Duelist Kingdom/Pre Duelist Kingdom ArcEdit
- It was the central card of Toei's Yu-Gi-Oh! movie. It was owned by Shougo Aoyama, who believed he was stronger than anyone when he obtained the card, although in truth he was just afraid to duel with it and lose anyway. Yugi used this card and fused it with Meteor Dragon to create the Meteor Black Dragon to defeat Seto Kaiba in a duel.
- Originally, this card was used by Rex Raptor as his signature card. During his duel with Joey, this card destroyed both Swamp Battleguard and Lava Battleguard after Rex powered it up with "Dragon Nails", but Joey then destroyed it with the effect of Time Wizard(which was thanks to some luck). As per the other effect of "Time Wizard", Rex takes damage equal to half the total ATK of this card, winning Joey the Duel. As per the stakes of the duel, Joey won this card and "Dragon Nails" from Rex.
- Joey used this card for the first time in his first Duel against Kaiba. This card then attacks and destroys Kaiba's "Rabid Horseman". Kaiba's "Blue-Eyes White Dragon" then attacks and destroys this card, defeating Joey.
- In episode 16, this card can be seen in Kaiba's briefcase when he takes out a Duel Disk from his briefcase and tosses it to Joey.
- In episode 18, this card appears within a series of flashbacks Joey has when he remembers all the times that "Time Wizard" gave him a miraculous win.
- Joey later used this card in his Duel against Bonz. This card then attacks and destroys "Pumpking the King of Ghosts", preventing Bonz from powering up his other zombies anymore. Bonz's powered-up "Dragon Zombie" then attacks and destroys this card.
- Joey used this card in his tag-team duel with Yami Yugi against the Paradox Brothers, Joey summoned this card, which was immediately fused by Yugi with his own Summoned Skull via "Polymerization" to summon Black Skull Dragon.
- Joey summoned this card in his duel against Bandit Keith in the Duelist Kingdom finals. He immediately used Copycat to duplicate Keith's Metalmorph onto this card the moment that Keith attacked it with Barrel Dragon, turning this card into the Red-Eyes Black Metal Dragon which was strong enough to counterattack against "Barrel Dragon".
- Joey used this card in his Duelist Kingdom Finals Duel with Yami Yugi. After this card was summoned, Joey activates "Graverobber" to take Yami Yugi's "Summoned Skull" and summon it onto his side of the field. Joey then activated "Copycat" and Joey chooses to have "Copycat" copy the effect of "Polymerization" (a card that Yugi previously used). Joey then used "Copycat" to fuse this card with "Summoned Skull" to Fusion Summon Black Skull Dragon.
- This card was used by Joey again in the Legendary Hero Arc. Joey first used it to destroy a "Sand Stone" that ambushed the group while they were going through the desert. Later when the gang had to defeat "Gate Guardian" who was blocking the way out of the maze, Yugi used "Polymerization" to fuse "Summoned Skull" with this card to Fusion Summon "B. Skull Dragon". Later Joey summoned it in the battle against the "Mythic Dragon". When Mokuba was about to be attacked by the "Mythic Dragon", Joey ordered his "Red-Eyes B. Dragon" to block it. This card was then destroyed and Joey then disappeared because his Life Points hit zero. This card then later powered up "Dragon Master Knight", allowing it to destroy "Mythic Dragon".
Battle City/Virtual World ArcsEdit
- After Yugi tells Joey about the Ante rule in Battle City, Joey takes this card out and notes that means someone can take away this card from him if he loses. He then claims this card is his goddess of victory, and he'll just keep winning to get one rare card after another.
- In episode 55, this card is shown on the computer screen as Joey's rarest card when he tries to register in competing in Battle City.
- When Joey tries to register for Battle City, the Rare Hunter in charge of registration was going to deny his entry due to his skill level being too low, but he notices that this card is Joey's rarest card. Seeing how rare this card is, the Rare Hunter ultimately changes Joey's Level secretly so he can be registered in Battle City, but only so that the Rare Hunters could acquire this card. After Yugi and his friends leave, the Rare Hunter calls some other Hunters and states that he found a nice catch for them.
- Later, during the night, Joey heads off to the hospital was forced to duel against Seeker, when the Rare Hunters ambushed him. Joey summoned this card near the end of the Duel by sacrificing Panther Warrior and Alligator's Sword. This card then destroyed Seeker's "Death Hand". On the last turn, Seeker successfully summoned Exodia by getting all five pieces into his hand. He then uses "Exodia" to destroy this card, defeating Joey. As per the Battle City rules, Seeker and the Rare Hunters took this card from Joey.
- Yugi won this card back from Seeker the next day, but Joey let Yugi keep it for the remainder of the tournament, until he became a good enough duelist to challenge him.
- Yami Yugi, after watching Joey defeat Espa Roba, would take this card out and look at it. Yugi notes that this card is Joey's courage and that Joey wants to win it back after Battle City is over.
- When Joey was about to lose against Weevil he remembers Yugi telling him that he'll keep this card until Joey becomes a true duelist.
- After Yugi saw Joey's win over Weevil Underwood, he takes this card out and notes Joey was able to win without this card's assistance. He then notes he will soon be able to return this card back to Joey, but Marik had previously warned him about 'The Quiet One', so he wonders where that Rare Hunter is.
- In episode 74, this card appears in a flashback Yami Yugi has when he notes he must save Joey from Marik.
- This card also appeared within some of the small clips that were shown going through a black background before we see a montage of Yugi's Battle City Duels.
- When Marik Ishtar controlled Joey into dueling Yugi, Yugi included this card into his deck in hopes that it would break through the Millennium Rod's control. Yugi activated Exchange in the middle of the duel, showing Joey the Red-Eyes, which did indeed temporarily return him to his normal self. Yugi then summoned this card by sacrificing Big Shield Gardna and Kuriboh, and then used it to destroy Joey's Alligator's Sword. Joey then activated Attrition. He then had Rocket Warrior attack this card. Because of "Rocket Warrior"'s effect, it wasn't destroyed and Joey took no Battle Damage. "Rocket Warrior"'s effect then reduced this card's ATK to 1900. "Attrition"'s effect then reduced the Red Eyes' ATK to 400. Once Joey ended his turn, the effect of "Rocket Warrior" expired, increasing this card's attack to 900. At some point, Marik ordered Joey to attack this card with "Panther Warrior", so that way he can win the duel and get what he wants, however Joey orders "Rocket Warrior" to attack "Beta The Magnet Warrior", but Yugi activates "Magical Arm Shield" to redirect the attack to "Panther Warrior". After Yugi lost the duel due to not wanting Joey to die, Joey used Meteor of Destruction's side effect to force Red-Eyes into attacking him directly, resulting in his Life Points dropping to 0 and ending the duel in a Draw.
- In episode 75, this card appears in a flashback Yugi has when he remembers the promise Joey made to him about winning back this card once he becomes a true duelist.
- In episode 78, this card appears in a series of flashbacks Joey has when he starts to remember that he is a Duelist(as Marik brainwashed him into Dueling Yugi and defeating him).
- In episode 99, this card appears when Yami Yugi was building his Virtual World Deck before his Duel with Gansley. This card is one of the few known cards that Yami Yugi selects to be placed into his Deck.
- This card was briefly seen when Seto Kaiba was building his Virtual World deck before his duel with Leichter, though he did not select it.
- In episode 124, this card appears in a flashback Yugi has when he remembers the promise Joey made to him around the start of Battle City.
- In episode 129, this card is seen in a flashback Yugi has when he remembers the last time he used "Exchange" and how the latter card helped him save Joey from Marik's mind control.
- In the Battle City finals, Yugi summoned this card during his duel with Kaiba by using The Flute of Summoning Dragon's side effect. Kaiba attempted to destroy it with one of his Blue-Eyes White Dragons, but Yugi activated Spellbinding Circle, weakening the Blue-Eyes. This allowed Red-Eyes to counterattack and destroy the weakened "Blue-Eyes". Yugi then attempted to switch this card to Defense Position, but Kaiba forced it to stay in Attack Position with "Final Attack Orders". This card then contributed in giving "Dark Paladin" a power up from its own effect along with Kaiba's "Blue-Eyes Ultimate Dragon" (later split back into three "Blue-Eyes White Dragons" due to Yugi's "De-Fusion").
- In episode 135, this card is seen in a flashback Yugi has when he remembers that he couldn't have defeated Kaiba without Joey's help. This card is also shown in another flashback Yugi has when he explains to Kaiba that he and Joey defeated Kaiba with this card which he allowed Yugi to keep in his Deck for the time being. Yugi then takes the card off his Duel Disk and shows this card to Kaiba while explaining that this card isn't an ordinary card as its strength comes from the bond between himself and Joey.
- During Yugi's duel with Yami Marik, Yugi banishes this card via "Ragnarok". This monster was then seen as one of the many monsters that were used to hold down Yami Marik's The Winged Dragon of Ra.
- In episode 143, this card is shown in two flashbacks Kaiba has. One flashback Kaiba had was when he remembered losing against Yugi at the tower. The other flashback Kaiba had(which was a continuation of the previously-mentioned flashback) was when he remembered Yugi showing him this card and explaining to Kaiba that this card was given to him by a friend and it in turn gave him the power that brought him victory. This card also appeared in two flashbacks Yugi had. The first flashback was when Yugi remembered that he had offered Joey this card back after winning it back from the Rare Hunter, but Joey refused as he wanted to wait until he can prove that he was worthy of getting it back. The other flashback Yugi had was when he remembered winning Joey back from Marik's mind control and telling him they defeated Marik together.
- After Battle City is done, Yugi and Yami Yugi rebuild their Deck for their Duel against Joey as they promised to Duel each other when Joey becomes a strong enough Duelist. As they are rebuilding it, Yugi holds up this card and then both Yugi and Yami Yugi nod to each other as they know that the upcoming Duel with Joey will determine if Joey is strong enough to win this card back under his possession.
- In Yugi and Joey's post-Battle City duel, Joey is assumed to have won this card back, as he has it in the next season.
Waking the DragonsEdit
- In episode 148, this card is seen among piles of cards in Rex's fantasy when he thinks the reason why Pegasus invited Yugi and his friends was because he wanted to give them rare cards just for them.
- In episode 159, this card appears in one of two flashbacks Weevil and Rex have when they remember their losses against Yugi and Joey respectively in Duelist Kingdom and declare to Dartz they want revenge against Yugi and Joey for those losses.
- In Joey's rematch duel with Rex Raptor, he summoned this card using Star Blaster and equipped it with Metalmorph. Joey then had this card attack Rex's Horned Saurus with "Metalmorph" increasing this card's ATK equal to half of "Horned Saurus"' before the attack destroyed "Horned Saurus. This card was then destroyed by Rex's Tyrant Dragon. Rex then revived it with Chain of the Underworld which also reduced this card's ATK by 700 and allowed Joey to draw a card. Rex then sent Tyrant Dragon to destroy this card again due to "Tyrant Dragon"'s effect, but Joey used Celebration of Creation to end Rex's turn. Joey later fused this card with The Claw of Hermos in order to create the Red-Eyes Black Dragon Sword.
- In episode 161, this card is shown in a flashback that Rex has when he remembers how he lost to Joey in Duelist Kingdom.
- During Joey's duel with Valon, he played Red-Eyes Transmigration, offering this card from his hand and a Player Token created from Aura Armor as tributes to Ritual Summon Lord of the Red. Valon later used Extinction Fist to destroy "Lord of the Red" and return this card and the "Player Token" to the field. Later Joey tributed this card to activate "Big Bang Dragon Blow"'s effect.
- Immediately afterwards, in his rematch duel with Mai, Joey summoned this card by using Knight of Dark Dragons' effect, then immediately fused it with The Claw of Hermos to create the Red-Eyes Black Dragon Sword.
- In episode 181, this card appears in a flashback Yami Yugi has when he remembers Dueling Joey at the docks of Battle City while Joey was possessed by Marik.
- In episode 182, Joey Summons this card to aide in the battle against The Great Leviathan. Yami, Joey, and Kaiba, after bringing out three monsters each, then summoned their Legendary Dragons. Yami then used "Legend of Heart" to transform the Dragons into the three Legendary Knights. All the monsters summoned by Yami, Joey, and Kaiba then attack The Great Leviathan, but it doesn't work. When the Great Leviathan counterattacks, Yami quickly has Timaeus absorb the power of "Big Shield Gardna" to protect everyone from the attack. While this saves the chosen Duelists and the Legendary Knights, it doesn't save the other monsters summoned by the Chosen Duelists as they were destroyed by the attack.
KC Grand PrixEdit
- This card's only appearance in the KC Grand Prix was when Joey summoned it with Star Blaster in his duel against Zigfried von Schroeder. It then destroyed Zigfried's Valkyrie Erste after Joey's "Maximum Six" failed to destroy "Valkyrie Brunnhilde" due to its effect. This card was later removed from play by Zigfried's Enchanted Sword Nothung.
Millennium World/Ceremonial Battle ArcsEdit
- In episode 219, Joey Summoned this card to fight Zorc and his evil zombies. Despite all the attacks that Yugi and his friends and allies threw at Zorc, he remains unharmed by the attacks. Zorc then destroys Tristan's "Super Roboyarou", this monster, and Téa's "Fire Sorcerer".
- Joey merged with this monster, which briefly became his armor, but his mind became controlled by a sword's evil curse that was also controlling Red-Eyes Black Dragon. Yugi was able to reverse the curse by removing the sword lodged within, and Red-Eyes Black Dragon soon became Joey's partner in this arc.
- Joey would later send this monster to battle Five-Headed Dragon, but Five-Headed Dragon could not even be harmed by it, because Red-Eyes Black Dragon was not a LIGHT monster.
- He'd also used this monster in the final episode of this arc, in the battle against Alexander the Great and his subjects.
- During the brainwashed Atticus' first Duel against Jaden Yuki, he Summoned this card by offering two "Troop Dragons" as Tributes. This card then attacks and destroys "Elemental HERO Wildheart". After Jaden got out "Elemental HERO Rampart Blaster", Nightshroud activated "Inferno Fire Blast" to inflict damage to Jaden equal to this card's ATK at the cost of forbidding this card from attacking this turn. It was later destroyed by Jaden's "Elemental Hero Thunder Giant" in a Double KO as both monsters had the same ATK. Nightshroud/Atticus later Summoned a second one by Tributing "Red-Eyes Black Chick". Nightshroud then Tributed that copy to summon "Red-Eyes Darkness Dragon". Both copies of this card are then seen being absorbed into the "Red-Eyes Darkness Dragon" along with every other Dragon-type monster in Nightshroud's Graveyard.
- In episode 49, this card is seen in Slade Princeton and Jagger Princeton's briefcase, and is drained by the "Sacred Beasts" for Kagemaru. After Jaden defeats Kagemaru, the cards in the briefcase are restored.
- "Normal" Atticus later used this card in his Duel against Zane Truesdale (in his form of "Hell Kaiser"). Like before, he Summoned it by using "Red-Eyes Black Chick"'s effect. Atticus then activated "Inferno Fire Blast". This card was later offered as a tribute to Summon "Red-Eyes Darkness Dragon". Zane later takes this card out of the Graveyard and equips it to "Cyberdark Dragon" via its own effect. This card played no other part in the duel after that.
- During Nightshroud's "rematch" against Jaden, he Summoned this card by using the effect of "Red-Eyes Black Chick" and once again used it to activate "Inferno Fire Blast". He then offered it as a tribute to Summon "Red-Eyes Darkness Dragon". Jaden later banish this card via "Hero's Rule 1: Five Freedoms".
- Atticus used this card when he Dueled against Yusuke Fujiwara. It is discarded from the top of his Deck to the Graveyard via the effect of "Clear Phantom". He later brought this card back with "Swing of Memories"(He initially forgot due to Nightshroud's powers making him forget the cards in his Graveyard until Jaden and Jesse reach out to him). This card then destroys "Clear Rage Golem". This card is destroyed on the End Phase due to the last effect of "Swing of Memories". Atticus then banishes "Red-Eyes Wyvern" to summon back this card. This card is then attacked by "Clear Vice Dragon" whose effect makes its ATK equal to twice the ATK of this card until the end of the Damage Step, but Atticus activates "Burst Breath" to Tribute this card and destroy "Clear Vice Dragon". Atticus later adds this card back to his hand via "Dark Factory of Mass Production". Atticus then Summoned this card by Tributing "Red-Eyes Black Chick". Atticus then used this card's presence to activate "Inferno Fire Blast". This card is then attacked by "Clear Rage Golem" with "Attribute Mastery" destroying this card before Damage Calculation, however Atticus then activates "Red-Eyes Burn" to inflict the ATK of "Red-Eyes" to both players as damage, ending the Duel in a draw. In reality everything after the summoning of "Clear Vice Dragon" had all taken place in Atticus' mind as Yusuke was trying to find Atticus' darkness. Yusuke then attacked this card with "Clear Vice Dragon" with its ATK becoming double the ATK of this card's ATK until the end of the Damage Step. Atticus then activated "Burst Breath", but Yusuke negated it with "Attribute Mastery". The attack continues, destroying this card and winning the Duel for Yusuke.
- This monster's statue appeared in Yu-Gi-Oh! ZEXAL - Episode 015.
- In the Spanish dub of the Anime, this card was known as "Dragón Negro de Ojos Rojos".
- In Yu-Gi-Oh! 3D Bonds Beyond Time, Paradox used this card in his Duel against Yugi Muto, Jaden Yuki, and Yusei Fudo. He sends this card from his Deck to the Graveyard to Special Summon "Malefic Red-Eyes B. Dragon". After Paradox is defeated, this card is returned to the time that Paradox stole it from.
- This monster's attack was called Black Fire Bullet (黒炎弾 Kokuendan) in the Japanese anime and "Inferno Fire Blast" in the English dub.