| Battle Phase
The Battle Phase (Japanese: バトルフェイズ Batorufeizu) is the Phase in which battles are conducted. A Battle Phase can be conducted every turn except the first turn of the Duel, after the turn player ends their Main Phase 1.
The Battle Phase is split into four steps:
The Start Step, Battle Step, and End Step always occur during every Battle Phase, unless skipped due to a card effect. The Damage Step only occurs if a monster's attack is successful, up to the point where both players agree to leave the Battle Step. If a card effect ends the Battle Phase (such as "Battle Fader"), it immediately becomes the End Step, unless the card effect changes the phase directly (such as "Neko Mane King"), in which case it is no longer the Battle Phase.
Entering the Battle Phase
You do not need to control any monsters in order to enter the Battle Phase. Even if your opponent controls no valid attack targets (e.g. 2 face-up copies of "Marauding Captain", a face-up "Earthbound Immortal" monster), you may still enter the Battle Phase.
Entering your Battle Phase is optional after your Main Phase 1 ends, except when card effects mandate it. For example, you must enter the Battle Phase if you control a face-up Attack Position "Berserk Gorilla", even if another card effect would prevent you from attacking, such as a face-up "Gravity Bind". If the turn player does not choose to enter their Battle Phase after their Main Phase 1 ends, they must proceed immediately to the End Phase, without entering their Main Phase 2.
If a card effect skips your Main Phase 1, such as that of "Timeater", you do not have to enter your Battle Phase from your Standby Phase—you may choose to enter your End Phase instead. If a card effect skips both your Main Phase 1 and your Battle Phase, you cannot enter your Main Phase 2 and must proceed immediately to your End Phase.
- ↑ Konami. Yu-Gi-Oh! Trading Card Game - Official Rulebook Version 9.1. pp. 30, 33. http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/File:Rulebook_v9.1.pdf.
- ↑ Konami. Absolute Powerforce - Card Rulings (Version 1.0). Battle Fader. http://www.yugioh-card.com/en/gameplay/rulings/ABPF_sneak_ruling.pdf.
- ↑ Konami TCG Strategy Site: Striking from the Darkness: Marik's Juragedo
- ↑ "Individual Card Rulings [A-C]". UDE. Command Knight. Archived from the original on 17 February 2009. http://web.archive.org/web/20090217182013/http://entertainment.upperdeck.com/yugioh/en/gameplay/faqs/cardfaqs/default.aspx?first=A&last=C. Retrieved 25 November 2015.
- ↑ "Individual Card Rulings [A-C]". UDE. Berserk Gorilla. Archived from the original on 17 February 2009. http://web.archive.org/web/20090217182013/http://entertainment.upperdeck.com/yugioh/en/gameplay/faqs/cardfaqs/default.aspx?first=A&last=C. Retrieved 18 August 2015.
- ↑ Konami. Yu-Gi-Oh! Trading Card Game - Official Rulebook Version 9.1. pp. 30. http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/File:Rulebook_v9.1.pdf.
- ↑ "Individual Card Rulings [S-T]". UDE. Timeater. Archived from the original on 26 February 2009. http://web.archive.org/web/20090226221425/http://entertainment.upperdeck.com/yugioh/en/gameplay/faqs/cardfaqs/default.aspx?first=S&last=T. Retrieved 18 August 2015.