|Continuous Trap Card|
|Japanese (base text)||
Eizoku Torappu Kādo
Permanent Trap Card
Continuous Trap Card
Continuous Trap Cards (Japanese:
Most Continuous Trap Cards require a cost to maintain or possess a condition under which the card is destroyed if said cost/condition is not met. Two examples of these are "Imperial Order" and "Call of the Haunted". "Imperial Order" requires a cost of 700 Life Points to maintain, but "Call of the Haunted" is destroyed when the monster used with it is destroyed. Continuous Trap Cards are also the only kind of Trap Card that can be used to summon "Uria, Lord of Searing Flames", with the exception of cards such as "Blast with Chain" and "Kunai with Chain", which are not Continuous Trap Cards, but remain on the field after activation.
Another example of a Continuous Trap Card is "Royal Decree", which negates Trap Cards' effects. However, since it is still Spell Speed 2, it cannot be used against cards like "Magic Drain", "Seven Tools of the Bandit", "Negate Attack", or "Trap Jammer", since they are all Counter Trap Cards, and thus Spell Speed 3.
Cards such as "Chain Burst" and "Curse of Darkness" have to be face-up on the field before the card it inflicts damage against is activated; you cannot chain these cards to the activation of the card type mentioned and still maintain the effect of inflicting damage. This is because the timing has been missed; the card in question has already been activated.
Some Continuous Trap Cards become monsters when activated, known as Trap Monsters. An example of a Trap Monster is "Metal Reflect Slime", which has high DEF. A Trap Monster is considered both a Continuous Trap Card and a monster simultaneously, so it can be affected by both cards that affect monsters and cards that affect Continuous Trap Cards.
Activating the card and effect in the same Chain Link
As long as they both meet their activation timings, you can activate a Continuous Trap Card and only one of its Trigger-like Effects or Quick-like Effects during the same Chain Link. For example, when your opponent activates "Monster Reborn", you can activate "Royal Oppression" and activate its effect in the same Chain Link.
If a Continuous Trap Card has an optional Trigger-like Effect or Quick-like Effect that can be activated during the Damage Step and that can be activated in the same Chain Link as the card itself, that Continuous Trap Card can also be activated during the Damage Step as long as the effect and card are activated in the same Chain Link. However, mandatory Trigger-like Effects cannot be activated in the same Chain Link as the card during the Damage Step.
A Continuous Trap Card cannot activate its Trigger-like Effect in the same Chain Link as the card itself if that effect sends the Continuous Trap Card to the Graveyard as a cost, because the Continuous Trap Card is not face-up on the field at the time it is activated. Additionally, the cards "All-Out Attacks", "Light Spiral", "Natural Disaster", "Swiftstrike Armor", "Unpossessed" cannot be activated in the same Chain Link as their Trigger-like Effects.
- ↑ "Individual Card Rulings [A-C]". UDE. All-Out Attacks. Archived from the original on 17 February 2009. http://web.archive.org/web/20090217182013/http://entertainment.upperdeck.com/yugioh/en/gameplay/faqs/cardfaqs/default.aspx?first=A&last=C. Retrieved 15 February 2016.
- ↑ "Ｑ＆Ａ » ライト・リサイレンス [Q&A » Light Spiral]" (in Japanese). Konami. 14 January 2016. http://www.db.yugioh-card.com/yugiohdb/faq_search.action?ope=4&cid=7643&request_locale=ja. Retrieved 15 February 2016.
- ↑ "Ｑ＆Ａ » ナチュラル・ディザスター [Q&A » Natural Disaster]" (in Japanese). Konami. 24 September 2015. http://www.db.yugioh-card.com/yugiohdb/faq_search.action?ope=4&cid=7272&request_locale=ja. Retrieved 15 February 2016.
- ↑ "Ｑ＆Ａ » 神速の具足 [Q&A » Swiftstrike Armor]" (in Japanese). Konami. 14 January 2016. http://www.db.yugioh-card.com/yugiohdb/faq_search.action?ope=4&cid=7322&request_locale=ja. Retrieved 15 February 2016.
- ↑ "Ｑ＆Ａ » 憑依解放 [Q&A » Unpossessed]" (in Japanese). Konami. 15 November 2014. http://www.db.yugioh-card.com/yugiohdb/faq_search.action?ope=4&cid=11596&request_locale=ja. Retrieved 15 February 2016.