestus
Battlin' Boxer Comet Cestus
|Star Seraph Sentry / Masquerade / Galaxy-Eyes Tachyon Dragon
Archfiend Seraph / Neo Galaxy-Eyes Tachyon Dragon
|Silent Honor ARK / Ragnazero
Silent Honor DARK / Ragnafinity
|Odd-Eyes Dragons||Odd-Eyes / Pendulum / Rebellion / Raging / Phantom / Persona / Mirage / Supreme King / Venom / Wing / Performapal Metal Claw / Arc Pendulum||Gravity||Meteorburst||Saber / Lancer / Revolution||Absolute||Vortex|
|Pendulum Magicians||Stargazer / Timegazer / Xiangke / Timebreaker / Acrobatic / Dragoncaller / Harmonizing / Double Iris / Black Fang / Purple Poison||Dragonpulse||Nobledragon||Xiangsheng / Wisdom-Eye / Dharma-Eye / Performapal Five-Rainbow||Dragonpit||Oafdragon / White Wing|
|Resonators||Dark / Synkron||Clock||Flare / Red / Double / Net||Barrier / Chain / Mirror||Force||Creation|
(1 "Shaddoll" + 1 matching Attribute)
|Signer Dragons||Red Archfiend / Black-Winged||Life Stream||Black Rose||Ancient Fairy||None Yet||Stardust|
Legendary Six Samurai
Secret Six Samurai
|Sky Striker Ace||Raye||None Yet||Kagari||None Yet||Shizuku||Hayate|
|Nitro / Jet
Nitro / Jet
(Continuous Spell/Trap Cards)
|Thunder / Rainbow
|True Draco and True King||All Calamities||Lithosazim / Dreiath III||Agnimazud / Ignis Heat||Metaltron XII / Master Peace / King Master Peace||Bahrstos / Dinomight Knight||Mariamne / Majesty Maiden|
|World Legacy - "World Chalice"
|Beckoned by the World Chalice
Ningirsu the World Chalice Warrior
|Chosen by the World Chalice
Auram the World Chalice Blademaster
|Lee the World Chalice Fairy
|Crowned by the World Chalice
Ib the World Chalice Priestess
|World Chalice Guardragon
Imduk the World Chalice Dragon
|Jiaotu / Taotie
|Bi'an / Zefraxi / Zefraniu||Suanni||Chiwen
Baxia / Chaofeng / Denglong