|It has been suggested that this article be renamed to Flip monster. (discuss)|
The reason given was: Effect text of "Shaddoll Hound"
|Flip Effect Monster|
|Japanese (kanji and furigana)||
リバース(モンスター)[Notes 1] (formerly リバース
リバース(モンスター) (formerly リバースこうかモンスター)
Ribāsu (Monsutā) (formerly Ribāsu Kōka Monsutā)
Reverse (Monster) (formerly Reverse Effect Monster)
Flip (monster) (formerly Flip Effect Monster)
Flip monsters (formerly Flip Effect Monsters; Japanese: リバースモンスター Ribāsumonsutā "Reverse Monster", formerly リバース
While some Flip monsters have effects other than their Flip Effect, any monster with a Flip Effect is a Flip monster.
They are generally a low Level; so far, only 6 Flip monsters are Level 5 or higher ("Hade-Hane", "Nobleman-Eater Bug", "Reaper of the Cards", "Shaddoll Beast", "Worm Noble" and "Worm Victory"). Many Flip monsters have low ATK and DEF, but have very useful effects.
A Flip Effect is an effect that is preceded by "FLIP:", which of Super Starter: Space-Time Showdown" is also included next to the monster's Type in the same manner as "Toon" or "Union". This kind of effect is triggered when the monster on the field is fliped from face-down to a face-up, even during the Damage Step.
When a face-down Flip monster is attacked, during damage calculation the monster is flipped face-up, then it is determined whether or not the monster is destroyed by battle. Near the end of the Damage Step, before being sent to the Graveyard if it was destroyed by battle, the Flip monster's Flip Effect activates and resolves on the field, if the timing is correct.
However, if a card effect destroys a face-down Flip monster, its Flip Effect cannot be activated since it is not flipped face-up. If a face-down Flip monster is destroyed by a card effect before it battles (so it is never flipped face-up), such as by "Ancient Gear Beast", its Flip Effect cannot be activated.
- Flip monsters are rarely used in the anime, where, up until Yu-Gi-Oh! ZEXAL, it was legal to Normal Summon a monster in Defense Position, and Set monsters were rarely seen.
- The only character to focus a Deck on them is the appropriately-named (in the dub) Flip Turner.
- "Cyber Jar", "Fiber Jar", "Magician of Faith", "Morphing Jar" and "Morphing Jar #2" are the only Flip monsters to ever be Forbidden ("Magician of Faith" only in the OCG, and the last two only on the TCG).
- 4 of the 8 members of "Jar" are currently Forbidden (in the TCG).
- "Worm Victory" has the highest Level and DEF of all Flip monsters. "Slate Warrior" has the highest ATK of all Flip monsters.