|Flip Effect Monster|
Reverse Effect Monsters
Flip Effect Monsters
While some Flip Effect Monsters have effects other than their Flip Effect, any monster with a Flip Effect is a Flip Effect Monster.
They are generally a low Level; so far, only 5 Flip Effect Monsters are Level 5 or higher ("Hade-Hane", "Nobleman-Eater Bug", "Reaper of the Cards", "Worm Noble" and "Worm Victory"). Many Flip Effect Monsters have low ATK and DEF, but have very useful effects.
When a face-down Flip Effect Monster is attacked, during damage calculation the monster is flipped face-up, then it is determined whether or not the monster is destroyed by battle. Near the end of the Damage Step, before being sent to the Graveyard if it was destroyed by battle, the Flip Effect Monster's Flip Effect activates and resolves on the field, if the timing is correct.
However, if a card effect destroys a face-down Flip Effect Monster, its Flip Effect cannot be activated since it is not flipped face-up. If a face-down Flip Effect Monster is destroyed by a card effect before it battles (so it is never flipped face-up), such as by "Ancient Gear Beast", its Flip Effect cannot be activated.
- Flip Effect Monsters are rarely used in the anime, where it is legal to Normal Summon a monster in Defense Position, and Setting monsters is rarely seen.
- The only character to focus a Deck on them is the appropriately-named (in the dub) Flip Turner.
- "Cyber Jar", "Fiber Jar", "Magician of Faith", "Morphing Jar" and "Morphing Jar #2" are the only Flip Effect Monsters to ever be Forbidden ("Magician of Faith" only in the OCG, and the last two only on the TCG).
- 4 of the 8 members of "Jar" are currently Forbidden (in the TCG).
- The "Worm" archetype is primarily based on Flip Effect Monsters.
- "Worm Victory" has the highest Level and DEF of all Flip Effect Monsters.
- "Slate Warrior" has the highest ATK of all Flip Effect Monsters.