Aside from the obligatory alternate folding feature, and a cosmetic refit, this Disk functions identically to the KC mass production Disk. The shift from standby to active mode of this version of the Duel Disk is much less pronounced than the KC mass production variant, only requiring the top section of the card platform to extend.
An updated version of the Academia Disk has the color of the user's dorm on it. In season four, the students use these new Duel Disks.
Unlike previous models, there is no sound effect when cards are placed on the Duel Disk to signify that the Duel Disk recognizes and activates a specific card.
Duel Academy students originally used the KC mass production Disk, before this one was introduced. In the final season of Yu-Gi-Oh! GX, color variations were released. Students got red, yellow or blue disks depending on the color of their dormitory. Other variations of the Academia Disk exist, such as those used by Amnael and Adrian Gecko. Duelists in Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's often use Duel Disks that resemble the Academia Disk, but they come in different color combinations.
In the Yu-Gi-Oh! GX manga, the Academia Disk is shown to have a further function. The central "gem" functions as a screen that a Duelist can use to check cards Set by partners in Tag-Team Duels, as well as to check cards in the Graveyard of their partners and opponents.
As with the KC mass production Disk and Chaos Duel Disk, Mattel made replicas of the Academia Disk. They fixed one of the main problems of the Disks by resizing the Zones to fit cards with protective sleeves. However, it can only hold 40 cards with sleeves. Many of the other problems remained, including:
- No place for banished cards and the Fusion Deck.
- Straps are one size only. This was a major problem for players who were bulky in the wrist region and used the Academia Disk in order to save space and not use a table or for fans who wished to use the disk as part of a cosplay outfit.
- The Life Point counter is still limited to 9990.
- Owners of the Academia Disk accounted that between different Academia Disk that there was a variance of 34 - 40 cards held within the Deck Zone.
This Duel Disk is the first one that is identical to its anime counterpart. Although the main flaw with the Duel Disk was addressed in the new Academia Disk, many of the major flaws still remained unaddressable. Although the Duel Disks are perceived as "toys", few use the Academia Disk in place of taking up space on a table. Along with the release of the Academia, Mattel produced a specialized carrying pack for the new disks, although none have been used or seen in stores. Due to past sales of the Academia Disk and the limited popularity with the toy as a dueling medium, Mattel discontinued the production of the Academia Disk several months after its release.
A Slifer Red Academia Disk was released in Japan in November 23, 2007, retailing at ¥5985 (¥5700 excluding tax). Also included with the product were 100 card sleeves, a card case, three Booster Packs: Tactical Evolution, Gladiator's Assault and Phantom Darkness and five promotional cards: "Elemental Hero Prisma", "Card Ejector", "Hidden Armory", "Assault Armor" and "Evil Blast".
In Yu-Gi-Oh! World Championship 2008, the player can unlock the red disk, if the player win Tag Tournament Mode one time. The player can unlock the yellow disk, by winning ten single duels. The player can unlock the blue disk, if the player participated in the Japanese WC Tournament.
In Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's World Championship 2009: Stardust Accelerator, the player can unlock the red Academia Disk by winning the level 1 tournament, the yellow one by clearing the Tag tournament and the blue one by winning ten Wi-Fi Duels.
In Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's World Championship 2010: Reverse of Arcadia, the player can purchase this Duel Disk in red, yellow or blue from Chihiro for 5 Star Chips.
In Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's World Championship 2011: Over the Nexus the player can purchase the Red Academia Disk from Kazuhiro for 5 Star Chips.
- ↑ Yu-Gi-Oh! GX episode 1: "The Next King of Games"
- ↑ Yu-Gi-Oh! GX episode 157: "The Approaching Threat! A Mysterious Visitor"
- ↑ Yu-Gi-Oh! GX episode 45: "Amnael's Endgame, Part 1"
- ↑ Yu-Gi-Oh! GX episode 111: "Head in the Clouds: Part 1"
- ↑ Yu-Gi-Oh! GX Chapter 47: "Birth of the Ultimate Tag!!"
- ↑ Yu-Gi-Oh! GX Chapter 62: "The Ultimate Planet Series!!"
- ↑ konami.jp Yu-Gi-Oh! Academia Disk Osiris Red