Clockwise from top left: "Tempest", "Redox", "Tidal" and "Blaster" in the artwork of "Dragoroar"
"Dragon Ruler" (Japanese:
|Dragon Ruler||Baby version|
The Adult "Dragon Rulers" all share three characteristics:
- If this card is in your hand or Graveyard: You can banish a total of 2 [corresponding Attribute] monsters and/or Dragon-Type monsters from your hand and/or Graveyard, except this card; Special Summon this card."
- During your opponent's End Phase, if this card was Special Summoned: Return it to the hand."
- If this card is banished: You can add 1 [corresponding Attribute] Dragon-Type monster from your Deck to your hand.
- You can only use 1 "[corresponding Dragon Ruler]" effect per turn, and only once that turn."
- A variable effect that triggers upon sending it and 1 other corresponding Attribute monster from your hand to the Graveyard.
Each Baby "Dragon Ruler" can Special Summon one Level 7 "Dragon Ruler" of the same Attribute from the Deck, though that monster cannot attack that turn.
The series proved to be far too synergistic and powerful. The OCG and TCG Forbidden and Limited Lists experimented throughout the months following their release, first with the Baby Dragon Rulers Forbidden in the September 2013 lists, then the Adult Dragon Rulers Limited, and finally the series was eradicated in April 2015 with the Adult Dragon Rulers Forbidden, and the now-useless Babies Unlimited.
Generally, each "Dragon Ruler" can be used as support to decks of their corresponding Attribute, such as:
- "Blaster" in "Laval", "Fire King", "Volcanic", "Battlin' Boxer", etc.
- "Redox" in "Karakuri", "X-Saber", "Naturia", etc.
- "Tidal" in "Ice Barrier", "Mermail", "Atlantean", etc.
- "Tempest" in "Dragunity", "Harpie", "Gusto", "Mecha Phantom Beast", etc.
Weaknesses and counter-strategies
Cards that can shut down or slow this deck are cards that stops the opponent from banishing, discarding, or prevent Special Summoning. Having both a "Mind Drain" and "Soul Drain" on the field will completely shut down this Deck, but "A Wingbeat of Giant Dragon", "Twin Twisters", "Stamping Destruction", "Cosmic Cyclone", and "Royal Decree" can eliminate this threat. While "Mind Drain" is active on the field you'll be prevented from using "Dragon Ruler" effects that banish/discard from the hand. While "Soul Drain" is active on the field you'll be prevented from using "Dragon Ruler" effects that banish/add from activating from the Graveyard and Banished Zone.
Cards that prevent players from Special Summoning, such as "Archlord Kristya", "Evilswarm Ophion", "Fossil Dyna Pachycephalo", "Crimson Blader" and also "Barrier Statue of the Abyss and "Barrier Statue of the Heavens" can prove problematic as this Deck relies heavily on Level 7 and higher monsters. "Dragon Capture Jar" and "Buster Blader, the Dragon Destroyer Swordsman" can prevent your Dragons from attacking or activating their effects no matter they be in your hand, Graveyard, or banish. "Summon Limit" can prevents Xyz Summoning Rank 7 monsters indirectly, while also hampering your Normal Summon and other Special Summons. Also, "Imperial Iron Wall", "Chaos Hunter", or "Kycoo the Ghost Destroyer" prevents banishment attempts, effectively blocking any Dragon Ruler's Special Summon as well. "Banisher of the Radiance", "Banisher of the Light", "Dimensional Fissure" and "Macro Cosmos" can banish the Dragon Rulers, rendering them un-Summonable or at least, forcing cards like "Dragoncarnation" to retrieve them back. "Goblin of Greed" also prevents the player from using the discard-based effects of all the "Rulers" themselves.
| Attribute Spirits|
| Spirit of Flames|
| The Rock Spirit|
| Aqua Spirit|
| Garuda the Wind Spirit|
|Dracoslayers and Dracoverlords||Ignister Prominence||Amorphactor Pain||Dinoster Power||Majester Paladin|
| (Level 7) Dragon Rulers|
(Level 3 and 4) Younger Versions
(by set and effect)
|Prevent Trap activation||Invasion of Flames||Tactical Espionage Expert||Creeping Doom Manta||Eagle Eye|