Flip monsters (Japanese: リバースモンスター Ribāsumonsutā "Reverse Monster"), formerly Flip Effect Monsters (リバース
While some Flip monsters have effects other than their Flip effect, any monster with a Flip effect is a Flip monster.
A Flip effect is a type of Trigger Effect that is preceded by "FLIP:". This kind of effect is triggered when the monster on the field is fliped from face-down to a face-up, even during the Damage Step.
Some monsters have effects with the timing "when this card is flipped face-up" (unofficially called Pseudo-Flip Effects), such "Snowman Eater", which while mechanically identical are different from Flip effects.
When a face-down Flip monster is attacked, during damage calculation the monster is flipped face-up, then it is determined whether or not the monster is destroyed by battle. Near the end of the Damage Step, before being sent to the Graveyard if it was destroyed by battle, the Flip monster's Flip effect activates and resolves on the field, if the timing is correct.
- So far, there are no Dragon, Dinosaur, Fish and Sea Serpent-Type Flip monsters.
- Flip monsters are rarely used in the anime, in which prior to Yu-Gi-Oh! ZEXAL it was legal to Normal Summon a monster in Defense Position, and Set monsters were rarely seen.
- "Cyber Jar", "Fiber Jar", "Magician of Faith", "Morphing Jar" and "Morphing Jar #2" are the only Flip monsters to ever be Forbidden (the last two only on the TCG).
- "Pot of The Forbidden" has the highest Level and DEF of all Flip monsters, being Level 9 with 3000 DEF.
- "Shaddoll Beast" has the highest ATK of all Flip monsters, with 2200 ATK.
- The illegal card "Masahiro the Dark Clown" is the only Flip monster to have Flavor text.