"Amazoness Trainee" and "Amazoness Queen".
"Amazoness" (アマゾネス Amazonesu) is an archetype of female EARTH-Attribute Warrior-Type monsters (with the exception of "Amazoness Tiger", who is a Beast-Type monster) that were introduced in Labyrinth of Nightmare, with further support in Magician's Force and Duelist Revolution. Their names include "Amazoness", with the exception of "Amazon Archer", which in Gold Series 3 was changed to "Amazoness Archer". Although "The Unfriendly Amazon" is similar in name, it is not considered an "Amazoness".
The "Amazoness" monsters have average ATK and effects, and are designed either to weaken the opponent's monsters or strengthen themselves. Key cards include "Amazoness Village", "Amazoness Paladin", "Amazoness Tiger", and "Amazoness Queen".
With the additions to the "Amazoness" archetype in Duelist Revolution, they have more support for field-flooding and field control. Using "Amazoness Village", "Amazoness Willpower", and "Queen's Pawn" allows them to swarm the field much faster and more easily. "Amazoness Queen", "Amazoness Heirloom", and "Amazoness Scouts" can help keep your "Amazoness" on the field while you increase their ATK with "Amazoness Village" and "Amazoness Fighting Spirit".
While their ATK is often weak for their Level, cards such as "Amazoness Tiger" and "Amazoness Paladin" increase in strength relative to the number of other "Amazoness" on the field. "Amazoness Trainee" increases in strength for every monster she destroys. "Amazoness Queen" protects all "Amazoness" monsters from destruction in battle, while "Amazoness Sage" can destroy one Spell or Trap Card at the end of each attack; with these two cards alone, a player can defend his or her monsters, while slowly dismantling an opponent's back row.
- When the "Amazoness" cards are played in the English dubbed anime, they are re-drawn to be less revealing in appearance. While in TCG until recently, most of them weren't censored, unlike similar female monsters such as "Harpies".
Common build strategies for this archetype include:
- Solidarity Build: Run multiple copies of "Solidarity" to give each of your "Amazoness" an 800 ATK boost. This build requires eliminating all non-Warrior cards from your deck, including "Amazoness Tiger".
- Burden Build: Use "Burden of the Mighty" to weaken an opponent's monsters, making them more susceptible to attacks by your medium-strength "Amazoness" monsters. However, this strategy is somewhat obsolete due to the current dominance of Xyz Monsters. But you can supplement this strategy with cards like "Gozen Match" and "Rivalry of Warlords" to hinder them from Xyz Summoning.
- Synchro Build: Warrior tuners such as "Sword Master", "T.G. Striker", "Comrade Swordsman of Landstar" and "X-Saber Pashuul" can be employed to summon Synchro Warriors such as "Gaia Knight, the Force of Earth" and the X-Saber synchros. "Rose, Warrior of Revenge", a 4-star Tuner, can be used in conjunction with most four-star "Amazoness" (that is, every "Amazoness" except "Amazoness Queen", "Amazoness Blowpiper" and "Amazoness Scouts") to Synchro Summon "Colossal Fighter", which gains an additional 100 ATK for every Warrior-type "Amazoness" in the Graveyard. With a Synchro build, "Amazoness" players must use their best judgment in using their "Amazoness" as Synchro Material, versus relying on them for a "flood the field" strategy. They can also be used for Synchro Summoning most Naturia Synchro Monsters: "Naturia Beast", "Naturia Barkion" and "Naturia Landoise" for negating opposing Spells, Traps, and Effect Monsters, respectively. However, using "Solidarity" is NOT recommended in this type of build as it can easily rendered useless if any of non-Warrior type Synchro Monsters is start hitting the Graveyard.
- Xyz Build: Most Amazoness monsters are Level 4, and is perfect for setting up Xyz Summons. Using "Goblindbergh", "Photon Thrasher", and "Heroic Challenger - Double Lance" can speeding up the process of Xyz Summoning Rank 4 monsters. Notable choices are "Number 39: Utopia" and "Heroic Champion - Excalibur".
- Amazoness are very resilient. They don't rely on the grave or card effects. Meaning that you can run cards like skill drain, macro cosmos, and to a lesser extent cards like rivalry of the warlords and gozen match. Theses alone can shut down many of the top meta decks.
Massive field control comes at a cost. As EARTH monsters, "Amazoness" have trouble when fighting Decks with a strong focus of Spell and Trap Cards. "Amazoness" Decks cannot break through Spells and Traps that can stop their attacks, like "Messenger of Peace", "Level Limit - Area B", and "Gravity Bind". Cards such as "Dust Tornado", "Mystical Space Typhoon", "Seven Tools of the Bandit", and Xyz Monsters can counter such plays.
"Amazoness" Decks may struggle against Decks designed to counter an opponent's Spells and Traps, as most "Amazoness" builds rely on cards such as "Solidarity" and "Amazoness Village" to flood the field and boost their monster's ATK. Cards such as "Dark Bribe", "Judgment of Anubis", "Solemn Warning" and "Solemn Judgment" prove useful against such Decks.
"Skill Drain" can be problematic to any Amazoness decks, due to most of their monsters are either have Continuous Effects or effects that can only be useful while battling.
Over-reliance towards "Amazoness Village" makes this deck struggle. Without it, this deck usually suffers from not having enough resources to maintain field presence, which Amazoness Village can provide. To remedy this problem, a player can either add more external support such as "Marauding Captain" and "Warrior Lady of the Wasteland", add more draw power via "Pot of Duality", "Reckless Greed", and/or "Shard of Greed", or add protection via "Safe Zone", "Forbidden Lance", and/or "Fiendish Chain".