- This card can be searched by "Serpentine Princess", "Vampire Dragon", "Sphere of Chaos", "Photon Veil", "Familiar-Possessed - Dharc", "Magician's Circle" and "Shining Angel".
- While this card's random discard cost can be a drawback, the fact that it can be activated as soon as it's played, and multiple times while it remains face-up on the field (e.g., if a special-summoned monster is returned to the field by an effect such as "Interdimensional Matter Transporter"), often makes this card more useful than other anti-special summon cards such as "Fossil Dyna Pachycephalo". In general, "Jowgen" is a better choice in decks that rely on combos that have to be executed in a single turn. The fact that your opponent can't force the activation of "Jowgen's" effect can also be helpful, guaranteeing that it will activate at the most advantageous time.
- While possessing low ATK and DEF values, "Jowgen the Spiritualist" is a very powerful card at destroying monsters on the field and preventing Special Summoning monsters. All higher forms of "LV" monster are considered Special Summons, preventing your opponent from going any higher than the base monster's Level. "Jowgen" can also prevent use of cards like "Monster Reborn" and "Call of the Haunted" by preventing Special Summoning.
- You can also combine this card with "Ultimate Offering" and "Mysterious Puppeteer". You will be allowed to perform multiple Normal Summons and/or Sets in one turn so that you can summon your more powerful monsters without losing Life Points from the cost of "Ultimate Offering". Meanwhile, your opponent will have no choice but to only Normal Summon or Set one monster per turn.
- In addition to this, if you have "Jowgen the Spiritualist" on your side of the field, and successfully activate "Last Turn", you automatically win as "Jowgen" prevents your opponent from filling the requirement of "Last Turn".