Clockwise, from bottom-left: "Suanni", "Bixi", "Bi'an", "Baxia", "Pulao" and "Chiwen".
"Yang Zing", known as "Dracomet" (
A group of Wyrms who dwell inside the "Stars" of the Heavens and Earth. They are incarnations of elements found on the planet and the power of the bright stars in the sky brought forth by "Constellar Sombre", who has the same amount of power as a god. It's said that when the "Yang Zing" come together, a shining radiance will consume everything. (This is most likely referencing to the deck's primary Synchro Monster, "Baxia, Brightness of the Yang Zing", and its effect to clear away almost the entire field when Summoned.)
The "Yang Zing" are based on the Nine Offspring of the Dragon, characters of Chinese mythology. "Yang Zing" was likely altered from "Yang Xing" to avoid pronounciation difficulties. In Chinese, "Yang Xing" may be interpreted as either 陽星 yáng xīng, literally meaning "sun star", or 陽性 yáng xìng, meaning "positive" or "masculine".
According to Sheng'an Waiji by Yang Shen, the "9 sons of the dragon" are listed as the following order:
|#||"Yang Zing" monster||Respective Son of the Dragon|
|6||Baxia||Shoufuku||Bāxià / Gōngfù||Haka/Basha / Kōfuku/Shōfuku|
According to Huailu Tangji by Li Dongyang, they are listed in the following order:
|#||"Yang Zing" monster||Respective Son of the Dragon|
|6||Bixi||Bishiki||Bāxià / Bìxì||Haka/Basha / Hiki/Hiiki/Bishi|
Almost all of the Main Deck monsters focus on maintaining field presence by Special Summoning one another when they are destroyed. In addition, the non-Tuner, non-"Zefra" monsters are capable of Synchro Summoning during the opponent's Main Phase or Battle Phase, like "Urgent Tuning" or "T.G. Wonder Magician", and give bonuses to the Synchro Monster that they were used to Summon, as follows:
|"Yang Zing" monster||Attribute||Level||Bonus given to the Synchro Monster|
|Pulao||WIND||1||Unaffected by Spell Cards.|
|Bixi||WATER||2||Unaffected by Trap Cards.|
|Bi'an||EARTH||3||Cannot be destroyed by battle.|
|Suanni||FIRE||4||Gains 500 ATK and DEF.|
|Taotie||DARK||5||Possession cannot be switched.|
The Tuner Main Deck monsters of the archetype, "Chiwen, Light of the Yang Zing" and "Jiaotu, Darkness of the Yang Zing", have effects that tend to speed-up Synchro Summons even more: the first one follows the trend of many Tuner monsters, such as "Plaguespreader Zombie", "Scrap Mind Reader" and "Re-Cover", by Special Summoning itself from the Graveyard in order to assist a Synchro Summon but being banished when it leaves the Field, if Special Summoned by its own effect; this effect can be triggered when a "Yang Zing" monster you control is destroyed. The second one can Special Summon 2 "Yang Zings" from the Deck. These effects can be used to provide quick access to the "Yang Zing" Synchro Monsters, namely:
- "Baxia, Brightness of the Yang Zing": when Synchro Summoned, it shuffles cards from the field into the Deck, up to the number of different original Attributes of Wyrm-Type monsters used for its Synchro Summon; it can also destroy 1 card you control in order to Special Summon a Level 4 or lower monster from the Graveyard. This can be used to set up more Synchro Summons, not only by bringing back a "Yang Zing" monster, but also by destroying a "Yang Zing" and triggering its effect.
- "Yazi, Evil of the Yang Zing": cannot be targeted by an opponent's effects and can act like a "Yang Zing" version of "Scrap Dragon", destroying 1 of those monsters you control and one opposing card; in addition, it Special Summons any Wyrm-Type monster from the Deck when it is destroyed.
- "Chaofeng, Phantom of the Yang Zing": it has a more intricate set of effects. First off, it locks the opponent's monsters from activating their effects, provided they share Attibutes with this monster's "Yang Zing" Synchro Materials. Its second effect searches any Tuner monster when it is destroyed. And finally, it Special Summons any Wyrm-Type monster from the Deck when an opponent's monster is destroyed, provided that Wyrm matches the Attribute of the destroyed monster.
- "Denglong, First of the Yang Zing": the first Tuner Synchro Monster of the theme, it has a set of three Deck-thinning effects. When Special Summoned, it fetches a "Yang Zing" card from the Deck. Its second effect mimmics the Level of a Wyrm-Type monster, by sending it from the Deck to the Graveyard. Finally, it Special Summons a "Yang Zing" monster from the Deck whenever it leaves the Field, which can be triggered by simply using it as a Synchro Material.
Despite being a Synchro-reliant Deck, the Archetype also has 2 Pendulum Monsters:
- "Zefraxi, Treasure of the Yang Zing" and "Zefraniu, Secret of the Yang Zing": with Pendulum Scales of 1 and 7, they allow many "Yang Zings" to be Summoned at once, accelerating even more the Synchro Summons. Also, under the right condition, the former's Monster Effect can make a non-Tuner "Yang Zing" be treated as a Tuner, giving even more flexible options to perform a Synchro Summon, whereas the latter's searches a "Yang Zing" Spell/Trap Card.
The support cards of the Archetype are capable of accelerate the Synchro Summons, provide expressive card advantage, recycle cards and reward a player for having a Graveyard full of "Yang Zing" monsters; examples include "Yang Zing Creation", that Special Summons a "Yang Zing" from the Deck when a monster (be it a "Yang Zing" or not) is destroyed. This can be combined with the effects of "Baxia" and "Yazi" to fill the field with many "Yang Zings" in order to set up big Synchro Summons; "Yang Zing Path": it shuffles 3 "Yang Zings" from the Graveyard into the Deck and then gives 2 draws. As the game goes on, a dedicated "Yang Zing" deck can run out of resources, so this card is very important on keeping the strategy up; "Nine Pillars of Yang Zing" is a powerful Counter Trap Card that can negate anything but Summons, and shuffles the negated card into the Deck, which can be useful to avoid Graveyard effects. At the resolution, it destroys a "Yang Zing" card, and if that card is a monster, its effect can be triggered.
Exploring the effects of the "Yang Zing" monsters
In a "Yang Zing" Deck, generic Synchro Monsters are even more powerful than normally, as they will gain additional bonuses when Summoned by using the "Yang Zing" monsters as Synchro Materials.
Using "Chiwen" as the Tuner:
- "Leo, the Keeper of the Sacred Tree": With "Suanni", "Bi'an" and "Pulao", it will have 3600 ATK and immunity against battle destruction and Spell Cards that would destroy it, such as "Dark Hole".
- "Herald of the Arc Light": Can be Summoned with "Bi'an" and put pressure on the opponent, by negating their effects. Can be revived with "Baxia".
Using the effect of "Jiaotu" to Special Summon 2 "Yang Zing" monsters:
- "Trishula, Dragon of the Ice Barrier": Special Summon "Taotie" and "Bixi", giving it immunity against Trap Cards that would negate its effect, such as "Lose 1 Turn", "Fiendish Chain" etc.
- "Beelze of the Diabolic Dragons": Special Summon "Suanni" and "Bixi", giving it an ATK/DEF boost and immunity against Trap Cards that would otherwise take it off the Field, such as "Dimensional Prison", "Phoenix Wing Wind Blast", etc.
- "Ignister Prominence, the Blasting Dracoslayer": Special Summon "Zefraxi, Treasure of the Yang Zing" and "Zefraniu, Secret of the Yang Zing"; Synchro Summon this card by using "Jiaotu" and "Zefraniu" then, use this card's effect and destroy "Zefraxi" and shuffle one opposing card.
- With a "Yang Zing" card in each of the Pendulum Zones, it is possible to Pendulum Summon that previously destroyed "Zefraxi" and get rid of an opponent's card every turn.
- "Hot Red Dragon Archfiend Abyss": Special Summon "Zefraniu, Secret of the Yang Zing" and "Chiwen, Light of the Yang Zing"; Synchro Summon any Level 7 or 8 DARK Dragon-Type monster, then use it as a material to Synchro Summon this card.
It is also possible to use the effect of "Zefraxi, Treasure of the Yang Zing" to turn a non-Tuner "Yang Zing" into a Tuner, in order to achieve more flexible options:
- "Beelze of the Diabolic Dragons": The effect of "Zefraxi" can turn "Taotie" into a Tuner and Synchro Summon this card; in addition, it will be immune against cards like "Number 11: Big Eye" and "Number 101: Silent Honor ARK".
- "Metaphys Horus": By Synchro Summoning it with "Zefraxi" and "Bi'an", it will permanently negate the effect of an opposing card and give change the control of an opponent's monster, while also being immune against battle destruction.
- "Naturia Barkion": Can also be Synchro Summoned by the aforementioned method.
- Also, the effects of the non-Tuner, non-Pendulum Main Deck "Yang Zing" monsters can be used to Synchro Summon during the opponent's turn, allowing the player to activate the effects of monsters like "Trishula", "Black Rose Moonlight Dragon", or "Mist Wurm" on the opponent's turn.
"Denglong, First of the Yang Zing" also made it easier to Summon monsters like "Crystal Wing Synchro Dragon" and "Hot Red Dragon Archfiend Abyss", by Special Summoning "Chiwen" after leaving the field as Synchro material for the Synchro monster required for the Summon of those Dragons. Also, by using "Limit Overdrive", it is possible to Special Summon "Cosmic Blazar Dragon" by returning "Denglong" and "Yazi" to the Extra Deck; this can be a surprise factor, as this monster is commonly expected on Decks like "Synchron", rather than on "Yang Zing" builds. In addition to this, "Denglong" can change its Level to any from 1 to 6 with its effect, allowing for even more flexibility.
- Since their effects rely on swarming the field, mainly when combined with "Yang Zing Creation", cards like "El Shaddoll Winda", "El Shaddoll Grysta" and "Summon Breaker" can slow down the Deck.
- Cards that purely prevent Special Summons, such as "Vanity's Emptiness" and "Fossil Dyna Pachycephalo" are also good counters against them; one can also use "Macro Cosmos" or "Dimensional Fissure" to banish them when they are destroyed. "Soul Drain" and "Deck Lockdown" can prevent them from Special Summoning one another from the Deck when destroyed and, once they main focus is on Synchro Summoning, "Grisaille Prison", "Dimensional Barrier" and "Discord" can also be used.
- The variety of Attributes also makes them vulnerable to "Gozen Match" and "Battle of the Elements". The dependability on Synchros, makes the Deck vulnerable to "Evilswarm Ophion".
- A monster that can attack all opposing monsters, such as "Bujintei Susanowo" or "Number 39: Utopia" equipped with "ZW - Asura Strike" or a "Stardust Charge Warrior" (preferably equipped with "Moon Mirror Shield"), can be surprisingly effective against this Deck, since it will keep on attacking every "Yang Zing" monster Summoned by the one previously destroyed. "Evigishki Merrowgeist" can be a peculiar and efficient solution against the "Yang Zing" as well, shuffling them into the Deck instead of sending them to the Graveyard, and, consequently, prevent them from Special Summoning one another.
- Monsters like "Armades, Keeper of Boundaries", "Gem-Knight Citrine" and "U.A. Mighty Slugger" prevent their effects from being activated when they are destroyed by battle.
- Most of their effects can miss the activation timing due to being optional "When" effects. As such, a "Yang Zing" monster will not be able to activate its searching effect if it is destroyed by "Scarlight Red Dragon Archfiend", "Gwenhwyfar, Queen of Noble Arms", "Ryko, Lightsworn Hunter", "Felis, Lightsworn Archer", or a destruction effect that activates as Chain Link 2 or higher, etc.
- The Japanese name 竜星 ryūsei literally translates to "dragon star". It may also be based on 流星 ryūsei, "meteor", and 竜生九子 Ryūsei Kyūshi, "Nine Offspring of the Dragon".
- This archetype has many similarities with the "Gusto" archetype; both of them are Synchro Summon-oriented archetypes, they also have their own set of "recruiter loops" which also works similarly.
Summoners (Normal Spell Cards)
|Moonface the Silver
|Leon the Lead
|Salamandra the Steel
|Ouroboros the Bronze
|Ekenas the Mercury
|Aretos the Tin
Tin Spell Circle
|Aroma||None Yet||Cananga||Bergamot||Jasmine / Angelica / Rosemary||Rosemary||Jar|
(500 ATK▲/400 DEF▼)
|Mystic Plasma Zone||Gaia Power||Molten Destruction||Luminous Spark||Umiiruka||Rising Air Current|
|Attribute Reptiles||Umbral Soul||Raging Earth||Firestorm Prominence||Radiant Spirit||Silent Abyss||Destruction Cyclone|
|Attribute Summoners||Mystic Tomato||Giant Rat||UFO Turtle||Shining Angel||Mother Grizzly||Flying Kamakiri #1|
|B.E.S.||Big Core||Covered Core||Big Core MK-2||Assault Core / Big Core MK-3||Crystal Core||Tetran|
|Boosters (500 ATK▲/400 DEF▼)||Witch's Apprentice||Milus Radiant||Little Chimera||Hoshiningen||Star Boy||Bladefly|
Glow Moss / Twinkle Moss
Glow / None Yet
Aqua Dolphin / Marine Dolphin
Aqua / Marine
|Cubic||Vijam / Crimson Nova / Crimson Nova Trinity||Dark Garnex||Blade Garoodia||Duza / Buster Gundil / Indiora Doom Volt||None Yet||Geira Guile|
|Dice Roll Archfiends||Terrorking||Vilepawn||Infernalqueen||Desrook||Darkbishop||Shadowknight|
|The Trojan Horse
|Kaiser Sea Horse
|Dustons (1/0/1000 Fiends)||Star||Yellow||Red||House / White||Blue||Green|
|Elemental HERO Fusion Monsters
(1 "HERO" + 1 matching Attribute)
|Escuridao||Gaia||Nova Master||The Shining||Absolute Zero||Great Tornado|
(400 ATK▲/200 DEF▼)
|Sword of Dark Destruction||Invigoration||Burning Spear||Elf's Light||Steel Shell||Gust Fan|
Shooting Star Bow
Twin Swords of Flashing Light
Rod of Silence
|Invoked||Caliga||Magellanica||Purgatrio||Mechaba / Elysium||Cocytus||Raidjin|
|Kaiju||Radian||Kumongous||Dogoran||Jizukiru / Mecha-Dogoran / Thunder King||Gameciel||Gadarla|
|Legendary Planets||Jupiter / Saturn / Sun||Terra Firma||Mars||Venus / Uranus||Mercury / Neptune||None Yet|
|Non-Fusion Masked HERO
Level 6 M-HERO Fusion Monster
Level 8 M-HERO Fusion Monster
|Mirror Force variants||Dark||Quaking||Blazing||Radiant||Drowning||Storming|
|Monarchs||Caius / Delg / Erebus / Angmarl / Tenma||Granmarg||Thestalos||Zaborg / Kuraz / Ehther||Mobius||Raiza|
Related "Monarch" Spell/Trap Card
|Caius / None Yet / None Yet / None Yet / None Yet
Tenacity / None Yet / The First / None Yet / None Yet
|Zaborg / None Yet / None Yet
Strike / None Yet / The Prime
|Monarch "Vassal"||Lucius / None Yet / Eidos / None Yet / None Yet||Landrobe||Berlineth||Mithra / None Yet / Edea||Escher||Garum|
|Musical Djinns||Maestroke the Symphony||Temtempo the Percussion||None Yet||Melomelody the Brass||Humhumming the Key||Muzurhythm the String|
|Odd-Eyes Dragons||Odd-Eyes / Pendulum / Rebellion / Phantom / Persona / Mirage||Gravity||Meteorburst||Saber||Absolute||Vortex|
|Pendulum Magicians||Stargazer / Timegazer / Xiangke / Timebreaker / Acrobatic / Dragoncaller||Dragonpulse||Nobledragon||Xiangsheng / Wisdom-Eye / Dharma-Eye||Dragonpit||Oafdragon|
(below Level 4 Fiend-type tuners)
|Dark / Synkron||Clock||Flare / Red / Double / Net||Barrier / Chain / Mirror||Force||Creation|
|El Shaddoll Fusion Monsters
(1 "Shaddoll" + 1 matching Attribute)
Legendary Six Samurai
Link Monster version
|Starrelic - Stargrail||Stargrail's Beckoned
Stargrail Warrior Ningirsu
Stargrail Swordsman Aurum
|Stargrail's Fairy Ries||Stargrail-Bearing Priestess
Stargrail Shrine Maiden Eve
|Stargrail's Protector Dragon
Stargrail Dragon Imduk
|Nitro / Jet
Nitro / Jet
|True Draco||All Calamities||Lithosazim / Dreiath III||Agnimazud / Ignis Heat||Metaltron XII / Master Peace||Bahrstos / Dinomight Knight||Mariamne / Majesty Maiden|
|Yang Zing Effect Monsters
Yang Zing Synchro Monsters
|Jiaotu / Taotie
|Bi'an / Zefraxi / Zefraniu||Suanni||Chiwen
Baxia / Chaofeng / Denglong