"Duel Dragons" (
The Duel Dragon cards appear to have something to do with the Skeleton Knight and Rex Goodwin and their plans involving the Ultimate God, and possess a massive dark power. Six of the Duel Dragons shown are counterparts of the Signer Dragons, hinting that they will have a similar role. These "Duel Dragon," versions of the Signer Dragons so far possess effects that seem to be the reverse of their counterparts. Most of them seem to possess different Attributes from their Signer counterparts, such as Stardust Spark Dragon having a LIGHT attribute rather than a WIND attribute and both Ancient Pixie Dragon and Machine Dragon Power Tool having DARK attributes rather than LIGHT and EARTH.
In the Japanese version, the names of all Duel Dragons have the following composition: "(Adjective 1) (Adjective 2) Dragon - (Name)" with the adjectives and "Dragon" written in Kanji and the name in Katakana. Some have two adjectives, while some have only one, still, all have two Kanji characters for the adjective(s).
The majority of the series are Dragon-Type Synchro Monsters (the exceptions are "Power Tool Mecha Dragon", which is a Machine-Type and "Underworld Dragon Dragonecro", which is a Fusion Monster). Some of the Duel Dragons have marks that resemble the Mark of the Dragon somewhere on their bodies. Both "Machine Dragon Power Tool" and "Ancient Pixie Dragon" that resemble their anime counterparts can be considered dark counterparts via their Dark Attributes and alternate effects. The "Signer Dragon Duel Dragons" often have a darker colour scheme than the original, though "Stardust Spark Dragon" only demonstrated this when being used by the Shinto Priest.
Duel Dragons possess a strong miasma which causes their owners' personalities to become darker, or even takes over them. Also, they appear to have more occult powers; When attacking Yusei, Leo's dragon showed him memories from Leo himself, while when Sect got mad at some men, his Duel Dragon card's miasma instantly made them fall on the ground unconscious. Furthermore, Rex Goodwin was able to pass memories of Akiza's past life directly to her mind by just making her have contact with a Duel Dragon card. "Stardust Spark Dragon" was able to show Yusei Fudo its own memories when he engaged in a One-Shot Run against it.
According to Rex Goodwin, since ancient times, Turbo Dueling has been a ritual designed to fight and seal the darkness, and that the Duel Dragons were specifically designed for such rituals. In the past, they were fought on horseback. He says they are cards which sealed the dragonic power of the priests who controlled them, and adds that controlling or being controlled by that power depends on the strength of the Duelist's mentality. Because of that, he now is gathering Duelists with strong mentality in order to control the Duel Dragons, and according to him, save the world from Skeleton Knight. Goodwin has also stated that there are five dragons which belonged to the Priests, "Stardust Spark Dragon" is the only one known so far.
Usually, the Duel Dragons are blank cards which take form after obtaining a holder, with few exceptions, like Yusei's "Stardust Spark Dragon", which already had a form when Yusei obtained it, though the card itself did not and displayed the form only after Yusei obtained the dragon. Rex Goodwin and the Skeleton Knight seem to possess all of the Duel Dragon cards, and distribute them to powerful Duelists, which they choose through several methods. Some include:
- Sect Ijuin obtained his "Beelze, King of Dark Dragons" personally from the Skeleton Knight via an oath, in exchange of his services.
- Yusei Fudo had to undergo a ritual involving the Dragon's original owner in order to obtain it. It was placed by Rex Goodwin in a Duel Zodiac.
- Jack Atlas obtained a blank Duel Dragon personally from Goodwin, which took form right after being held by him, after defeating Kalin Kessler and being recognized as the V.S.S.L.'s strongest Duelist.
- When Crow Hogan passed by a blank Duel Dragon card, the card's black aura took form of a dark version of himself, and if Crow defeated it, he'd obtain the Dragon, which he was able to accomplish. It was placed by Rex Goodwin in a Duel Zodiac.
- Akiza Izinski received a blank Duel Dragon personally from Goodwin so that she could become the Duel Priestess and participate in the ritual to revive the Ultimate God.
- Leo got his Duel Dragon from Lazar, under Goodwin's orders, after he got beaten up by people for losing duels and making them lose money when they had placed their bets on him.
- Kalin performed a oath and received his Duel Dragon from the Skeleton Knight.
Although how she obtained her Duel Dragon is currently unknown, Luna most likely obtained hers from Goodwin.
- ↑ Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Ride 23: "Twin Duelists!!"
- ↑ Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Ride 32: "Zero Battle!!"
- ↑ Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Ride 24: "Equip Vs. Equip!!"
- ↑ Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Ride 17: "Omens!!"
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Ride 40: "Ritual of the Sun and Moon!!"
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Ride 30: "The Ancient Duel Arena!!"
- ↑ Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Ride 26: "Premonition of a Fierce Fight...!!"
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Ride 31: "Jewel Flare Dragon Stardust!!"
- ↑ Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Ride 8: "One-Shot Run"
- ↑ Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Ride 35: "The Battle for the Duel Zodiacs!!"
- ↑ Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Ride 25: "Sense Upon Sense...!!"
- ↑ Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Ride 33: "Duel Dragon vs. Duel Dragon!!"