The Duel Coaster (デュエル・コースター Dyueru Kōsutā) is a special type of roller coaster in the Yu-Gi-Oh! ZEXAL anime. It is the site of the first stage of the World Duel Carnival Finals, similar to the concept of Kaiba Craft 3.
A complete set of Heart Pieces is the starting key for each Duelist's coaster. When a Duelist's Life Points hit zero, they are ejected from their car and parachuted down. The empty car is switched to a different track and the winner continues on.
Trap Points have effects that inflict Effect Damage ("Secret Barrel", "The Paths of Destiny", "Cemetary Bonb", and an unnamed trap that dealt 200 points of damage) while Spell Points have effects that let you gain Life Points ("Mooyan Curry", "Dian Keto the Cure Master" and "Rain of Mercy").
This incorporates a new element of luck and strategy, as one could be on the verge of defeat but can also find themselves revived or unexpectedly defeated. Life Points don't reset every time there's a new Duel. As such, skills such as handling speed, keeping track of which lanes your opponents are in, and keeping in mind the amount of Life and the type of cards set along the track add for a much more unpredictable Duel style.
The following are known rules of this system.
- There are no turns. Duelists may Normal Summon monsters and activate Spell and Trap Cards whenever they wish.
- Draw Phases are conducted only when a Duelist hits a Draw Point.
- Monsters cannot be Set, they must be Normal Summoned in Defense Position.
- You may only attack another Duelist if they are on the same lane as you and in front of you. Also, you can switch lanes in order to avoid attacks.
- You begin with 4000 Life Points, which are not restored after each Duel.
- Ramming your opponents is legal.
- A player may use their allies' monsters for a Fusion or Xyz Summon.
- Players may Set Spell and Trap Cards on the coaster in order to damage other players with their effects.
The Duel Coaster has two sections, the park section and the underground section. At the end of the underground section are entrances to four Duel Fields, where the next stage of the finals are held.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Yu-Gi-Oh! ZEXAL episode 51: "Roller Duel"
- ↑ Yu-Gi-Oh! ZEXAL episode 52: "Roller Coaster Rampage!"
- ↑ Yu-Gi-Oh! ZEXAL episode 53: "Test Your Luck!"